Creative x-fi soundcard review.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative x-fi soundcard review.

This is a little overdue but I did want to fully test the card out before posting.

Creative XtreameMusic x-fi sound card $129.00 USD. (Big thanks to Bubba for getting me this card as it is not available in Canada yet.)
    Speakers used are Klipsch Ultra 5.1

Installation was a snap, deleted the old Audigy 2 value first and ran driver cleaner before installing the new card. First thing I noticed was a richer more fuller sound than the Audigy 2. Natural sounding would be a good way to describe it. After testing out the x-fi splash animation I proceeded to run some WMV HD vids. No hiccups, sound is good and rear surrounds are working nicely. The card comes with a DVD-audio player which is nice, playing a DVD-audio disc(Eagles Hotel California) was a real treat defiantly the best sound I have ever heard out of computer. Obviously not as good as a proper home theater system but pretty darn good. The card also comes with a nice software suite which includes a speaker tester. Helpful for making sure your left right and center are connected properly.

On to BF2, as you may or may not know BF2 directly supports the x-fi card at the hardware level. Selecting x-fi in the audio setting allows you to move the audio quality to ultra high. Note I am comparing to an Audigy 2 which supported EAX. Was there a huge difference..in short no. All of the EAX effects work well, ie drive a jeep into the tunnel under the Kubra dam and you'll get an awesome echo effect. The Audigy 2 did this as well, I would say the x-fi card was a little more pronounced with the effects, but there are no new or additional effects added that I have noticed. If you are using onboard audio without EAX I would recommend upgrading to the x-fi. Battlefield sounds amazing in 5.1, the games audio is very directional, ie if a chopper is approaching from behind you'll hear it behind you. The sound will move forward and right over you as the chopper passes. I would say if you already have a EAX supported card you won't see a dramatic improvement. Overall I am very happy with the card and have had no technical problems to report as of yet.

[age-c1] [conduct]
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Re: Creative x-fi soundcard review.

Glad it was money well spent. I have not had any problems with mine either. I went from the TurtleBeach Catilina to this card. The rich sound it produces when palying BF2 is awesome. As Trigger said the additional software is pretty good. Have not had any problems with skip when listening to music as I have had in the past when I was running other programs at the same time. I am pleased with card. Thanks Godfrey for turning me onto it.

P.S. Of course I do not have the setup that Trigger has for gaming, ie.. that small monitor.. :icon_bigg

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

thanks for taking the time to breifly write that up, as you know im thinking about buying one, was thinking the top of the range one + some 7.1's of the same standard, though they carry a HEFTY price tag (250, which is about 450 usd) and wasnt sure if id really get a good bang for the buck, though i got a real thick paycheck this month so might just go ahead and take the plunge

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Keep in mind that the quality of the speakers will make more of a difference than the card itself. There are quite a few crappy computer speaker systems out there. More $ thown at the speakers will yeild much better sound.

[age-c1] [conduct]
        Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

I got mine and called Bubba up to let him know, man he got into his wheel chair and rolled down to the nearest Bestbuy and rolled home to acoustical bliss.

Really the card is nice, i had an Audigy 2 (for sale) and the xfi for me is really an improvement. I soley use headphones so the difference is very noticeable for me.

If it is worth winning, then it is worth fighting dirty for!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X