Best SSDs currently?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best SSDs currently?

I'm in the market for a new SSD since BF4 has outgrown the old 60GB that it has always been on. I don't feel like doing a bunch of research, nor do I need the best and fastest. I just need a solid, dependable SSD. The best bang for the buck so to speak. Recommendations?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Best SSDs currently?

Based on your criteria...

Samsung 850 EVO
    Crucial
    Sandisk

Other than the 840 EVO I haven't heard of too many issues in recent high profile ssd releases so as long as you don't pick that one you'll probably be fine. Crucial BX100 256gb isn't the fastest but is cheap and seems to be very reliable going by user reviews - that might be a good fit for ya.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

In terms of sheer performance:

1. Samsung 850 Pro
      2. Samsung 850 EVO (250 GBs and greater)
      3. Crucial BX100
      4. Crucial MX200
      5. Plextor M6V
      6. Sandisk Extreme Pro
      7. JMicron JMF670H
      8. OCZ Arc
      9. Crucial MX100
      10. Crucial Neutron XT
      11. Sandisk Ultra II

The Top 6 in that list + Intel's SSDs probably are the most consistent across varying benchmarks and real world tests. Everything else under those have pros and cons depending on what your workload might be.

Plextor is something of a rising star (and has been for the last few years) in that they now have their own controller, are timely with firmware upgrades/patches, and listen very well to community feedback. Their latest M6V might not be the best overall, but is a surprisingly good change of pace from the Sandforces and Samsungs that dominate the controller space for SSDs.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What happened to the Vertex brand? I've got two that are now going on almost five years old. I've have been happy with them but I've seen them panned in some places. They didn't even make your top ten.

Oh...I see OCZ up there on your list now.

I think you are right to focus on the controllor too. The first SSD I bought didn't match as good as it should've with the motherboard. The motherboard didn't allow it to pass through data as fast as it was capable. Understanding compatability is a key step I won't forget for next time.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I can highly recommend the 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo. It's going for $95 right now on Amazon. It's been solid and plenty fast serving as a game drive.
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/DesmoLocke
          Twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/desmolocke/profile

Comment

Originally posted by DesmoLocke View Post
            I can highly recommend the 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo. It's going for $95 right now on Amazon. It's been solid and plenty fast serving as a game drive.
            I also did the Samsung Evo when I ran into the "BF4 is getting too big" issue on my older 50gig ssd. No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

1. Samsung 850 Pro
              3. Crucial BX100
              4. Crucial MX200
              5. Plextor M6V
              6. Sandisk Extreme Pro
              7. JMicron JMF670H
              8. OCZ Arc
              9. Crucial MX100
              10. Crucial Neutron XT
              11. Sandisk Ultra II

The Top 6 in that list + Intel's SSDs probably are the most consistent across varying benchmarks and real world tests. Everything else under those have pros and cons depending on what your workload might be.

Plextor is something of a rising star (and has been for the last few years) in that they now have their own controller, are timely with firmware upgrades/patches, and listen very well to community feedback. Their latest M6V might not be the best overall, but is a surprisingly good change of pace from the Sandforces and Samsungs that dominate the controller space for SSDs.
              I would be willing to wager that there are very slight speed differences between those top 10, which amount to nothing you would ever notice in the real world.

There are other factors to consider as well. The quality of the controller, and firmware that controls wear leveling and TRIM, etc. How fast will those drives be after you have written/deleted/moved stuff around on them for a few years?

SSDs also go out a lot more than most people think, and unlike an HDD, when they do you don't usually get any warning. If you care about the data you are putting on this drive, and want a quality drive with great firmware that wont slow down in a year, I would go with an Intel. Their 730 series are basically made from enterprise drives that have been overclocked for performance. They might be slightly slower than these listed, but I wouldn't wager by much, again not that it would be something you would notice in the real world.

Sometimes they cost more, but IMO worth it. And sometimes you can get lucky and find them on sale like I did for my last build.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

1. Samsung 850 Pro
                3. Crucial BX100
                4. Crucial MX200
                5. Plextor M6V
                6. Sandisk Extreme Pro
                7. JMicron JMF670H
                8. OCZ Arc
                9. Crucial MX100
                10. Crucial Neutron XT
                11. Sandisk Ultra II
                Isn't Crucial's MX200 faster than the BX100? Did you rank them taking price into account? Or is it because of the different controllers?
                |TG|Melee

Comment

Originally posted by DesmoLocke View Post
                  I will throw a vote of confidence here also. I purchased the 850 EVO 250 GB almost 2 years ago with no issues and consistent performance. I added a 500 GB version a few months back. Amazon and Newegg have been running great price promotions on them. Make sure you get the Newegg e-blast emails also since they have been offering additional $$$ off coupon codes here and there.

Comment

No love for Kingston here? Do they have a bad rep?

