Computer boots to black screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer boots to black screen

about a month ago my computer failed me. I was experiencing a screen cut out, the output to the monitor stopped working, I turned off the computer to see if that worked. the computer booted fine but when i logged on all windows, other than outlines, were black. I restarted again but after moments of proper function the computer had the first issue again. I then booted into safe mode, but nothing i could do would help me. the computer refused to boot on normal startup. I tried memory checks, everything, but nothing worked. i tried to diagnose the problem but each option at this point ether shut the computer down or booted to a black screen with a cursor.

I hope this issue can be fixed. here are the current computer specs that i know of.
    - 2TB segate HDD
    - 8GB RAM
    - 3.6Ghz quad core intel I7

I will try to get more information if needed.

Sparrow.

Re: Computer boots to black screen

Just from what I read I would say there are two options, either one of your connectors went bad or your motherboard is dying/has died. My mother had a similar issue and after some testing it turned out to be the motherboard.

Do you have any extra parts to switch out and test? That would be your best bet.

Comment

I have tried using another sata port on the MB but with no success. i'm working on trying to find a working computer and swap the hard drives to see if that works. Other than that i'm not in a good position in terms of spares. but I'll test the hard drive on a working MB as soon as i can, most likely later today.

Comment

Video corruption.

Dedicated video card? -> try a different one

Integrated? -> try using a single stick of memory OR a dedicated video card instead

Create a live boot CD and boot to that to see if it is a problem with your windows install
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Does sound like a video card issue.

You say the video is fine in safe mode? Corrupt on a normal boot?

Sounds like either the drivers have become corrupt or the video card has developed an issue and its only apparent when the hardware acceleration features of the drivers are engaged. Safe mode uses software rendering IIRC.

Comment

this issue has degraded into a state where all boot-ups fail including 1 ram stick with no video card.

Comment

That sounds like a failed motherboard to me. Did you look for any popped capacitors? (http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/up...1131465828.jpg)

Comment

Clarify what the "failure" is at this point. Does that mean you press the power button and nothing happens?
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

This has served me well in the past.

http://i.imgur.com/WrBVDqa.jpg

Comment

I'll second motherboard failure.

A good way to test motherboard is by entering BIOS. If you can enter BIOS and the video still works, it's likely a bad HDD as the drivers for both onboard and aftermarket video are held on the HDD, depending on your mobo. Some mobos ship with built in drivers, but very rarely.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/entries...air-Made-Easy/ <-- I wrote up a blog entry a long time ago for troubleshooting issues such as this. I'd suggest making a Hiren's Boot Disk and seeing if you can boot to it and run Mini Windows. This will at least let you browse the HDD from a CD or USB drive and will begin to show you if the problem is HDD or mobo. HDD failure would result in the drive being missing or performing very slowly while in Mini Windows. It can be a little difficult to determine which drive letter your HDD is. The easiest way I know of to do this is to open a command prompt and do a diskpart then tell it to list vol. Your main volume will be listed as the largest (most likely) and you can then determine what drive letter Mini Windows is using for your main drive. Access that drive letter from the explorer and see if it opens and performs well. If you're good at this point (have video in mini windows, no slowness or missing drives when accessing the volume) then I'd probably point to maybe Windows being broken and start looking at a chkdsk or a reformat.

If all else fails, before replacing hardware, slave the drive and back up, then reinstall Windows. If it works, great. If not, you've lost nothing.

Mom
                    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                    Forever Perplexed

Comment

Yeah, like I said before that sounds exactly the issue that I fixed on my moms PC. It was the mobo. I'm sure the op fixed it by now?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X