Win XP Failing to move past POST screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP Failing to move past POST screen

Right, I'm visiting home and my parents have asked me to look into fixing up some old computers they have.

The main one is one of my old gaming rigs from ~2006-2009, running Windows XP home edition, ASUS M2N SLIDeluxe Motherboard, 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU, 8800GTX GPU. (Might be a little out on the specs but this is what I gathered)

So what happens?

Plugged in power, PS2 keyboard, USB mouse, DVI monitor (later used DVI to VGA cable adapter). Switch on the PC and several things can happen, at random it seems.

1. Fans and drives start up, internal case light comes on, nothing displayed on the monitor and no beeps of any kind.

2. Fans and drives start up, internal case light comes on, display has solid light as if there is something to show but is black screen, single beep.

3. Fans and drives start up, internal case light comes on, single beep and display is the M2N screen with "press del to run boot menu"

Here's the fun part, when option 3 occurs, I can't do anything. The keyboard doesn't function (I've tried all available keyboards in the house, mixture of USB and PS2). So I'm left sat there looking at the screen, at times I've left it for 1 hour to see if it'll move itself along but it never does forcing me to go for the power button (sometimes holding for 10secs to turn off, or sometimes just tapping it causes it to turn off).

I've been frantically googling stuff but haven't found anything of note. I've removed the CMOS battery, even replaced it with a new one, and that hasn't improved anything. Tried inserting the old XP disk in the hope that it'd try to boot from that and again only get the 3 different outcomes.

This is a little pet project to help my parents out but also has the added benefit of me having a rig that'll run PR when I'm home.

Any help greatly appreciated, also if you think of any questions for more information please ask and I'll do my best to answer them!

Regards,
    Animal
    AnimalMother
    Ex TG-31st LR
    "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
    sigpic

Arte et Marte

Re: Win XP Failing to move past POST screen

Visually inspect the main board for damage.

Disconnect all sata devices.

Try a single stick of memory at a time.

Swap video card with known good one.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Re-seat your RAM.
      Blow out dust inside.
      Do a quick check to make sure you don't have any blown capacitors on your motherboard.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What they said. Or even start with on board video (if available) + 1 stick of RAM. Also, check power supply / swap it for a known good one. If no post, swap for other stick of RAM. Start with the bare minimum and keep adding parts one by one until you can isolate the problem. If you can't even POST with on board video + 1 stick of RAM (or the other) and you know you have a good power supply, you might be SOL. As others said, look closely at mobo for bulged caps, etc.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks guys,

So I unplugged everything from the mobo except x1 stick of RAM, CPU, PSU, GPU (we don't have the adapter at the moment to use the mobo internal gfx).

Still a little hit and miss as to what happens but at least now it beeps every time and more often I get the splash screen prompting me to press delete for the BIOS menu (downside being though that the keyboard is not 'activated' at this time).

More and more though I'm thinking that this is a SOL scenario where the fact its old (almost 10 years) and has been dormant some time too (last boot up was probably ~4 years ago) has compunded.

Hoping to get the right adapter for the internal mobo gfx, failing that might be a case of buying some cheaper components to make a 'new' build.
          AnimalMother
          Ex TG-31st LR
          "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
          sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

One thought I had was concerning the PSU. Is there any problems with it? After you said that it has been dormant, you made me think that it might be a good idea to check that as well.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

If you are running barebones and keyboard is still non-responsive, your mobo's ports are probably bust. This could mean a bursted/fried cap somewhere between the controller and the actual ports, the USB controller itself is dead, the physical port itself failed (along with every other USB port), and in some cases partially-corrupted BIOS. Now with this said, is there a front panel USB header pin on the motherboard? If there is, try hooking up a USB adapter to the USB pin, and the keyboard to the adapter's ports.

Fairly sure the M2N uses Award BIOS. In which case a single beep would represent the beginning of POST. You might get a slightly longer beep after POST to indicate successful POST. I have a couple of more recent boards that don't have POST success beeps. Then again even newer boards don't even beep (or won't unless something major is wrong, like overheating or dead GPU).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Last year I replaced my cousins' CPU and it was doing exactly the same thing yours is doing(black screen + beep and could not load POST)

Comment

Little bit of a late reply but last year I replaced my cousins' CPU and it was doing exactly the same thing yours is doing(black screen + beep and could not load POST)

However I am pretty sure a shot mobo does exactly the same.

Comment

Ok situation solved.

Managed to get my hands on some other RAM.

In addition to this whilst waiting for that I pulled everything apart (less the CPU from Mobo) and gave everything a thorough clean out (as mentioned earlier this was old and neglected).

So it would seem that a little TLC and some new RAM fixed whatever was stopping the keyboard from working and the random failed boot ups.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions, now just to spend a little more money on it so I have somewhere to play PR when I'm visiting my parents!
                    AnimalMother
                    Ex TG-31st LR
                    sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...