My Kingston V300 has performed flawlessly over the past years and is well-priced...
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Also, OCZ was bought by Toshiba, so if you do a little research into controllers, you can find Toshiba SSDs listed as OCZ and vice versa.

Also, as of now, you can't go wrong with Intel SSDs. Sure they are expensive, but they are generally reliable. I have one.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

[MENTION=6851]Grunt 70[/MENTION]

OCZ is there. Like Besiege82 said, their SSD division was recently bought out by Toshiba. They've kept the brand name, but instead have developed new products with their own hardware as a base. This new hardware (like the Arc) goes under new sub-branding to steer people's focus away from the rather rocky reputation of the Vertex lineup. Their new stuff performs well, but initially had a pretty high asking price and so popularity wasn't as high. (People want to buy an SSD but aren't willing to pay a lot of money for one. It's been a drive recently to put out lower price point products and try and differentiate in other areas.)

[MENTION=33568]Randy_Shughart_ClwFL[/MENTION]

You are correct. Minor differences in performance between the top 8 or so SSDs. The MX100 slows down quite a bit in certain tests, so it's more noticeable than "slight". They (probably closer to brand-wise division) use different controllers in their products.

[MENTION=39975]Strait Raider[/MENTION]

I didn't mention Kingston and I don't think anyone above you has either. I would say they are less relevant than they were early on in the SSD race. It's now more of a race to the bottom and trying to offer differentiation and value at differing price points. Their Fury (which is rebranding with hardware changes of their plain jane SSD value line) supposedly dropped the higher performing 3K's NAND for slower NAND. It still uses a Sandforce chip, so not the best performing compared to Marvell's and Samsung's latest controllers. Their Savage SSD uses a older Phison controller and gives some inconsistent performance. Last but not least, their SSDs cost a premium price tag for mediocre to average performance at best. (A Savage SSD can cost as much as a 850 Pro, so why not grab a 850 Pro which offers better performance and is about the same price?)

I own quite a few myself (no surprise). I've been buying them for the last 5+ years on and off as I saw a need or a good sale.

They are all being in used in a range of desktops, laptops, and a netbook. Here they all are:

Samsung
                        + 840 (120 GB, 120 GB)
                        + 840 Pro (256 GB)
                        + 850 EVO (500 GB, 250 GB)

OCZ
                        + Vertex (30 GB) - refurb

Crucial
                        + M500 (960 GB) - refurb

Kingston
                        + HyperX 3K (240 GB)

Plextor
                        + M5S (120 GB)

Mushkin
                        + Chronos Deluxe (240 GB)

Personally, I'd go with a Samsung 850 EVO as my first choice. If longevity is a concern, then the 850 Pro would be my top pick. Second choice would be a Crucial BX100 or the Plextor M6V. If you're on a budget, I'd buy a Crucial MX100 or the Sandisk Ultra II. If you have no concerns and just want a SSD to hold you over until a new rig or whatnot, then: Team Group 120 GB SSD. It's $40 on NewEgg for a 120 GB (probably Sandforce controller). Steal if you ask me.
                        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-01-2015, 10:44 AM.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've used Mushkin SSDs before and like them, but they are definitely upper but not high-end performance.

To toss a name, you might be shocked about, I bought a Seagate SSD back when the 840 Pro was on the scene. The Seagate SSD was a strong performer and it still is.

By the way, the AMD SSDs are rebranded versions of the recent high-end OCZ SSDs. And I just to say, my MX100 is working just fine.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I just re-read my own post and saw I made a mistake. XD

Second choice should be: Crucial MX100 and Plextor M6V
                            Third choice should be: Crucial BX100 and Sandisk Ultra II

The MX line is higher performing and more "premium". The BX line is supposed to be "more storage, reduced performance", though the BX100 rivals the MX100. The BX200 however might replace the BX100 completely just to offer a truly differentiator between the MX and BX lineups.

Edit: Confirmed. See: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storag...t-ssd-_-us-ssd

On a budget or a firesale, I would very quickly pick up a Mushkin SSD or any other relatively known brand. In the end, the performance differences aren't really noticed in everyday usage. If you were using them for database storage/retrieval or enterprise uses, then you'd probably want to sit there and analyze them to death to figure out which ones fit your budget and needs.

BTW, Micro Center's own SSD brand is usually a rebadged PNY, Crucial, or Adata drive. So don't overlook store brands since they usually sell the same hardware at a lower price point (and might even offer a better warranty to boot).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I went with the Samsung 850 Evo 256GB since I had a credit at Fry's and Samsung was the only brand on this list that they had in stock. Actually, stock was quite limited across all brands/models/sizes. I hate Fry's...but that's another discussion.

On a positive note, Samsung included software to clone a drive, which worked quickly and easily.
                              |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...