No announcement yet.

DVD burner that wont recognize DVDs...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD burner that wont recognize DVDs...

Very strange problem that I've been having recently is that my

Memorex DVD+/-DLRWL1 F16 DVD burner

As if this wasnt bad enough though, CD's are read perfectly and can be burned perfectly so I cant blame the hardware...

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of my software, updated my firmware and reinstalled the drive to no avail. It just refuses to read any DVD for any reason...

It used to read and burn DVDs just fine two months ago, now I'm clueless as to why it decided to semi-die.

I cant figure this out and would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.

You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: DVD burner that wont recognize DVDs...

It probably went dead, It uses a different chip to read DVD's and Burn them. I'd look at the warranty now.

Drives can go bad in many different weird ways. I just bought a new burner today after fiddling with mine that had a case of locking the tray. The tray would not come out unless i tapped it. It finally just stopped coming out and had to buy a new burner.

- -

Yea, the burner has different lasers for CD's and DVD's. It is possible for one to go out but not the other.

Here are some good troubleshooting tips: Here I believe your drive is a rebadged LiteON SOHW-1633S if you wanna look around that site for similar problem reports. Seems that it's a common problem for those drives not to read CD's (opposite of your problem) - link

Newegg is selling the NEC 3540 for $40 right now - link I have the previous version (3520) and couldn't be happier. If you're spent more than an hour or two troubleshooting, it's probably easier (cheaper depending on how much your time is worth) to just get a new one.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      | for | |

There have been many problems with DVD-burners as of late. Mostly that they die after about 160 discs in service. (for some people, that means they last all of 3 months)
        The problem you are having is the common DVD-burner died type problem. Replacing the burner is about your only option. As previously mentioned, newegg sells retail burners from NEc and Lite-on and other brands for less than $50 nowadays, so it's not too bad.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed