Dual GPU'S?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual GPU'S?

Ok so I am not a computer guru of any sort, but I can figure things out with time and research. My current "rig" has a amd 8 core and a amd R7 270 graphics card. I have a 2nd slot for a graphics card also and I am thinking about adding another card.

My questions are.

1. Must my cards be identical.
    2. Other than a bigger power supply what will I need.
    3. Would I be better of getting a single newer card instead

My main goal is to get better fps on arma. I average 25-30 on low-mid settings.

Thoughts?
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.
    -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Re: Dual GPU'S?

Most of the time, you're better off just getting a newer card.

What's the wattage of your PSU?

How much RAM do you have? Might be a cheaper yet noticeable upgrade if you are at 4.

Do you have a SSD? Arma is one of those games that actually benefits from being installed on a SSD.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Well, crossfiring does help, but it depends on the model you have and price. Generally, buy the same card, but manufacturer does not matter. Compare the performance increase with 2 270s and 1 380x. If both have a 25% gain in performance, compare cost of new PSU plus the $100 for the 270 to the cost of the 380x

ArmA loves SSDs, high Ghz, and at least 8gbs installed.

What 8 core do you have?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Fx8320. No I don't have a ssd. Card is 2gig. 16 gig ram. Psu I belive is 500w not 100% on that atm.
        -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

need to upgrade to a bigger psu

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Just doing that will help fps? Or you mean need to upgrade to run dual cards?
            -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
              Just doing that will help fps? Or you mean need to upgrade to run dual cards?
              You need a better PSU to do anything.

Hold on for a sec, Cody. Here is the issue, in theory, crossfiring an r9 270 will result in a 77% boost over the single card configuration. The problem is that is not real world performance, but it is theoretical performance rating. It will depend on the game. Crossfiring the card will cause you to need at least a 600 Watt PSU, so since you have a 500 watt, I suggest you consider getting something considerably better (not just 600 Watt since the laws of physics will make it hard to get that 600, so look into the 700 to 800 watt range). Also, consider that an R9 390 gets a bit better performance over a crossfired R9 270 and also costs in the 300s.

Simply consider spending money to buy one super card that can out perform a crossfire/ SLi or saving money by doing crossfire. Of course this all goes out the window if you need to upgrade the PSU just to do either option. Since you would need to upgrade the PSU in addition to the GPU upgrade path, you might want to see how long term you want to invest in your current build. Our AM3+ socket is dead. If you plan to get something powerful, get something top tier so you can consider moving the card over to another build, even if it is temporary.

Here is where things begin to bother me. Crossfire and SLi means you have only half of the total combined Gb of VRAM, unless you are running a MANTLE or Dx12 game while running Windows 10. That being said, the single card performance will net you more VRAM at this point. As for functionality of crossfire and SLi, well, the drivers are getting better.

I speak from experience. I have a crossfire configuration of 2 HD7950s/ R9 280s. It gives me good performance and not even Star Citizen has hit the 3 Gb VRAM cap. Sometimes crossfire will crash the game. I had spent the money to buy an HD 7950 back when they were rather expensive and had that, but when I wanted more performance and found the HD 7950 for $120, I bought one. This is what I think would be a good idea to do, most of the time. That is in an ideal world with expansive motherboards, proper drivers, and games with functioning profiles. Just consider that sometimes, you have to play games in single card mode, and when you do, accept the low performance.

Comment

Roger that. Thanks Schooling Complete
                -- Gen. George S. Patton

|TG189th| Cody

Comment

Hold off on doing SLI or Crossfire. Given that DX12 (hybrid multi-GPU linkage) will very likely change multi-GPUs next year, it would be not-so-worth in to throw down now with SLi or Crossfire.

As we've seen, historically neither SLI nor Crossfire gives a linear performance boost when used and neither are very consistent when it comes to performance improvements. They also put a strain on your PSU if you are not able to afford new PSU hardware. So far, other a select few cards, a single GPU solution is still the best experience for most gamers (unless multi-monitor or ultrawide gaming is a must for you).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X