Router issues, again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router issues, again

SO I decided to see if DSL was any good since charter really dropped the ball. I just set up the modem and when it is connected directly to my PC the speeds are great, but when I go through my netgear wgr614v4 router, the speeds stink. Web pages load slower them dialup. But when I do speeds tests, my speeds are fine. I spent 2 hours w. bell south but they will not mess with advanced settings of the router and netgear wont belp since the router is old. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could go back to charter since I have not cancelled the service yet and they fixed the latency issues, but I would rather take my business elsewhere.

I have the latest update for the router and the basic settings are fine.

Re: Router issues, again

Run an extended ping from your PC to your router. In case you aren't familiar with how to do this:

Click: start> run> type "command" (-""s)

then in the command prompt type: ping <router IP address> -t

Look for jumps in latency or dropped packets.

If everything looks solid from there, you can then try doing the same ping to your ISP's primary DNS server (which TEND to be "close" to your connection, but not always). Post results.

Oh, and are you running wireless to your router?

Comment

Thanks for the response....I am using a westell modem which is a router....I read that I need to bridge connections or I will get double nating....does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
        Thanks for the response....I am using a westell modem which is a router....I read that I need to bridge connections or I will get double nating....does that make sense?
        If the modem has a router built in, then you do not need your Netgear router at all. What's the model number for your modem?

When connected to the modem, what sort of IP address do you get? 192.168.x.x / 10.x.x.x? Or a normal one?
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

I need the wireless and the ability to hook other comps to the internet/network. Westell b90 modem ip= 192.168.x.x

Comment

I've never noticed double NAT to cause a performance hit like what you are describing.

What's the IP address scheme like?

For instance, I run double NAT at my place. I have a Pipeline P75 router running NAT
            External IP: <Public Address dynamically assigned by ISP>
            Internal IP: 10.0.0.1/30

Then it goes to my Netgear Router w/ firewall:
            External IP: 10.0.0.2/30
            Internal IP: 192.168.111.1/24

Then my PC's IP is: 192.168.111.x

Double NAT, yet there's no performance decrease from when I was just using the Pipeline. Your problem seems to only revolve around your Netgear. I'm wondering if it's an subnet overlap or something. Maybe you should log into IRC and talk about it there.

Comment

I need the wireless and the ability to hook other comps to the internet/network. Westell b90 modem ip= 192.168.x.x
              If that's the case, then you could always consider not using the External Interface of that netgear router at all. Just plug it into the LAN and use it as an access point/switch. Just make sure to disable the DHCP server on it.

Comment

Interesting fenix, I understood a little of what you said. How would I set that up so I can get two desktops and one wireless onto the internet. It sounds like I would have to buy a switch or hub or something.

Comment

A lot of their products seem to start with B90. http://www.westell.com/pages/support/dropdown.jsp I wanted to figure out what you're working with.. default subnets and such.

You probably are running in to some sort of IP conflict with both things using 192.168.0.0/24. Hard to tell w/o more info.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  | for | |

Comment

Interesting fenix, I understood a little of what you said. How would I set that up so I can get two desktops and one wireless onto the internet. It sounds like I would have to buy a switch or hub or something.
                    The Netgear has 5 ethernet ports, no? 4 for your internal network, 1 going to the outside world. Those 4 are essentially a switch and you can disable the routing capabilities of the Netgear device. You'd connect your two desktops as normal but instead of using the WAN/uplink port to go to the modem, you'd just use another one of those 4 ports. Wireless should keep working as well.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101496.asp - there, that explains what we're talking about... Using the Netgear router as a wireless access point.
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    | for | |

Comment

Interesting...so i would not need to bridge connections in the modem settings....also, by bypassing the WAN/Uplink port, I am also bypassing some of the routers built in security?

Comment

OK so it works when I use my router as a switch. But now I cant log onto my router.

Comment

I guess you didn't change the IP address of the router? Unplug the Netgear from the Westell and then try.

If the Westell has router functionality built in, then it is performing the security functions that the Netgear was when it was connected to your cable modem.
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          | for | |

Comment

The guys at bellsouth think that something is wrong with the pppowhterver function on my router.

Comment

I was often having slow/quirky connection problems with my cable modem and router. I was finally crazy enough to call Linksys tech support. Everything checked out and they just told me to move my cable modem further apart from my router. This fixed my problems for some reason. Perhaps the two can cause radio interference with eachother?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X