Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Nvidia GTX 970 settlement

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/123...uit-settlement

It looks like if you purchased one of these cards you may end up being eligible for a settlement.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Re: Nvidia GTX 970 settlement

NVidia?! No!

SHOCKING, I SAY! :/
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'll try not to spend it all at once.
      |TG|Melee
      Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Makes you wonder if they're doing the same thing with all their other cards.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateMuffinMan View Post
          Makes you wonder if they're doing the same thing with all their other cards.
          You're kidding, right? Nvidia has a long long history of fraud and other anti-competitive shenanigans. Which is largely why I refuse to support that sort of company with my hard earned dollars. You can almost always get more bang for your buck by going AMD, too.

8800 GTX ran over its TDP and overstressed PSUs

Mobile GeForce 8000 series de-solder themselves
          http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...selves.582158/

Fermi GF100 hot chips yield 1.8% success
          https://semiaccurate.com/2010/02/17/...and-unfixable/
          http://www.zdnet.com/article/nvidia-...too-expensive/

Nvidia pays developers to inject unnecessary amounts of tessellation into games
          http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...sers-and-amd/2 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYL0...tu.be&t=1m46s]

GTX 480s caught fire
          http://forums.evga.com/My-GTX-480-SC...e-m626592.aspx

GTX 590s caught fire demo
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc

GTX Titan had no drivers until 3 months after launch

NVIDIA launched drivers that melted GTX 780s

GTX 960 beating the Titan Black and GTX 780 Ti because of nerfed drivers

Law suits against Samsung and Qualcom for questionable stuff

Nvidia using non G-Sync technology on G-Sync branded laptops

Nvidia speed up batman demo to make it look more fluid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsjmLNZtvxk&t=24 listen to the thugs voices

Windows 10 drivers brick laptop displays https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...play-panels/1/

(this one is now a bit dated) Now we had DX12 test, granted it's just one DX12 test, but it's DX12 nonetheless... Nvidia sucks on it, and how do they react? They blame the devs.

Release Win10 drivers being flat broken
          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...iver_conflict/

Proprietary features that AMD has open solutions for

related - The whole G-Sync vs Freesync scenario

Forced GeForce experience

DX12 gimping

600 & 700-series gimping - GTX 960 beating Titan Black & GTX 780 Ti

hairworks

Batman, Assassins Creed, etc - "Not our fault"

Now, I'm sure you could find some stuff on AMD too, no doubt, but it's just no where near the length of this list. But people keep shilling for Nvidia, and people keep spending top dollar for their stuff because I guess they figure "if it costs more, it must be better!"

Personally, I prefer to support companies that are not outright trying to screw their customers at every turn. When I can find them. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder nowadays.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I like my 970! Does everything I need and have asked it to; just wish I saved my money for the 1070!

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
            [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
            [support]

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
              I like my 970! Does everything I need and have asked it to; just wish I saved my money for the 1070!
              Anecdotal evidence which is not an argument against any of the assertions I have put forth. If anything, you are proving my point (fanboyism, post purchase rationalization to yourself).

Comment

I wasn't arguing against you, I was merely stating that I was happy with the way my purchase turned out. Why does your damn tinfoil hat make you sound like an antagonist jerk towards everyone who disagrees with you? I knew about the "flaw" before hand but purchased anyway because it was cheaper than the 980, so there was no "POST-purchase rationalization." I admit that I am a bit of a fanboy, but that's because there is no more competition now that there are basically only two real vendors out now. But you sound more like a fanboy of AMD because you constantly make excuses for their slower performance by saying you get a "better bang for your buck" because the cards are just cheaper. Normally I would not say anything because everyone has a right to their opinion, but every time someone gives an opinion, you shove your friggin tinfoil hat on and complain that everyone else nothing but a bunch of "sheeple." Why can't anybody post their feelings without you posting a ten page novel on why people are uninformed fanboys who disregard all mental faculties to slavishly follow a brand. I was responding to the op, not you. I really do like how my card performs, I really do wish I had waited because the prices are about the same amount but with a vast performance increase between generations. I will not ask for my 30 bucks back because I feel the money was worth it. I swear I could just note that the color blue appeals to me and you would have a 50 page novel prepared and ready to publish on why I really don't deserve an opinion because I didn't do my research and cite fifty examples of why blue is a desirable color. Yeah, I know nVidia does some shady stuff, but until somebody comes out with better equipment, I am going to go with what I research and find to be the better option for me. So, how did I do on my couple page disagreement? I know, I forgot to paste a million links on why you are wrong because you disagree with me, but I can do better in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

[support]

Comment

Gentlemen, and remember that's the standard of forum conduct we should be maintaining, let's dial it down shall we. Calling people fanboys or jerks is a little rude don't we think not to mention immature. Fanboys are for teen bands, not a suitable term for someone who has a preferred provider.

Let's be honest none of these companies are setting up clean water projects in deprived areas, they're out to make a buck. I don't doubt for a second that AMD has done some shady stuff, frankly labelling most of their cpu's as good for gaming is stretching the truth lol.

Personal experience AMD have made a few decent cards over the years, some of which I've owned. The key phrase is 'few', they are blatantly lagging behind Nvidia in terms of performance and features. I'm not happy about that and no smart consumer should be. However let's not confuse incompetence with altruism. Nvidia has stolen a March on AMD and that's AMD's fault and theirs alone.

The AMD cards I've had have been plagued by crummy drivers and problems with the Catalyst suite software. They also ran really, really hot and barring a notable exception ran worse than the Nvidia offering in the same price range. Sadly much of AMD's offerings seem to scream cheaper BUT inferior alternative these days. That's not good for competition or the consumer but when you're in front as Nvidia is well, you set the table to a certain degree.

As a consumer I simply wouldn't buy AMD at this point in time, neither cpu or GPU. Not because I'm a fan of either Intel or the green team, simply because on balance AMD's offerings are objectively weaker to me. I hope that changes but in the meantime I'm going to be smart with my hard earned cash rather than a justice warrior and hope that the market will force AMD to do better. I think that will be more effective than me tilting at windmills and wasting my own money (imo) hoping AMD buck their ideas up.

Comment

I apologize Randy and Wick, I shouldn't have lost my cool like that. Sorry guys, I'll try and be a bit more constructive and less offensive in my criticism in the future.

I'll just add this bit to the mix:

I miss 3dfx. I think the 90's were the best era, competition wise, for peripherals and expansion cards. I think what would help the situation is a couple more players in all the component areas.

[support]

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                      frankly labeling most of their cpu's as good for gaming is stretching the truth lol.
                      At this point even I must admit that in single core performance Intel is winning, and that is what matters most for gaming and most (read: not multi-threaded) applications. Sad to say but I even put an i5 in the last system I built.

Nvidia has stolen a March on AMD and that's AMD's fault and theirs alone.
                      I disagree with this. In fact my main contention is that Nvidia has shown a pattern of anti-competitive behavior, of which I posted several links to above. There is a big difference between giving subsidies to / working more closely with certain game developers to make their games work better on your hardware (which is collusion and anti competitive) + spending a lot of money on marketing and product promotion (through many "review" sites and individuals, who are little more than paid shills IMO) and as you say building a better product, which I AM all in favor of. But as in so many things nowadays, we don't have real competition, instead we just have more money spent on marketing and rigged "tests." Have you looked into any of the links I provided, Wicks?

As a consumer I simply wouldn't buy AMD at this point in time, neither cpu or GPU. Not because I'm a fan of either Intel or the green team, simply because on balance AMD's offerings are objectively weaker to me. I hope that changes but in the meantime I'm going to be smart with my hard earned cash rather than a justice warrior and hope that the market will force AMD to do better. I think that will be more effective than me tilting at windmills and wasting my own money (imo) hoping AMD buck their ideas up.
                      I am not advocating for spending your hard earned money on an inferior product out of some misplaced sense of sympathy for AMD. But the truth is, if they don't get their act together soon, I am worried they are going to go out of business altogether and then we are really going to be getting ripped off by Nvidia. Why do you think there has been almost no innovation in CPUs these last several years? Because there is no competition. (Real) competition is good for you and me, the consumers. Without it, we get what we are seeing today in the CPU market. No innovation.

And if I came across as mad Scratch, it's because I am. Not at you specifically, and apologies for calling you a fanboy. I'm mad that technological advancement is being held back by corporate greed, product introduction cycles, and marketing nonsense. In the area of computers, and elsewhere. I want my flying car! :) But seriously, clean energy, there are so many things we could be doing better... But we are not. And people keep lapping it up and asking for more, without questioning why? I am pretty firmly of the belief that if you are not mad, then you are not paying attention. Sorry friendo if you ended up being the recipient of it today. lol

Comment

There is definitely a case for saying that Nvidia are "guilty" of some strong anti-competitive measures, no doubts.

That said, I would never consider one of the AMD CPU's based on a poor experience about a decade ago. I realise things change, but Intel wipe the floor perf wise, and I only do an upgrade every 3 or so years so I will pay a bit more for a far superior product.

