Dead power supply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead power supply?

My secondary system suddenly stopped working...won't turn on, period. I pulled the PSU from the box and plugged it in...nothing. Although, should the PSU's fan spin when powered on but not hooked up to anything? It's a quality unit from PC Power & Cooling that's about 10 years old, though mostly unused for the last five.
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Dead power supply?

Curious, but have you thought about being adventurous by opening her up?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Nope, hadn't considered it. Why?
      |TG|Melee

Comment

Could be a build up of dust shorting it out.

Comment

You probably don't have a warrantee for it, so at this point, the worst that could happen is that you need to replace it or you hurt your hands.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

You could try their tech support number: http://www.firepower-technology.com/support-resources/

Yes, they were bought out by OCZ back a couple of years ago. That's about all OCZ really owns now.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              You could try their tech support number: http://www.firepower-technology.com/support-resources/

Yes, they were bought out by OCZ back a couple of years ago. That's about all OCZ really owns now.
              And OCZ was bought out by Toshiba last year.

Comment

Plug the PSU into another system and see if it works there or plug another PSU into the secondary system and see if it starts. If it doesn't check your warranty. I think PC P&C PSUs carried long warranties in the range of 10 years.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Hence why I told him he should call their tech support. See if they'll honor the old warranty.

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
                  And OCZ was bought out by Toshiba last year.
                  That's only OCZ's SSD part of the business. OCZ has/had their hands in other parts of the industry, including buying up PC & P.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As suggested above, I plugged two of the power leads into HDDs and then bridged the green and black with a paperclip...the fan on the PSU spun up. So I plugged the 24-pin power connector into the mobo and pressed the power switch on the case...nothing. So, is it the power switch or possibly something else?
                    |TG|Melee

Comment

Keep the 24 pin plugged in and bridge the 2 pins that the power switch runs to with a screwdriver. This applies the same load to the PSU and removes only the switch from test.

edit:the two pins would be on the mainboard
                      Last edited by Namebot; 08-21-2015, 05:29 PM. Reason: clarity
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Is your board fancy enough to have a maintenance power button hidden somewhere? Sometimes those power switches are near little test LEDs on the board in case there is a need to run an error code.

Comment

Any progress with Namebot's suggestion Melee?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Maybe someone should go by his house and make sure he hasn't electrocuted himself. :p
                            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks for your concern, Randy, but I'm fine. I just tried Namebot's suggestion without success, both with my new and old motherboards.

Unfortunately my mobo does not include a maintenance button or LED display.

Perhaps the next step is a new PSU.
                              Last edited by Melee; 08-24-2015, 03:11 PM.
                              |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...