CPU upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU upgrade

In the spirit of everyone getting new upgrades. I would like to get some advice.

I currently have the following.

Intel Core i7 [email protected] 2.4GHz
    14 gigs of DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti

I am not really too concerned about my RAM or GPU, but I do know that I need a new CPU, considering that this one is EXTREMELY old.

What are your recommendations for a new one? Is this a good reason why I am not getting the FPS that I want or need? I play BF4 on low settings and only get roughly 40 FPS and Squad is only getting me 21 FPS.

I was looking on NewEgg, and saw this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117369

I have done my research on this and it seems to do pretty well in benchmarks, but I am not sure how outdated this is. Money is not really an issue. What are your recommendations?

Dirt
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: CPU upgrade

You should ideally be using same parity RAM (same speed, same density, same timings) since your 920 supports triple channel RAM. So 2 x 2 x 2 or 4 x 4 x 4.

Here is the parts I picked out if you want a new CPU and core components: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dRjG4D
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 12-19-2015, 05:17 PM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Apologies as this will be a gross generalization Dirt but here goes;

With regards to your CPU. Aim for the highest per core clock speed you can get, always. Despite all the hype most games rely heavily on what single cores can shift, i.e. very few games take full advantage of hyperthreading etc due to how Windows currently handles hyperthreading. HT isn't a myth, it can be a benefit, but prioritize per core clock speed. The 6700K seems to be a very impressive processor from what I have read (and as a 'k' series processor can be over clocked). So basically, fastest single core performance CPU, overclocked with after market cooling.

Sidebar - SSD for your Windows drive - games on another SSD - Movies and Music on any old HDD you have

Comment

[MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION],

He has a SSD for his drive. With the 6700K a a H100i GTX, he can easily overclock his new Skylake CPU.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Either you typo'd or something is wrong with your system. The i7 920:

http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/...-GTs-Intel-QPI

runs at 2.66 base speed.

New stuff would be even faster.
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

That 920 should overclock quite easily to 3.5 assuming your cooler isn't stock. Probably won't help a ton but for temp gains while you browse for newer chips its worth doing.

Replacement wise I will assume you understand you'll need a new board as your 920 is already on the high end for socket 1156.

i7-4790K would be a good replacement - lets you keep using your ddr3 too.

Skylake chips are newer/very solid but supply sucks right now and prices reflect that.
            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              [MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION],

He has a SSD for his drive. With the 6700K a a H100i GTX, he can easily overclock his new Skylake CPU.
              No go on the Corsair H XXXi series. Get a regular, non-i series. Their coolers in the i are known to have troublesome software. I have an H80i, which is the single fan version of the H100i. It gets too loud and the software doesn't work depending on the windows OS I am running.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Be cautious relying on per-core clock speed as your indicator of power. For example, the AMD flagship 9590 come stock at 4.7 Ghz, but is beaten in single-core performance by 3.4 Ghz i5s. Wick's sentiment is correct though, in that most games still do a poor job of leveraging threaded performance vs single core speed. The tide IS starting to change a LITTLE bit - modern games like FarCry 4 do finally see performance gains with i7s over equivalent i5s, (you know, IF you're running a GTX Titan on medium settings getting 120 fps). Guys like you and I, who bought i7 920s in 2009, probably made a poor choice for gaming :P. It's still unlikely an i7 will do you much good unless you're running some really heavy productivity stuff aside from gaming.

If you do want to go high-end though, with the expectation that you'd use the same platform for many years and upgrade to a much faster GPU and/or multiple GPUs in the future, I see a couple of options. Skylakes are the flat out best on the market, the 4790k trades blows with it in raw single-core performance, and has better availability (and better motherboard variety available) but the Skylake's new technowhatsits mean the 6700k generally outperforms in real-world benchmarks.

1) Grab a 4790K
                2) Try to find a Skylake (afaik, still sold out many places in North America)
                3) Wait and see how AMD's Zen turns out in 2016 (if it turns out good you can get one, or get a skylake since the competition should drive down skylake prices)
                4) Wait and see how Skylake-E turns out in late 2016 (again, may drive down regular Skylake prices)

The bottom line though, is that any modern i5, i7, or high end AMD FX isn't going to bottleneck your current GPU in games... except maybe Cities: Skylines, where you might get 150 fps instead of 180. :P

Which leads to option 4:

4) Grab a decent current cpu and mobo for 300-350$ all-in (i5 4690k, FX 9590, etc)

My two cents.
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I don't think you could convince me that a $600 CPU is a smart choice. I never buy bleeding edge...I do buy best bang for the buck. That's why I went with the i5 4690K a few months ago. Same holds true for video cards.
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                    I don't think you could convince me that a $600 CPU is a smart choice. I never buy bleeding edge...I do buy best bang for the buck. That's why I went with the i5 4690K a few months ago. Same holds true for video cards.
                    ^This (which is almost the same as Straight's ultimate conclusion).
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I spoke with Dirty about this set up. Had him take out a couple of sticks of RAM so his board would go to triple-channel memory mode. He had 5 unmatched sticks in there (3 matched, and a pair of faster matched) and he was essentially running single channel this entire time. He booted up some game and instantly chimed about what a performance difference it was.

I don't think he knows all too much about computers guys...
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nice job, Acreo.
                        |TG|Melee
                        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                          Nice job, Acreo.
                          Hear, hear!
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Typical dirt.
                            Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed