Sexy and Quiet PSU Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexy and Quiet PSU Recommendations

Politically incorrect title: Sexy and Quiet - I like my PSUs like I like my women.

So, I'm slowly mapping out components for my next build while I wait to see how Zen turns out... picking things and watching for deals. Next up is a PSU and again... I can't find the perfect one... It's gotta be out there, somewhere...

Has anyone seen it?

I'm hoping this could serve as a resource for others seeking their own dream(y) PSU as well.

So, my... perfect [s]woman[/s] power supply would meet the following criteria:

- Drop dead gorgeous (black/silver or black/red aesthetic preferred)
    - As silent as possible (fan shutoff below a certain threshold ideally)
    - Should look good with the fan facing up (reversible). The PSU will be bottom-mounted with the fan drawing air from inside the case. I have my reasons.
    - Fully modular preferred (If I want to swap in colored cables)
    - 800W minimum capacity, 1000W+ preferred in the event that I crossfire cards
    - Excellent power quality (good voltage regulation and ripple, etc)
    - 80+ platinum preferred... but actual efficiency is secondary to the above power quality

So far I've peeked at:

Corsair AX1500i - 80+ Titanium Checks every box. One heck of a unit. But... wow. It's 854 Canadian Rubles. That's a bit too stupid even for me.

be quiet! Dank Power Pro 11 Series - 80+ Platinum, and quite the lookers. Understated silver-on-black side sticker, nice fan grill. Sadly, not fully modular and comes with a garish rainbow mobo cable. Shame.

EVGA T2 1000 - 80+ Titanium and fantastic power quality in a (somewhat) more reasonable price range (400 rubles). Fully modular, but comes with a cluttered side sticker and an ugly fan grating. Simply unacceptable.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Sexy and Quiet PSU Recommendations

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...517&IsNodeId=1

Take a look around the FIREPOWER series by OCZ, I've made several builds for computers that want a Red and Black color scheme.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Yeah I'm a big fan of 80+ Platinum power supplies, they are all I use any more. I figure if they are that efficient, must be good quality components, and therefore probably will also last a long time.

Good news is, there are a much more limited number of them out there (than say, gold for instance) so deciding is easier. :D

I think the platinum AX series from Corsair are red/black color scheme. I have one, except it's like 600 or 750 watts. When you really start doing the math, you may discover you actually need less PSU than you think.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure that an 800 Watt would be more PSU than I would need. Opinions vary from site to site. Newegg suggests that my current setup should have an 883 W power supply (!) while the eXtreme Power calculator suggests 658 Watts (a 608 W draw plus a 50 W fudge factor) for my current setup including overclock. The Linus media group did a test in 2015 that suggested a quality 650 W PSU can handle reasonable air-cooled overclocks for basically any single-GPU setup.

If I had to guess, my current setup (which runs on a Corsair HX1000W) probably only draws around 400 to 500W at max load. I had known to expect this originally, and the 1000W had been chosen for a future Crossfire card... that I never wound up getting.

Although looking back (I've used this PSU for 2 rigs over 7 years, so I figure I got my money's worth), I had originally intended to use a 4870x2, which has been tested at over 750W total system draw (!!!) so maybe I wasn't that far off anyway. (through a massive stroke of luck, UPS destroyed the 4870x2 my PC first came with AND the replacement 4870x2 I was shipped, so I was given a 5870 just weeks after release, and as a result I put Uberclok out of business)

My next build though should have quite a bit more power draw from an abundance of fans, beefier components, and a water pump...

I'm currently looking at an AX860i or AX1200i for their overall sexiness, full modularity, incredible voltage regulation and ripple, and 80+ platinum ratings.

The AX1200i does have some advantages in the sense that... who knows what I might do with this system in the future? I could crossfire anything easily with the 1200i. And it looks better, it's better proportioned for a large case, and it runs fanlessly until 30% load. Meaning I could run 360 W TPD without a fan, compared to the 172 W (20%) fanless AX860i...

As the price difference is actually not that big between the 860i and the 1200i, especially for a component I might use for close to a decade, I think I'll go with the AX1200i.

There is no kill like overkill.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

If you are doing watercooling anyway, save money on GPUs and go AMD. XD
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was just reminiscing over my current PSU and I feel like I have to give some recognition to that HX1000W.

That thing has been abused. Two builds, 7 years, never hooked up to a UPS. Averaging 16 hours a day of operation and being turned off every night adds up to over 40,000 hours of operation and over 2500 power cycles.

Not to mention the blackouts. From the 100-year-old heritage building with equally dubious wiring (and tripping the breaker about every week because 2/3 of a 4-person apartment was on one breaker) to the vulnerable power systems of small town Canada, this thing has been interrupted more than the MC at a Kayne West convention. Usually about 12 times in a row as the power struggles to stay on, and I keep turning the PC back on because I'm a terrible person with no machine empathy.

Other electronics didn't always fare so well. Including my friend's laptop in the aformentioned apartment, which killed a battery, and in the same apartment another laptop's adapter met its maker. Then there was the 90$ ultra-badass APC surge protector, purchased to protect the HX1000W, which was fried within a month of operation. Since then, a 5$ second-hand Canadian Tire power bar has championed this unit. For 7 years.

Throughout it all, I have not had a single component failure, and I have not had any non-overclocking-related stability issues. Solid. This thing rides out brownouts like a champ. Lights in the house flickering? Not a problem. High-altitude nuclear detonation? Probably fine.

This thing deserves a name. Maybe a plinth too.

Comment

Just for reference on power supply loading. I'm running 2 7970's, 11 fans, and 3 water pumps and am doing very well on an 850w supply so yes, 800w should be fine. Although, I have not taken a look at modern GPU's power requirements recently.
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X