Help me build a PC for grandpa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me build a PC for grandpa

I am building a PC for grandpa. Grandpa does email, web browsing, and watching youtube videos. He occasionally edits a word document.

His current PC is a WinXP that just needs a reinstall. However, grandpa wants a new PC. He wants Win10. I want to build him a PC with reliable components.

Budget for hardware is $300. He already has monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers. I will do the build and maintain his PC. I've been out of the scene for a few years now and could use some help.

Thanks TG

Re: Help me build a PC for grandpa

Consider an AMD APU build.
    Not everything is up to our standards, but for his use, I imagine this would work. The build allows for future upgrades in case he would like better performance. Comes out to $301.63 after mail in rebate.

As a note, if the CPU is found to be lacking a couple years from now, you can easily upgrade it to any of the FM2+ CPU chips. The quad core APU A10-7800 is supposedly around 90% better in performance capabilities and has a HD 7800 for graphics. I doubt he games though.

How long does he intend to use it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bJL8cf
    Last edited by BeSiege82; 08-03-2015, 04:28 AM.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&Q=&A=details

expand ram and storage as you like
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Namebot, that looks interesting, but it raises some concerns about value of upgrading it. That says it has a 32 Gb SSD. A review talks about how that leaves little room after installing the OS. Wouldn't you want to expand the RAM and storage? I mean no offense, but if you went by Newegg prices, you would be spending another $80 to $100 to properly expand things. Basically, you would be spending $280 for something that has a guarantee but overall is less likely to remain relevant.

This does lead me to another question. Where do the lines that separate the performance, economic, and low level chips exist? I've gotten too use to performance and high-economic chips. I only wish to be careful in what advice is offered because I gave bad advice in the past when my mother wished to get a computer. It basically last a year before it became very slow and outdated. She used it for over 6 years.

In any case, Bleeding, my suggestion is to try to get the most bang for you buck and not limit what can be installed within the budget.
        [MENTION=13034]Acreo Aeneas[/MENTION] Do you have any comments?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Thanks for setting up that list BeSiege. I hope granps will use it for at least 4 years. I do intend to spend all of the money and make it as future proof as possible.

Namebot, thanks for pointing out the mini-PC. While I'm not sure that it's the right thing, I'll make sure to check that market segment out.

Comment

Good thing you are not building a computer for this grandpa, you would need a just little more money for hardware. I am getting ready to move out my I5 3570, Gtx760 and 1155 MoBo , to something with a little more pep in it's step.

Comment

If grandpa wants more power for "email, web browsing, and watching youtube videos" then you might take a look at:

http://dellrefurbished.com/browse/?n...Price&hits=100

and make sure you use one of their regularly available coupons to make the price attractive:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/dellrefurbished.com

example optiplex 390 i3/4gb/250 @ %40 off = ~$226 after shipping and taxes

I'm sure you can think of some upgrades to add with the leftover $80
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Grandpa pulled the trigger on a Dell. He decided not to go refurbished but new.

It's an "Inspiron Small Desktop" with an Intel i3 for $380

Thanks all for suggestions!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...