monitor suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor suggestions

Looking to pick up a new monitor, well actually I'll probably pick up two. Mostly used for gaming but would like to be able to plug in my macbook for photo editing. So color reproduction is important. Would appreciate suggestions as I'm not very up to date on models/manufacturers. I'm looking for monitor arms as well if you know of good brands to look into.
    Last edited by jack^; 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM.

Re: monitor suggestions

Color reproduction -> sounds like you are looking for an IPS? What size?
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Currently use 24in monitor. Will probably stay that size or close to depending on price.

Comment

Well, I recently bought a 30" IPS. You are looking at around $1,200 for the Dell, which is said to be very well calibrated at the factory / right out of the box. In my case I don't do any photo work, so I ended up buying this 30" IPS LED from Monoprice for only $499, shipped. It's a lot of monitor for the money and I've been very happy with it. I'm not sure how accurate the color is, or even if you can adjust it or whatever (and because I'm not a stickler for color or a photographer, I haven't tried yet).

I will note that I waited months for it to be on sale at that price. Now I don't want to rush you but if you are comfortable making a snap decision it just so happens to be on sale for that price right this very moment. In my experience, they only stay at that price for a couple days at a time. But by all means if you want to do more research, take your time and do so, you can always wait around for it to come on sale again later.

I ended up in the 30" range, because I wanted to do a 20 30 20 PLP setup, so I have (2x) 20" Dells in portrait to each side, which I feel is an optimal setup (for gaming AND productivity). You can have your game / main work on the main monitor, and then other things (email, TeamSpeak, to do list, whatever) up on each side. Point being, I didn't do much if any research below that size, and so if that's where you want to end up I won't be able to give you as much info.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Desired price range? Resolution?
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Dell are the masters of the IPS panel as far as I am concerned and IPS is where you get the best colour representation from my perspective as a layman (i.e. not a graphic designer etc).

I would add to what Randy says by pointing out that you can pick up reasonably large size Dell IPS panels for less that $1200+ if you are happy to forgo some of the features that new 'gaming panels' demand. Dell IPS panels aren't specifically designed with gaming in mind so they tend to lack these feature, you know the response time is 2 ms behind some new panel from a Redbull Razer alliance. The difference being whilst the response time on the Dell IPS may 'technically' lag behind the cheaper panel the picture quality is on a different level.

Seriously a lot of the response time/black to black, grey to grey stuff is nonsense bordering on lies. So many manufacturers use differerent fudged metrics to calibrate what is purported to be an industry standard. It is not and don't let anyone tell you that it is.

My best advice. You need to actually see the monitors running to appreciate the difference. There is no more appropriate test. If on testing you find yourself drawn to the IPS side of things, don't be put off by the price tag of the current range of a quality manufacturer like Dell. Go back one generation and pick up one of their older IPS panels ( the Ultrasharp series). You may not want or need any of the new fangled gaming must haves. Seriously I see people buying 144hz monitors when they have hardware that can't run the game they want to play at 60 FPS.

Best of luck with your choices and let us all know where you end up.

Comment

Here, here on everything Wicks said re: response times, etc. That's another reason I went IPS. Better color / quality / viewing angles than a cheap TN panel, and a lot of the claimed 2ms response times are a bunch of hooey anyway, IMO.

Oh, I just wanted to add that 30" panels are one of the last bastions of glorious mustard race 16:10 (if you care about such things, I certainly do, in fact that was another big reason I went with the 30" - because 16:9 are for teevees!)! :)

Comment

Does anyone here have a G-Sync monitor? Seen one in person?
                |TG|Melee
                Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

jack^, it's pretty quiet in here, so if you're looking for more feedback try HardForum. You'll get lots of feedback quickly.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Looks to me like he has gotten several responses already, and we are just waiting for him to give additional feedback (budget, resolution, etc.) before offering / refining additional recommendations.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of info to take in but a great starting place for me. Definitely interested in the 20-30-20 setup, that looks fantastic. Budget wise i think 1200 for a single monitor is pushing it. I don't have a strict budget but 800, or even 1000-1200 for 3 monitors would be ideal. I dont know how realistic that is, haven't priced a lot of these out yet. Regarding resolution, I honestly don't have a good idea. I've been using a 24in monitor at 1920x1200 for probably at least six years now. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what resolutions to seek. I recently got a second monitor from a friend though it's smaller so the dual screen is a little skewed.

I don't need to seek the highest end specs for gaming but I do intend to game with it, so I would want it to be able to keep up. And I see your point of buying monitors that the hardware can't fully take advantage of. Which I'm sure is my current case but I am looking to build a new PC soon as well. It seems like I should be looking at Dell screens. i'll start there.

Comment

Since you are on a budget, give the Monoprice monitors a try.

This one would fit your price range nicely. 27 inches, IPS panel, 2K resolution, $360 a piece (they have volume discounts too), and very good color accuracy and performance after calibration. There are some limitations like limited backlight contrast adjustment (see the review linked below). If your budget was $1800-$2500, then you could have gone for three Dell U2713HM 27" monitor instead (typically around $600 on sale).

27" Monitor - Monihttp://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12520
                        Review - http://www.anandtech.com/show/7240/m...monitor-review
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would get a ~40 inch 4k monitor.
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

If you like the idea of a 20 30 20 setup, the good (bad?) news is that Dell no longer make the 20" 1600x1200 monitors any more. Which means a few things. First, you will probably be looking on Craigslist for 2 of them. Which can be good/bad, depending on your view of Craigslist (personally, I love it some times for certain things). At least there were a lot of them produced, so they are pretty readily available, and usually inexpensive. I want to say I probably gave $80 to some guy for both of mine ($40 each) and they were in really good condition. The last year they made them was a few years ago, so these are already a few years old. So there's that. But monitors generally tend to last a really long time.

So, if you wanted to go that route, you would be looking at around $500-600 for the center 30" (depending on sale) + say $50 for each side monitor (although you can find good ones often even less than that, well at least I can in my area) = total around $600-700 for all 3 monitors, well within your budget.

Part of the brilliance of the 20 30 20 setup is that the vertical resolution of the 30" (1600 pixels) matches exactly the horizontal resolution of the 20", so when you put it in portrait they line up perfectly. Also, dot pitch is almost exactly the same, and the bezels are very very close as well. Personally, a bunch of mismatched size monitors in a multi monitor setup always triggers my OCD. lol Similarly, (3x) 16:9 monitors next to one another is just really really wide and not very tall, which IMO is pretty useless.

For all of these reasons (plus reasons I have listed in previous posts, above) I (and many others) find the 20 30 20 setup optimal. It sounds as if you may be another convert. If so, welcome to the club. :)

Comment

If you want to know more about response time vs input lag, check out this site: http://www.displaylag.com/exposed-in...response-time/

They have a database of many modern monitors with tested input lags.

For a fast-paced game, you might want to avoid monitors with 50+ ms input lag. If you can tell the difference between a 50ms and 100ms ping, you can probably tell the difference between a 10ms and 60ms input monitor.
                              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X