Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

    What is the best way to secure a home network with a wirelss laptop? I dont like having chunky programs running the background eating my precious FPS. My wife's computer can barley run xp let alone security software. I use a router with 64bit wireless encription, but other than that I really dont use any AV or Firewall software. I have Norton AV but only as a scanner not a preventer. Is there hardware out their that provides firewall procection? Are there settings on the router that will improve network security? Thanks

  • #2
    Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

    A good NetGear Router/Firewall will go a long way for you. I would imagine that your router already has a built in firewall. What make/model is it?

    Wireless encryption is good, make sure you are running WPA and not WEP if your hardware supports it. WEP is easily breakable.

    Personally, I run a NetGear RO318 Firewall/Router with a LinkSys Wireless-G AP running WPA for my wireless. On my desktops I run the Google Toolbar which does a good job dealing with popups and spyware and has a nifty spell checker on it. I also run Norton Antivirus on the desktops.

    On your router/firewall, I would disable external ICMP/pings. This will help keep external people from even seeing your router and help avoid attack.

    This is a bit extreme for most, but I have two network segments. My wireless network sits behind the RO318 and is considered "hostile" even though I am using WPA. My internal machines sit behind a second IP that is run by a Linux based Smoothwall providing additional security, intrusion detection, and certificate based VPN capabilities.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

      i use just a linksys wireless router. instead of norton on your machines i would use zone alarm, it uses less resources and i think better for security.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

        Originally posted by Apophis
        This is a bit extreme for most, but I have two network segments. My wireless network sits behind the RO318 and is considered "hostile" even though I am using WPA. My internal machines sit behind a second IP that is run by a Linux based Smoothwall providing additional security, intrusion detection, and certificate based VPN capabilities.
        Yeah, thay don't make network gurus much more hardcore than Apophis here.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

        Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

          I have a netgear wgr614v4 I cant find the option to turn off ICMP/pings. I found this "Respond to Ping on Internet Port" which is disabled.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

            Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
            I have a netgear wgr614v4 I cant find the option to turn off ICMP/pings. I found this "Respond to Ping on Internet Port" which is disabled.
            That's the setting! And yes, you want it disabled.

            Running a local firewall application like Zone Alarm can be useful in some situations. If an application on your machine wants to get out to the net, it will alert you and you can choose to allow or deny it. The downside is it is not overly robust and won't protect any more than one machine.

            Keeping a solid antivirus application in there such as Norton is still essential.

            Some people like McAfee. But based on personal experience with both, I have found Norton/Symantec to be far suprerior. Keeping your antivirus software updated is also an essential along with all of your Windows Updates.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

              Originally posted by Pokerface
              Yeah, thay don't make network gurus much more hardcore than Apophis here.
              Heh.. Being in the network security industry has its perks. :-)
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

                That's the exact router I have JohnGalt. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed also. I've found that particular router to be rock solid for my wireless.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

                  I can't believe people still use norton or McAffe ....On all of our workstations we run AVAST! www.avast.com , Its by far the best AV on the market, although their server product is a bit pricey we won't install one without it. Acro is right, WEP is easily cracked with AirSnort or several other programs WPA is far better, and is no harder to set up
                  [TG]Slim

                  A member of the old school Scene,
                  ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

                  Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                  Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                  74Gb WD Raptor
                  Leadtek 7800GTX
                  2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
                  Zalman 7700Cu

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

                    Originally posted by Apophis
                    A good NetGear Router/Firewall will go a long way for you. I would imagine that your router already has a built in firewall. What make/model is it?

                    Wireless encryption is good, make sure you are running WPA and not WEP if your hardware supports it. WEP is easily breakable.

                    Personally, I run a NetGear RO318 Firewall/Router with a LinkSys Wireless-G AP running WPA for my wireless. On my desktops I run the Google Toolbar which does a good job dealing with popups and spyware and has a nifty spell checker on it. I also run Norton Antivirus on the desktops.

                    On your router/firewall, I would disable external ICMP/pings. This will help keep external people from even seeing your router and help avoid attack.

                    This is a bit extreme for most, but I have two network segments. My wireless network sits behind the RO318 and is considered "hostile" even though I am using WPA. My internal machines sit behind a second IP that is run by a Linux based Smoothwall providing additional security, intrusion detection, and certificate based VPN capabilities.
                    Is there a unit that can do the job of the router/firewall and wireless access point?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

                      Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
                      Is there a unit that can do the job of the router/firewall and wireless access point?
                      Yes and no, if you mean an actual AP then no, but if you mean router/firewall/wireless then any over the counter router will work fine. I prefer linksys outta the store bought brands...lots of hacks for them. www.linksysinfo.org
                      [TG]Slim

                      A member of the old school Scene,
                      ACiD, iCE, CiA, UNiON, DOD, PWA, RiSC, Razor1911,gH, l0ft....When Elite wasn't a 13 year old script kiddie

                      Athlon64 4200 Dual Core
                      Gigabyte K8N Ultra
                      74Gb WD Raptor
                      Leadtek 7800GTX
                      2GB OCZ EL Matched DDR 533
                      Zalman 7700Cu

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: NetWork Gurus and ex hackers

                        Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
                        Is there a unit that can do the job of the router/firewall and wireless access point?
                        Yes. Such solutions exist. I use one. :)
                        Motorola SBG1000. They've stopped that line, but there are similar ones from both Motorola and others.
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

                        Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

                        Comment

                        Connect

                        Collapse

                        TeamSpeak 3 Server

                        Collapse

                        Advertisement

                        Collapse

                        Twitter Feed

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X