4th Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Power Supply

Well, my computer is over three years old (well, technically, but I upgrade) and now on it's 4th PSU.

After weird bouts with the BSoD, my computer refused to start up last night. When it finally powered up, nothing but the fans were working. Another PSU bit the dust. All I have hooked up is my old ASUS p4tE MB, a p4 2.0G, 2 HD, sound card, and a BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra. It's not like I'm running a vaccum cleaner off the thing.

My first one was a 300W (bound to die) generic, the second a silent running PSU I forget the name of (was expensive though), the third a 500W Ultra X-Connect PSU that died last night clocking in at 1 year and 1 week old. I picked up an 'emergency' PSU at Best Buy (Antec neopower 480W) and threw it in my machine. I'll take it back when my new one comes in...

Suffice it to say, I am disappointed in the performance of PSU's these days...
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: 4th Power Supply

what the crap are you runnning i have 450 and i have never blown it...its 3 years old......maybe you need to come back and play bf2....i think your PC could be haveing TG gameing withdrawls....
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

It may be the power source... I don't know how clean the power is around where I live and I've heard that that can affect the life of a PSU. So after I move in a few weeks I'll see if I can't convince the wife to go in on a USP with me. And maybe that will help even out the power flow to the computer.

Other than that, I can think of no reason as to why PSU's keep dying on me. But not playing more games might be the reason.
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

ive have found the best way to see if you power is clean is to lick the nearest outlet....if you get that nasty wet sock taste and a sharp buring sensation it means someone is putting socks in your outlets and you just got zapped......

good luck with the power supply issue
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

How about picking up a power supply with a 3 year warranty? Several companies offer 3 year warranties on their power supplies.

Comment

Sounds to me its not the PS but whats feeding the PS. Got it running into the wall or through a surge protector or even better a UPS?

Az
            [age-c1][command]

Comment

Huh. Until a couple weeks ago, I was running my heavily overhauled, 4yo Dell on the factory 250w PSU. The only reason I even upgraded to a 480w was because my pending use of a hungrier vid card demanded it. Never had a prob with the wimpy one though. :row__689:

I like the sock(et) taste test method, though. I'll have to remember that! :row__640:

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                ive have found the best way to see if you power is clean is to lick the nearest outlet....if you get that nasty wet sock taste and a sharp buring sensation it means someone is putting socks in your outlets and you just got zapped......

good luck with the power supply issue
                I've found that the best way to see if you have clean power is to get your little brother to lick the nearest outlet.

Comment

How clean the incoming power is can affect the PSU, but the main two ways a PSU dies is a power surge (hit by lightning, etc.) or insufficient cooling (or just cheaply made for #3).

The simple fact is that stock, even the good name brand PSU's are only rated to last about 4 years. Cheaper PSU's won't last as long because, in order to save money, several things are done to them. They use inefficient parts which generate more heat, but are cheaper. Because most people want silent fans, that means slower fans, which means less cooling. More heat + less cooling = bad for electronics. They also skimp out on much of the PC-end surge protection. Basically means that if a power surge (not just lightning level) gets past the surge protection on the outside of the PC, expect it to pass right to all your expensive parts.

These are several of the reasons I only recommend a few PSU brands. Antec, Fortron Source, PC P&C (Technically Server PSU's, but overclockers/modders love them) and lately OCZ are becoming well-known high-quality brands that offer 3-year full replacement warranties for defective PSU's (Ie: not ones that get blasted by lightning or thrown down the stairs) With anything else, you usually end up with a crapshoot. And you have to be *really* careful about what these companies claim the PSU's can handle, because there is no regulation on how the Wattage of a PSU is reported. I have had 550W rated PSU's only capable of 280W at a time because of how the PSU is hooked up internally.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X