Monitor problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor problem

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 running on a multisync lcd 21", yesterday i downloaded ATI's updated catalyst drivers and when i installed i still couldn't run the catalyst control panel. About an hour later my monitor flickered off then back on. Another hour later the monitor shut completely off and then i heard the sound for an error prompt. I turned the computer off and then on and the monitor still wasn't going on and i couldn't even see the CMOS or BIOS settings screen or anything. I checked the wires and everything looked fine. Is the problem my monitor is burnt, or could it be the drivers? Someone please help because i'd rather not have to buy a new monitor. Thanks in advance

Re: Monitor problem

Should probably be in the tech forums, but we'll have a go anyway. Try plugging your monitor into another computer. If it works, then it's definitely an issue with the video card. Hopefully it'll be something simple with the drivers, and not a toasted card. You could switch back to onboard video to uninstall the catalyst stuff, then reset your system to the last known working configuration.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

hey i'm not right now, i'm at work, but when i get home i'm gonna try and use another comp with the monitor...if that doesn't work how would i switch back to onboard graphics to uninstall the stuff?

Comment

Monitor problem

Hey i posted this in general but was told to move it here...

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128 running on a multisync lcd 21", yesterday i downloaded ATI's updated catalyst drivers and when i installed i still couldn't run the catalyst control panel. About an hour later my monitor flickered off then back on. Another hour later the monitor shut completely off and then i heard the sound for an error prompt. I turned the computer off and then on and the monitor still wasn't going on and i couldn't even see the CMOS or BIOS settings screen or anything. I checked the wires and everything looked fine. Is the problem my monitor is burnt, or could it be the drivers? Someone please help because i'd rather not have to buy a new monitor. Thanks in advance

Comment

You should try switching the moniter to a different computer or switching out the GPU first if you have the option to.

Comment

well when i get home i'm gonna try a different monitor on my computer...if that monitor works...then what should i do? if that doesn't work and my monitor works on another computer, then what should i do?

Comment

Well, if you can't get your monitor to work on another computer, you won't get it to work with this computer's onboard graphics, heh. :)

Otherwise, if the monitor is fine, just plug it into the monitor port on your motherboard instead of your video card and boot up. You may have to take a brief detour into your BIOS to turn on you onboard graphics, but that's pretty rare nowadays. Once you get into windows, just un-install your ATI drivers, then reboot and switch your monitor back to your video card (if you had to mess with your BIOS, you'll have to mess with it in the opposite direction here again). Once you get into windows, just load up the last working version of your ATI drivers (hopefully you still have them somewhere on your machine, otherwise you should download them beforehand).
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

And you can connect to the broken computer using Remote Desktop Connection.

Comment

hey guys, i got it all covered, it worked when i got home and i uninstalled the drivers so i'll be ok, thanks for the feedback

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X