Logitech buys Saitek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech buys Saitek

I was going to post this in the Elite: Dangerous sub-forum, but I suspect this affects more people than that, including you Star Citizen fanboys. Just kiddin'! I'm just as excited for SC too! Ha ha! But since we utilize the same tools, this will affect both camps.

According to Hexus in this article, Logitech bought Saitek from Mad Catz. Here is Logitechs blog article: [link]

As a fan of both Logitech and Saitek, I am happy with this arrangement. Hopefully Logitech does what Mad Catz did, and keeps them as a sub-company....thing. (Sorry, not a corporate lawyer) I can see Logitech boosting Saitek products, but only if they stay kinda separate. If they instead choose to absorb the company and assets into the main company instead, I see Logitech losing interest and not updating them after awhile. To me, it seems as if it isn't a mouse or keyboard, then the Logitech product languishes after release. Take the F710. It is a wireless gamepad that looks similar to the PlayStation controllers. The hardware, IMHO, is great but the software is nowhere near par for how they've done it for their keyboards and mice. It's been forever and a half since they've released a software update, but it is a perfect candidate for their unified software offering. I am also fearful that if Logitech decides to fold Saitek into Logitech, will us customers who currently own Saitek products lose out on customer support? Saitek/Mad Catz had some great support! When my Saitek HOTAS systems were having problems, I received great support. Hopefully that will continue!

However, this does give me hope, in the case that this all works out, that maybe their other offerings will get the attention they need from Saitek; with Logitech's greater resources, maybe more attention will be given to their other peripherals. Personally, it would also be nice to see some software unification between the two companies since I own products from both. I am also interested in the VR aspect of it.

What do you guys think?
    sigpic
    "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Man's Prayer Red Green Show
    "Quando omni flunkus moritati" -When all else fails, play dead. -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!]
    [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Re: Logitech buys Saitek

Well, Logitech's Q/A is way better than Madcatz' Q/A or Saitek's Q/A (especially after being bought by Madcatz). The old Saitek products lasted for ages, but newer stuff is really hit or miss, so now we just need to see if that improves. My logitech stuff lasted for ages, too. My old logitech stick lasted for 10 years before I passed it to my friend. [MENTION=19760]ScratchnSniff0[/MENTION], didn't you lose your X55 because it broke after a year? The X52s and X45s were known to last for years, but the X55 is known to be hit or miss.

That being said, I am happy with the sticks I have. Just remember, Saitek pretty much abandoned the software for the x52 system. The software gives me driver based BSODs when I use the knob that controls the mode functionality.

I think part of the reason why the companies have not updated the software is based on a couple of reasons which include the more frequent appearance of OSs, the lack of games using joysticks and HOTAS support over the last decade, and the lower revenue produced from that niche market. If there is not a great enough demand in a market, then spending money to make the software compatible with a new OS is likely not going to happen.

I personally think the purchase of Saitek was a good move because it decreased the number of competitors in the market. If there are fewer, then the companies have more of a reason to improve their products against each other. Certainly, the price will likely see an increase, but because options will likely decrease, the quality will need to improve in order to appeal to more customers. This would hopefully lead to better product designs and better quality assurance. The current reputation of Saitek is attached to the reputation of Madcatz. (You might want to look that up if you are not aware of their reputation.)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Re: Logitech buys Saitek : Does anyone actually read these re's? lol

Actually no, I didn't lose it nor did it break. My X-55 wore out from overuse because I loved that thing and used it for every game that I could. IMHO their products have been getting better and better. In terms of quality, X-52 < X-52pro < X-55 < X56. Yeah, the Q/A ain't great, which I hope improves with the new deal, but they make up for it in the support department.

I had bought the X-52, but I wasn't happy with it so they gave me my money back which I put towards a X-52 Pro. After awhile I had a problem with that one, so they gave me my money back and got the X-55 Rhino and LOVED it. It lasted until a couple months after the warranty expired. The buttons were starting to wear out, they worked but they didn't have tactile feedback anymore. I had asked to purchase a new top for the joystick part of the HOTAS system and they told me they didn't have any parts for the system. They told me to send the entire system back and they would try to fix or replace it. This was when the X-56 was released, mind you, which is why they had already ramped down construction of new parts for the old system and just made the new one. Since they couldn't fix it, as they didn't have the parts, they sent me the new X-56 at no cost, not even shipping even though the warranty was over! I did have to pay shipping to send the old system back in the first place, so I guess you could say the cost was about US$25 bucks, but hey, that ain't bad! Brand new HOTAS system for 25 buckaroos? Eff yeah! This new X-56, is great! Does the same thing and seems even more solid. While I am too broke to afford another system, I am still looking forward to seeing what they release next.

Though this seems like a harrowing journey to get from point A to point B, it wasn't that bad, and I still like Saitek for the price range it is at. Mostly for the excellent customer support, but also because they are improving their product every time.
      sigpic
      "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." -Man's Prayer Red Green Show
      "Quando omni flunkus moritati" -When all else fails, play dead. -Red Green Show
      [Link to my Youtube!]
      [Link to my Twitch!]
      [support]

Comment

Well I have been looking at getting the X-56. I still use an old AV8R which has lasted me about 8 years including 2 deployments.

Hopefully this works out for Saitek, I have always loved both Logitech and Saitek accessories.

Comment

I think this is a good move for Saitek, at least I hope so! I've had an X52 I've used "forever" and it's still kicking along! :) (although it has a few weirdness' with LCD panel these days, nothing mission critical and probably driver related.)
          Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV1

Comment

Great thing for Saitek. It was either get bought out or go bankrupt (and thus ending support for their relatively great keyboards and gamepads).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

From what I have been seeing Logitech has a bunch of rebranded Saitek joysticks and pedals on preorder or already on sale on Amazon. They're called "Logitech G Saitek" and whatever the accessory is, like X56 etc. My big hope is they get the same driver treatment as Logitech's products.

Comment

Logitech drivers for their joysticks are kind of bad, though their mice are ok and keyboards are ok.

By the way, the x52 is now going for $200 on Amazon instead of $120.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X