Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam hardware (controller or link) have you used it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam hardware (controller or link) have you used it?

So with a busy family finding time to sit down at the gaming PC is getting harder. I've been looking at the steam controller just because I like the concept. A steam machine is not in the cards right now but a steam link would be. I've been reading some reviews so i have that input but I was wondering if any of you have them or tried them?
    sigpic

Re: Steam hardware (controller or link) have you used it?

[MENTION=34399]di1lweed1212[/MENTION]

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I have the steam link. The picture and interface seem to work well. I did try playing Wolfenstein on it and found it unplayable due to latency. I tried on both wi fi and my wired network. I don't have cat5/cat6 network cables. I use the boxes that run your network through the power wiring in my house. Results may be better with real network cables.

Comment

I have both.

Steam Controller:
        I simply love the amount of customizing you can do with controls for each game and even non-steam games if you add them to your library. I had it before the November release so quite a few quirks have been fixed by now. The controller is really comfortable to me (and i don't have big hands) and the grip buttons are awesome. This is what I recommended to my friend.
        If you want customizibility then go with the steam controller
        If you want a really simply just plug-and-play controller then go buy an Xbox controller

Steam Link:
        The interface does work well like Hillman said. I use it with a projector so the quality of the picture is already slightly less then a TV. I have had minimal latency issues strictly because if I know I need a game with good reaction time, I refuse to use anything but a wired connection. The wireless can also work well if say your playing a city building game, you dont need pinpoint reactions for that so its all based on need.
        Few other things to mention:
        You cannot plug your headset in to the Link and expect it to connect to your computer. They plan on supporting some headsets later but at this point you can't.
        There is no audio-out 3.5mm jack on the link, the only audio that comes out of it is through the HDMI and into your TV. For a projector this proved more of a hassle because I don't want my projector playing the sound, I would want my nice homemade speakers.

As a Network/Data cable runner, I can say that the latency is most likely your power-line adapters. Out in the field, running network cable next to not-very-well shielded power cables is a big no-no, and definitely not in parallel for any extended distance. The fact that it running next to power lines/through your powerlines would cause network hic-ups for sure.

I would recommend both if your comfortable fiddling with settings to make your experience better.

Hope this helped! Thanks for sending me here Siege.
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Awesome write up [MENTION=34399]di1lweed1212[/MENTION] this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to here. I was going to spend the money on a ps4 but I think I might put that off and put the money towards steam instead, finally work through all those steam sales that are waiting to be played.
          sigpic

Comment

You can test the basic functionality by using a laptop to stream steam to your destination first if you have any concerns about connectivity/latency. I assume the link makes the whole process more streamlined and casual.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

No problem hilbilly!
              Steam sales do hurt a lot :( my wallet cries daily for all of its lost dollar-bill brethren.

One thing I forgot to mention about streaming which refers to both a laptop and Steam link stream: I have had problems where with games like Fallout 4, I have had screen flicker about once every second. I narrowed the problem down to the Hardware encoding. I fixed it by disabling hardware encoding. I do not know if this affects other people, but I believe it is due to the host computer having crossfire.

Namebot is right, you should test it with a laptop if you have a decent one layign around. Its' worth a go. The Link does make streaming easier. Its realistically a hardware dependent RDP system becuase you can exit big picture mode and just use your desktop and launch games from there also.
              And this seems kinda obvious but make your Host computer your beefy computer and the steam link or lesser computer the client.

Billy, if you get it and need any help just PM me if you can't find a solution online. I've fooled around with it quite a bit by this point.
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Awesome guys thanks. I hadn't thought about streaming it from laptop. I'll give that a go.

I haven't run any cable in the new house yet so I think that is going to be one the first things I get done as that will make a big difference from what I have gleaned. And thanks for your offer Dill I'll definitely be taking you up on that.
                sigpic

Comment

I keep remembering things to add XD

steam link only supports 10/100 mbps connections so cat 6 won't be faster than cat 5e. You'd just have more headroom I guess
                  cat 5e is 10/100mbps with supporting equipment (router, computers, etc.) <-- in industry, we still mostly run this, because its cheap, and not a ton of applications would use 1000 mbps connections. If speed would be so necessary, in large buildings, we just run Fiber.
                  Networking lesson of the day.

cat 6 is 10/100/1000 mbps with supporting equitment
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse