Upgrading PC help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading PC help

I am planning on upgrading some low-end parts that I still have in my PC to be able to play arma 3, other upcoming games and stream/record every now and then, so this is what I'm getting myself into

CPU, RAM and Motherboard are the items I am looking to replace, new parts are listed below and my current ones are: AMD 965 quad core 3.4GHz, 2x4 1600 MHz RAM with the old pin connector and ASUS m4a87td/usb3

Since I am not experienced with building PC's my questions are if these parts will all work, what I have to keep in mind when it comes to cables etc, and things to keep in mind when im replacing the parts (I did build a PC once long ago, I hope I know how to again.) My plan was to keep all other parts as they're mostly new and there's some thermal paste left from the aftermarket CPU Cooler

am I gonna be in deep trouble? let me know :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4tcrZL
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4tcrZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($419.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($130.65 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1009.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-02 13:37 EST-0500

my HDD is a 500 GB something and the case is an Ikonic model which I didn't even find on pcpartpicker

Edit: Oh! Another question, using Win10 and switching between those two Motherboards, would I have to reinstall my OS?
    - Current ArmA Pathfinder

sigpic

Re: Upgrading PC help

The 1000 watt psu is very over specified for your proposed build. You can step back to 500-600 and save half on that component.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
      The 1000 watt psu is very over specified for your proposed build. You can step back to 500-600 and save half on that component.
      I probably set the post up in a pecicular way, the PSU is something I already have, an onsale and sort of dumb purchase I made long ago based on going SLI and poor judgement. I am not buying all those items I listed from pcpartpicker, only the CPU, MB and RAM

I'll take it as that those three would work with the other components which I already have and definitely agree on that the PSU is a terrible choice

sigpic

Comment

I think the CPU might be overkill for gaming unless ARMA is considered CPU intensive. The i5-4690K will perform great for gaming and cost a little more then half of the i7-6700K. You could use the money left over and get a 500gb or 1tb SSD.

Comment

Save some money and change your ram to DDR4-2400 or 2666. You won't notice any real world benefit spending more on 3200 speed.

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-mem...speed_170340/6

Also I've said this in a few threads already but I'll keeping saying it - supply issues have pushed up 6700k prices. The original MSRP was $350. I would strongly consider the 6600k if you can score the current $253 price at amazon. The savings is significant and in the vast majority of games(including arma3) the i7's hyper threading would not be leveraged so it would offer no noticeable benefit.

See http://www.anandtech.com/show/9879/p...k-short-supply
          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Lesser MHz ram and 6600k look like good options, I'll probably get those instead. and then there's the parts installations to do...

is the CPU cooler good being just under a year old? I planned on detaching that from my current cpu and adding it to the new cpu

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xorilliz View Post
              Lesser MHz ram and 6600k look like good options, I'll probably get those instead. and then there's the parts installations to do...

is the CPU cooler good being just under a year old? I planned on detaching that from my current cpu and adding it to the new cpu
              Do AMD and Intel use the same CPU cooling mount points? I havn't bought an AMD CPU in 5+ years but I know they used to be different.

I'd second the above advice to save on CPU and use the money elsewhere.

Comment

Actually, the cooler mounts are different still different. If you buy after market coolers, then you can use one of the many cooler mounts that are provide with the cooler.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

drop the i7 for an i5 6600k

video card, i'd look at the r9 380 or the gtx 970

Comment

the overclocked editions of the R9 390 is on the same level of the 970. The 390x, when viewing Dx11 games, is an underpowered 980. Dx12 games are different, so I don't know if that helps much.

The 380 is underpowered and performs worse than an HD 7970 Ghz edition (R9 280X), which is two generations back. The 380X is ok, but there is a huge performance gap between the 380X and the better 390 and 970.

The OC'd versions of the 390 perform just a tad under the majority of the different versions of the 390x, so that is about all I can say about the AMD side of things.

Nvidia has the 970, which is decent for pretty anything out right now, but Pascal is rather promising, so if you wait till next summer, you can see HBM on most of their cards. The 980 isn't a slouch and will serve you for a long while, but costs an arm and a leg, especially the high end OC'd versions.

Well, I know more about AMD desktop cards, since the last Nvidia desktop card I owned was a GeForce 4 with 32Mb of VRAM. :P

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X