New PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC

Motherboard - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming -- 3x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1, 4x USB 3.0, 1x M.2, DDR4 Memory
    Case - 1 x NZXT S340 Gaming Case Design by Razer
    Processor - 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (4x 4.00GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    Processor Cooling - 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150]
    Memory - 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws 5
    Video Card - 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB
    Power Supply - 1 x 850 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 - 80 PLUS Bronze
    Hard Drive - 1 x 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/s

Any thoughts on this new PC build I'm considering?
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: New PC

it is nice, I'll give you that. You've done one thing wrong.

You need an SSD (120 to 240) for Windows, one SSD (480GB to 1 Tb) for your games and a hard drive for you storage.

It will save you a lot of time when you can keep most of your steam games on an SSD and have the option to easily reconnect the games to steam when you are done reinstalling windows. To continue this, you should isolate the windows install from the game drive as their usage will be different. (Read/ Write) Splitting the usage will help prevent issues with the computer sputtering.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Hope you have a Microcenter nearby because otherwise the 6700k is still low supply and prices are way over MSRP. And if you are near a Microcenter - the i5-6600K appears to be 219.99 as I type this which is below MSRP(a rare site right now).

Other comments:

- Unless you think you may go SLI someday - 850 watt is overkill on the PSU. I'd do ~550-650 if one card.
      - On the case your paying extra for the Razer branding - there is a standard black version if you want to save some money.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I have a 6700k I will sell to you for $370. I was getting ready to post it in the for sale thread when I saw your post. I only used it for about 2 weeks and it works great. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Comment

Hey, guys, thanks for the tips. Here's where I'm at now. Thoughts?

Case - NZXT S340 Gaming Case Design by Razer
          Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (4x 4.00GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
          Processor Cooling - Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan (Push-Pull Airflow)
          Memory - 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws 5
          Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB
          Motherboard - ASUS Z170-K 3x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1, 4x USB 3.0, 1x M.2, DDR4 Memory
          Power Supply - 750 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA 750GQ - 80 PLUS Gold
          Primary Hard Drive - 120 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 470MB/s - Single Drive
          Data Hard Drive - 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 470MB/s - Single Drive
          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

One of the "Z"170 series chipset for motherboards main features is the ability to overclock "K" series Intel CPUs. You do not have a "K" series CPU selected. I imagine that the most all of the higher end boards with all of the bells and whistles are Z series anyways. Just make sure you have reviewed said bells and whistles and they are something you want to pay extra for. Also of note here is a report that some of the mainboard manufacturers(with ASUS possibly being one of them) may be in the process of implementing a way to overclock non"K" series Skylake CPUs. That seems like a big maybe though, not something I would count on.

Are you finding the price on 2 SSDs comparable to just a single larger one? Be wary that with the smaller capacity SSDs the performance is sometimes significantly lower than the mid to larger sizes, this could be offset by splitting the load across multiple drives anyways.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Those ssd's are a little small. You can get an Samsung 850 EVO m.2 for $150 or so with a game

Comment

My current PC only has about 120GB on a 1TB HDD. I don't really store that much on my PC. You think I'm sacrificing performance by having two smaller SSD's? I'm thinking one for Windows (120) and one for storage and games (250).
                |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

That'll probably work fine, I doubt you'll notice either way.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                    My current PC only has about 120GB on a 1TB HDD. I don't really store that much on my PC. You think I'm sacrificing performance by having two smaller SSD's? I'm thinking one for Windows (120) and one for storage and games (250).
                    Starting out, you should be fine then. I guess it is safe to say that if you need more, you can always just buy another drive.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I just don't need that much storage. That's all, really. I'm thinking why pay more for something I won't need. Am I missing something?
                      |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

Just that it's probably not that much cheaper to get a 120 and a 240 than it would be to get one 500 GB drive. Or you COULD get say, two 240s and stripe them in RAID 0 into a single 480 GB drive with double the speed, but I'm not certain you'd be doing much where you would really notice that performance.

With AAA games coming in the 60+ GB range now (Star Citizen expected to be 100+ GB on launch) you might run out of space sooner than you think.
                        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Here's what I ordered.

Case - NZXT S340 Gaming Case Design by Razer
                          Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (4x 4.00GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
                          Processor Cooling - Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan (Push-Pull Airflow)
                          Memory - 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws 5
                          Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB
                          Motherboard - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming -- 3x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1, 4x USB 3.0, 1x M.2, DDR4 Memory
                          Power Supply - 750 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA 750GQ - 80 PLUS Gold
                          Primary Hard Drive - 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 470MB/s - Single Drive
                          Data Hard Drive - 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 470MB/s - Single Drive
                          |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. MP that's a nice build mate. If it's not too late have you considered pushing the boat out a little further and upgrading that 980 to a 980TI if the budget can cover it. The performance jump is supposedly significant enough to warrant the extra dollars.

If not don't sweat it, that's a great card and the 4GB vram will be really, really nice. Congrats!!!!

Comment

I did consider it, Wicks, but decided to not risk a divorce at this time. :) Anyway, thanks.
                              |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X