Hit by a virus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit by a virus?

I clicked on an email from my utility that now appears to have been a trojan containing a virus. It opened Chrome and presented the "utility's" page ~30 times. When I closed each of those Chrome reopened with the same "utility" page presented twice. Rinse and repeat.

I forced the system to shut down and when I rebooted it goes to the BIOS setup screen. When I exit out it returns to the same BIOS setup screen.

Do I have any other option than to reinstall Windows?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Hit by a virus?

Sounds like it was more than a browser hijacker. Same thing happened to me last week. Accidentally opened a suspicious email and BAM infected my machine. Except it seems to have corrupted your Windows start files as well.

Suggest reinstalling Windows just to be safe.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use Acronis to keep a back up of Win 7 & 10 on my large storage HD, I back them up once a week. I keep Acronis Recovery on a usb stick, which I can boot from and recover a good version Windows and be up and running in about 10 minutes. Very handy and reassuring for times like you are having now, because the internet can be a nasty place.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
        I use Acronis to keep a back up of Win 7 & 10 on my large storage HD, I back them up once a week. I keep Acronis Recovery on a usb stick, which I can boot from and recover a good version Windows and be up and running in about 10 minutes. Very handy and reassuring for times like you are having now, because the internet can be a nasty place.
        Check out this guy! That's awesome, Chief.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

My mom got a worm on her laptop. Nasty little thing.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Picture of actual worm on laptop.jpg

lol
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'll be checking out Acronis - reinstalling Windows and everything else is a time-consuming PITA.

I had to reset CMOS by pulling the battery since the virus would not allow me to reinstall Windows. Win7 is back, but some things don't seem quite right, so I wonder if some remnants haven't been removed. I've run Avast, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware, but nothing significant seems to have been discovered. Any thoughts on whether I'm clean?
              |TG|Melee

Comment

If you did a complete wipe + reinstall, then you should be good.

I suppose it's possible that a few little settings and things (and Windows updates, etc.) that you've acquired over years of use and don't really pay close attention to might not be there any more on a fresh install, and maybe that's what you're noticing?

What sort of "things" are you talking about?

Comment

This system is only about 6 weeks old, so it should be apples to apples.

The things that I noticed:

1. Google logo not appearing on their homepage after receiving a warning (I don't recall from what) that the page may not be legitimate. Only occurred in Chrome, so I reinstalled and the problem was solved.

2. Had repeated problems trying to load Canon printer drivers from DVD. Rebooting did not solve the problem and discs for Win7 and Office 2010 worked perfectly. Canon disc loaded fine on another PC. Finally downloaded the software.

3. NEW RED FLAG - Malwarebytes is reporting attempts to contact "www.mynameisalexander.com". Google search doesn't return anything and I'm not about to go to the site.
                  Last edited by Melee; 09-18-2015, 05:26 PM.
                  |TG|Melee

Comment

I have had what I call "drive by's" that have struck me like they have you, sometimes they are unavoidable no matter what your protection is. Having an up to date operating system with all my stuff intact that I can recover in a matter of minutes has been a real lifesaver & timesaver. Even if you only back up your system once a month instead of weekly, it is well worth the time spent, as is the cost of Acronis. It takes 10 minutes or less to back up your system and about the same amount of time to recover it. I have all four of my SSD drives backed up onto my 1tb spinner hard drive, which is only used for storage. It really is an easy fix to these kind of problems

Comment

[MENTION=7529]Melee[/MENTION]

MynameisAlexander.com is a tracker. I asked Apophis about. Apparently it is a remnant of Ferris' old compromised website. From what I interpret this to mean, if you see a page pop up while on a page in the TG forum, it means that one of the people on that specific page probably uses an image in their signature that is hosted on Ferris' compromised site. If you want to know more on that, then ask Apophis.

Try wiping the drive via a linux distribution. The malware probably is not a cross platform piece of software. I believe you can make a bootable disk of linux that does not require you to actually install it on the drives. Running linux via a DVD should allow you to clean/wipe all the drives. I know Kali can allow you to do this.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

If you are making weekly backups, be sure to full a full virus and malware scan BEFORE you make the backup. Otherwise, you'll just have another PITA reinstall session.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I do, plus I keep an original first install copy of each OS.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X