Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANy thoughts?

Hey guys,

im looking for a review on my future build.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/thwNhM

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Re: ANy thoughts?

like with Yt, I would get a 120 Gb for the OS, a 240GB or 256GB for other games, and a HDD for everything else. Heck, if you have an old laptop HDD, just toss that into the tower instead of the standard tower HDD. That is what I did for my first build.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Siege, why do you insist on two separate SSD?

His single 480 will be cheaper than a 120 and a 240 while having more capacity as well.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I should have mentioned i already have a ssd 120 in my current build. I wasnt thinking about transferring it but why do you think it would be good to have one dedicated to my OS ?
        sigpic

Comment

an SSD for the OS is a very good idea

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Unless you plan on doing reinstalls of Windows often, there's no need to dedicate a separate SSD to the OS. It's just a waste of resources (money, time, free space, etc). However, if you do reinstall often, it's not a bad idea to dedicate a small 60 GB SSD to the OS. Anything more is a waste at this point. Or you can partition a larger SSD and only dedicate a 60 GB portion to the OS.

The only thing missing from your build would be a decent sound card. The Sound Blaster Audigy Fx would be my first pick. Cheap, has Windows 10 drivers, and would remove any hiss and static caused by poor shielding and EMI from other components in your motherboard. Not to mention a op-amp built in so you can use it to power higher ohm resistant headphones.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              The only thing missing from your build would be a decent sound card.
              Are sound cards still a thing? I had a high-end sound card two builds ago but I never noticed any difference between the PCs I used before that and the ones I've used since. (however I am FAR from an audiophile and happily listens to 128 kbps songs, so what do I know?)

I think that money might be better spent on a better motherboard. Don't high-end mobos usually have high-end sound built-in anyway?

Originally posted by BeSiege82 View Post
              an SSD for the OS is a very good idea
              WHYYYYY?

I'm honestly curious as well.

That being said, if you can re-use your 120GB from your current system for your OS, then the cost becomes a non-concern, and you'd have the full 480 GB drive for games.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Strait has a point, sound cards are not needed if you get a board with good sound. For example, MSi has some ok onboard sound, but it will not compare to even a low end Z series sound blaster.

As for the OS, I would just re-use the 120Gb for your OS and have other drives for games or other stuff.

I guess I've been spoiled by having the responsiveness of the computer by having an SSD for the OS and an SSD for games and a HDD for storage and work.

Comment

Depends how much much you spend on a mobo. Typically only the very best have good sound chipsets with proper EMI filtering (filters out static and pops) and op-amps built in (helps drive higher ohm headphones/headsets, typically those with greater than 32 ohms resistance). For example, the ASUS Maximus VII Formula has essentially a good sound card built-in (similar feature set to the Audigy Fx) or the Maximus VII Hero/ACU (since it looks like the Formula might be discontinued). Either board runs for about $220 on the market. The sound card I suggested was a $35 investment.

Perhaps sound isn't thought of as much now, but try to invest in a decent motherboard that has good audio integrated rather than one where the audio was an afterthought. The audio experience is just as important as the graphics experience when it comes to entertainment.

(I am an admitted novice audiophile. I like having good sound to go with my good sound equipment.)
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Whilst this is purely my personal opinion and based solely on my own experience I would stay away from any Creative sound cards. I've had at least two, maybe three (can't remember and don't want to, painful experience) and had nothing but problems with drivers and sound card induced BSOD's (something I'd seriously never had before).

I now have an Asus Xonar card and couldn't be happier, zero problems even on Win 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      (I am an admitted novice audiophile.)
                      Knew it!

I don't think you'll encounter a problem with static and popping. That seems to be more a symptom of certain very old, very cheap, or very poorly designed boards.

I use an ASUS M5A97 R2.0, a 4+ year old board that was middle-of-the road in price. I use Logitech X-540 speakers (70 Watts) and when I crank the volume on them to maximum, I can hear static if I press my ear right up to the speaker while no sound is playing. For comparison, the sound of my case fans in my right ear, from three feet away, is louder than the static in my left ear, from the speaker that would deafen me if I played sounds at that setting.

This is honestly one of the most divisive opinions in PC building right now. At the end of the day, the consensus seems to be that those with good quality speakers/headphones and "golden ears" can still notice the difference between onboard and dedicated audio. Then again, if you're wedging your PCI-E sound card right underneath a great thumping graphics card compared to onboard audio which is placed on the board in a way that keeps it away from interference... your mileage may vary. This is why those who want dedicated audio tend to go for external DAC units these days.

I tend to put dedicated audio in the same category as 120 hz monitors. Yes, you can notice the difference in some situations, but most of the time you're not going to have the content or the hardware to notice it.

PS. I concur with Wicks. My Creative sound card gave me horrible issues and I wound up removing it from my PC about a month after I got it. Granted, that was almost 5 years ago now, so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                        Whilst this is purely my personal opinion and based solely on my own experience I would stay away from any Creative sound cards. I've had at least two, maybe three (can't remember and don't want to, painful experience) and had nothing but problems with drivers and sound card induced BSOD's (something I'd seriously never had before).
                        I second this experience. While Creative cards output beautiful sound, the drivers are awful. I fought with driver issues for years in order to get audiophile sound quality from my X-Fi Platinum card. It had a headphone amp built in! However, I had to reinstall the drivers at least once a month. I pulled it from my system a few months ago...

If you want to ignore warnings about Creative, shoot me a PM and I'll sell you that card...

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. Ill probably put my current 120 ssd for my primary OS as discussed. My old pc will become my main linux box for so i wont need it anyway! I like to listen to music but usually onboard sound is good enough for me. All parts have been ordered :D

Cheers
                          sigpic

Comment

creative drivers suck, but when they work, they are great

I have a ROG crosshair formula Z and it has great sound, but the only reason why I bought my ZxR was for the option to plug in my audio equipment

Comment

Creative's gotten their stuff together the last couple of years from what I've seen. I dumped Creative years ago too due to terrible drivers and poor support. However, I'm now running a Audigy Fx again after my Xonar DG went kaput. At least Creative patched their EEPROM issue while ASUS still has not.

As for static and pops, I don't have a low-end, poorly designed board from ages ago. It was a $160 Z77 board from ASUS when I upgraded a few years ago with a very good power supply and a surge protector. I can still hear a static hiss and the occasional flutter when I use the onboard audio. The same does not happen when I use a sound card.

To each its own. Buy sound card or stick with onboard audio. You've heard the anecdotal evidence from both sides so you can make up your own mind.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X