Will I regret switching to dsl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I regret switching to dsl?

I have been having latency issues with charter for the past month. They will not or can not tell me what is going on. I am about at my wits end with these monkeys. The question is, do I wait it out until the fix the problem or switch to dsl? For gaming, is dsl just as good as cable?

Re: Will I regret switching to dsl?

cable>dsl

its not much of a difference but in gaming it is, makes you develop better reflexes hopefully.

IC 1:[2SB]A|Sgt.Grim
    IC 2:[NF]T|Sgt.Grim
    IC 3:[TC]L|Cpl.Grim
    IC 4:[AC]505|Cpl.Grim

Comment

I seriously doubt you'll notice a worthwhile ping difference by switching to DSL. Downloads may be a bit slower. It just depends on what speed is advertised.

Comment

For gaming connectivity is a bigger issue than download speed. After all, if you are transferring well within your cpacity (which gaming packets are) the main ping time is going to be caused by the time it takes for electricity to reach your computer over how much bandwidth your ISP allows.

Connectivity (the amount of people sharing your line) however is a different issue. In peak times if there are a lot of other users sending packet requests to the ISP server then you will have to wait in queue until those other ones are resolved.

My household pays about twice as much as a standard amount for out dsl line, but we have a guaranteed connectivity of 20 maximum, whereas most places in the UK set it at 50. Despite having ping times of around 120-130 I get no latency issues even with all 3 of my housemates and me on the same BF2 squad. Even had a mate downloading whilst I was on and it was fine (although download programs like bit-torrent and edonkey that would constantly send out search requests would kill your ping - this was a straight internet download).

Can't say what it would be like in your area, but for me on a 1Mbps line (recently upgraded to 2Mbps) it is fine for gaming.

Comment

Well, my pings are around 400-500 during peak hours, so at this point 56k is looking good.

Comment

I have used DSL for many years and am completely happy with it.

Sure, I could get more DL speed with cable, but my DSL (Bellsouth) is NEVER down and the pings are ALWAYS the same.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

And that's really all that matters...what is working at the time. I will never buy into the "cable better than DSL" or vise-versa arguments. They're pointless. One medium does not inherently lead to more or less lag nor does it inherently contribute to higher or lower ping times.

It's more a question of how good a given provider's service is in your area. And if it's not satisfactory, hopefully you've got another high-speed option. I've been on Charter cable internet for something like 5 years now, and I've had an overwhelmingly positive experience with it. Others have no end of trouble. Same thing for DSL: some keep it working fine, others have constant battles with it.

Comment

John, have you thought it may be the cabling into the house?

These things are always weird issues, but i bet the guy a couple doors down doesn't have this issue (just an example). What are you running for spyware detection? I thought for sure that i was on a crap line with my DSL, so i called them up and they told me it was spyware, which i thought was nuts. But it was spyware and adaware was not detecting it. Spybot cleared it off though and all was normal again.

- -

Comment

If you go to DSLreports and read the charter forums you will see that the latency issue has been going on for a while in my are. I first had issues with an att world net ip and now it is level3. Believe me, I would rather have cable but I am not paying cable prices for 56k pings.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                    I have used DSL for many years and am completely happy with it.

Sure, I could get more DL speed with cable, but my DSL (Bellsouth) is NEVER down and the pings are ALWAYS the same.
                    Bellsouth is coming out with 6mb dwld i think

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X