When it comes to GPU I actually have a AMD GPU - a R9 280X for about the last 2 years. It has been fine, upper mid range. Wish I had waited and got the 970 though. Much better hardware and far far superior software. I still get huge issues trying to record using the AMD software. Shocking state to be in in 2016. However this won't be an issues after tomorrow.....with the arrival of my GTX 1070. I needed to go back to team green.

I have had both AMD and Nvidia GPUs so no brand loyalty, just pure user experience and performance, and for me N win every time. I honestly DO want them to have competition and AMD are the closest thing, but I don't care enough to contribute my own to it at the expense of my own performance. If you DO care that much, great, more power to you, and thanks for fighting the good fight. No doubt we all benefit from that. But I am looking forward to epic performance and Shadowplay. The new AMD 480 is a huge let down in performance, and price is irrelevant as the 1060 smacks it around for an extra 10. Not that I would have chosen it anyway due to their software. Anyway that's my recent experience.

Comment

Just to clarify, I have no particular brand loyalty either. As I stated I went with an i5 (Intel CPU) in my last build. I do prefer to support AMD when possible, and for the reasons I have stated (mainly bang/buck), although I am not blind and unwavering in my support.

I currently am rocking an R9 290, at the time I bought it it was the best in price/performance, right at the point in the curve where you get the most "bang for the buck", beyond which you are getting into diminishing returns territory. Which is where I prefer to purchase. Next time I go looking for a GPU, if Nvidia is the leader in the price/performance segment I am looking in, well then I suppose I will really have a moral dilemma. But that hasn't happened yet in GPUs, luckily. Because by implication that would mean that we are getting very close to having only one company to choose from.

My main contention is that Nvidia has shown a clear and repeated pattern of anti-competitive behavior, and that this behavior, plus their marketing budget, is more responsible for their leading market share than the alleged superiority of their products.

And since economic systems do not tend toward equilibrium the same way that biological systems do, this type of anti-competitive behavior is very alarming to me. And THAT is why I try and do my small part in bringing it to people's attention. Not because I am a fanboy for AMD. But rather, I am a fanboy for real merit based competition, as opposed to tipping the game board in your favor.

It's kind of like playing Monopoly, or Risk, or Starcraft or pick any number of match based economic sort of games that you may have experience playing. Momentum swings a little toward one player, then the other, but eventually one person breaks out and then it's basically all over. That is what really happens in business, in the so called "free market." That is why we have only 2 companies now making PC CPUs and GPUs. And the way things are going, we may have only one soon.

The chip business is just one of many where we have seen a trend towards more consolidation, mergers, acquisitions, and less competition, real freedom, and choice for the end consumer, over the last few decades. And yet people still have faith in these shams that are referred to as "free markets." Now of course I'm getting off into Sandbox / political territory there a bit and so I will stop there. But it's all related.

Comment

Well at least there is some compensation to owners, though somewhat limited. It's also them not openly or explicity admitting to any wrongdoing. Whatever, they seem to play the blame-game and politics well enough (they are after all the dominant of the two companies).

With that said, it's too bad they didn't work out some deal with retailers to take back 970 cards and offer them a chance to upgrade to the next best (up to the $30 credit + original purchase price of their 970).

As for those links, Randy you are a godsend! I've bookmarked/re-bookmarked most of them (lost most of my reference material on video card troubles a couple of years ago).
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              (lost most of my reference material on video card troubles a couple of years ago).
                              I've moved to a browser and platform (PC, tablet, phone, etc.) independent implementation for my bookmarks as well as notes and references years ago. At first I was doing simple HTML text files by subject, cross linked with a main index. Those I would sync across devices using Google Drive. They were editable on any platform with a simple text editor (Jota is pretty nice on Android).

Now lately I'm using My Life Organized which is a complete to do list / organization tool that supports GTD and many other methodologies. It's also fully cross platform and sync'able (for a reasonable annual fee). I like that there is an actual client for each platform they support (PC, Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, others...) instead of just a web or cloud based app in a wrapper, like so many things are these days. That way, if you do not have connectivity for whatever reason, you can still make your changes and sync them up later when you are connected again. I use it for all sorts of stuff, from grocery and other purchasing lists, to life planning, to capturing ideas, to just capturing notes, links, etc. that I may want to reference later. It has a nice tree structure and supports many different options and paradigms for sorting and organizing your info. I can't speak highly enough about it. It's the centerpiece of my "one (organizational) system to rule them all!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X