Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

Anybody manage to download and try Windows 10 release?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: Windows 10

I am still waiting on my reservation, but a few of my friends on Facebook say that so far they like it. I have the ugly feeling that even though I reserved as soon as I could, I am probably going to be one of the guys that has to wait a few weeks to get it.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Comment

downloaded... waiting till the weekend to pull the trigger on installing.

Comment

I already have it.

My hardware for reference:
        Originally posted by Acreo's PC
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard (Intel Z77 chipset)
        Intel Core i7 3770K (3rd generation)
        2 GB nVidia GTX 670 SC
        ASUS Xonar DG (PCI-E sound card)
        32 GB of RAM
        240 GB Kingston HyperX (SSD)
        500 GB Samsung 850 EVO (SSD)
        4 TB Hitachi (HDD)
        Let me say that my motherboard and sound card are not (yet) Windows 10 compatible. Any drivers I installed were either for Windows 8/8.1 or installed via a Windows Update.

I did was not included in the first wave of updates. So I went and downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. From there I used it to upgrade to Windows 10. Then I used the same tool to create a bootable USB flash drive and did a clean install afterwards. When I was prompted for my authentication key, I chose to "skip" each prompt. The reason for this is that once I upgraded, I no longer needed to enter in a key since Microsoft knows that my PC has a already activated copy of Windows 10. This why I upgraded first! The upgrade process took about 40 minutes (download, update check, chose to keep files, installation). The USB drive installation took about 20 minutes to complete. The fresh install took about 40 minutes. All in all, I spent nearly two hours not including reinstalling drivers and apps.

If you're having trouble, there's a handy guide over at Lifehacker should you run into trouble.

I did use the computer for about an hour before doing a clean install. Battlefield 4 still launched from Chrome just fine (via Battlelog + plugin). Game did not crash. However after clean installing, there were a couple of issues:
        1) Latest version of GeForce Experience refused to install because it failed to detect my video card.
        2) Latest nVidia drivers refused to install because it failed to detect my video card.
        3) Native generic Windows driver would not work for my sound card.
        4) Battlelog plugin for Chrome does not work. Chrome (latest version) completely removes the NPAPI (outdated protocol from 1995).

#1 & #2: Gave me a headache for about an hour of trying different ways to install (as admin, safe mode, etc). Nothing worked. I searched online and there was a hotfix for the nVidia driver install failing. Installed it, rebooted, tried again. No go still. Decided to check Windows Update to see if it had a driver. It did, I let it download, rebooted, installed, video card was up and running and I could change my desktop resolution and play games again.

#3: I used my Windows 8.1 drivers. Worked just fine. I did not need to do any EXE tinkering/replacement that I did for Windows 8/8.1.

#4: Had to use Firefox + Battlelog plugin in order to launch the game. EA is behind since they have known for over a year that Google was phasing out NPAPI implementation in their Chrome browser (Edge already does not have it).

Other than that, I haven't had any other problems crop up.

I did not use the tiles in Windows 8, though looking back I could have. I used a small app called Start8 so I could have a Start Menu. Now Start8 offers a hybrid Metro/Classic look that is very similar to the current Windows 10 Start Menu (almost think they took the design from Stardock). I also had a desktop full of shortcut icons and files and I used Fences to organize and hide them. I decided I did not want a crowded desktop this time around and ditched Fences and looked for a Windows 10 solution. So I pinned my shortcuts to my Start Menu and organized them into groups. Got the Steam Tile app from the Microsoft Store so I could do the same for my Steam games.

Here's a screenshot of my progress so far:

One noticeable improvement: I get 20 more framerates in Battlefield 4. Probably a combination of new drivers and the updated OS. Windows 8.1 was ~70+ fps. Windows 10 is ~90+ fps.

I've set up Cortana (digital voice-command assistant). People have pegged it just right: it's a cross between Google Now and Apple Siri. Kinda of a best of both worlds. I like it. Getting her to recognize my voice was frustrating at times since I had a window air conditioner going. I highly suggest a quiet room when you set up Cortana. I had a brief downtime when MS's backend servers for Cortana went down. Was working again about 20 minutes later. Got funny messages like: "The Internet and I aren't getting along right now. Try again later." when those Cortana servers weren't working.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Great post Acreo, thank you!

Comment

I had no problems with the upgrade... installed and working fine... most of my games are working fine too but a couple of very important games to me have issues... wondering if anyone else is having them?

1. ArmA3, no mods, was working fine before, get a error message and can only close, never starts.

2. Orginal Ghost Recon, my old favorite classic.. it starts but the whole screen is blinking during the whole run, probably a graphic card issues... which BTW is also updated.

3. OK, not a game issue... but does anyone know HOW to turn on the windows key so I can use the Windows 10 features I want... IE: game bar?

thx.

BTW, if you have a XB1... check that sub-forum for my test and comments there.
            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I got it, everything works fine and I like it. The only thing is that updates are forced, there is no pick and choose and no way to say no. There is a work around that Ms put out after so many people complained, it allows you to hide updates you don't want (like the forced Nvidia driver). The problem is that the workaround is not well advertised nor does everyone care about this but a lot of us do, here is the workaround https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 . So far other than that it looks pretty good.

Comment

Still waiting. I am considering going this direction:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-skip-th...now-1720854489
                "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
                "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

thanks

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                    I got it, everything works fine and I like it. The only thing is that updates are forced, there is no pick and choose and no way to say no. There is a work around that Ms put out after so many people complained, it allows you to hide updates you don't want (like the forced Nvidia driver). The problem is that the workaround is not well advertised nor does everyone care about this but a lot of us do, here is the workaround https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 . So far other than that it looks pretty good.
                    That's just the beginning, Chief. Win 10 is loaded with spyware. If you think Chrome is bad (botnet/spyware disguised as a browser), imagine instead of just your browser, now it's your entire operating system! No thanks.

But, most people will neither notice nor care. It's disappointing, really.
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I installed yesterday via update, then a complete format and re-install (leaving the recovery and system partitions in tact.

Working great today! It fixed a few problems I was having before on W7, and it's been enjoyable learning the new features. I'm a bit concerned over privacy "features," but any activity or compromising things I need to do (banking, etc) I do on a separate device with a VPN. So I'll ride this wave out for a bit and see where it takes.

Comment

I have Windows 7 backed upon my 1tb hard drive (storage) so if I don't like Win 10 I will plug in my usb stick and boot up Acronis True Image, quick erase my C drive, recover windows 7 from backup to my C drive and be on my way start to finish in 20 minutes.

Comment

PSA:
                          Windows 10 upgrade is tied to mobo.
                          https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...de_windows_10/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                            That's just the beginning, Chief. Win 10 is loaded with spyware. If you think Chrome is bad (botnet/spyware disguised as a browser), imagine instead of just your browser, now it's your entire operating system! No thanks.

But, most people will neither notice nor care. It's disappointing, really.
                            Care to elaborate a bit? I haven't heard this yet. Either about chrome or win 10.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hil3illy View Post
                              Care to elaborate a bit? I haven't heard this yet. Either about chrome or win 10.
                              I've seen no evidence of this either and was going to ask the same thing. I've been using Windows 10 Preview for a couple months now, and Windows 10 Pro since the 29th and have seen NO indication of anything malicious. Information security is also my profession, so I have some level of expertise in that area.

It's all FUD.
                              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X