Strange IE behaviour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange IE behaviour

Recently I Internet Explorer has developed a fault. Whenever it wants to open another window it stops responding for a while. eg. if you shift-click a link, when a link opens in another window, or when there is a popup.

When this happens, the window freezes, the mouse pointer goes to the egg timer and IE shows up as 'not respdoning' in the ctl-alt-del window. Often it will start responding if you leave it for a while then switch away and then back to the window.

I have no idea what caused this. As far as I know I didnt change anything right before this happened.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

Win XP (no SPs)
    IE 6.0.2600

cheers,
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Winter.... do yourself a favor, format your HDD....... AND GET SP1 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
    From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
      Winter.... do yourself a favor, format your HDD....... AND GET SP1 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
      I'm running without SP1 as well... I understand that SP1 would make my *cough* version of WinXP pro not work...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

lol, well get the "real" cough version.........
        From Adam Webb

Comment

Not that I'm endorsing it, but there is at least one way to, uh, "work around" the SP1 restriction in question. Something involving a "blue light" special, or so I've heard...
          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

My *cough* version is fully loaded with sp's and updates, IT IS POSSIBLE mwahhahaha

Mute; try reinstalling IE6

Comment

Re: Strange IE behaviour

Originally posted by Wintermute
              Internet Explorer is a fault.
              :)
              Here's where I'd start.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Then move on to : http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

Then go to : http://www.opera.com/
              I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Not for MS Windows, but my favorite:

http://galeon.sourceforge.net/
                "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

there is at least one way to, uh, "work around" the SP1 restriction in question
                  I also have a *cough*. Lots of them going around at this time of year. ;)

I intend to get the workaround from a mate in Jan. Can I infer from what overlag said that I also need to reformat to get SP1? I hate reformats. :(
                  Wintermute

Comment

Not as far as I know.

Some people like to format every couple of months just for fun.

Weirdos. :D
                    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Re: Strange IE behaviour

Originally posted by Wintermute
                      Recently I Internet Explorer has developed a fault. Whenever it wants to open another window it stops responding for a while. eg. if you shift-click a link, when a link opens in another window, or when there is a popup.

When this happens, the window freezes, the mouse pointer goes to the egg timer and IE shows up as 'not respdoning' in the ctl-alt-del window. Often it will start responding if you leave it for a while then switch away and then back to the window.

I have no idea what caused this. As far as I know I didnt change anything right before this happened.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

Win XP (no SPs)
                      IE 6.0.2600

cheers,
                      Interesting, I've just developed this exact same problem on a system I'm building for a friend. Win XP no updates, with the same version of IE. Bugger. I'll probably just throw Server 2003 on for him :)

Edit: OOooooo, creeepy, I've noticed a trend. Several other people I've talked to who have been setting up new XP systems with no updates and a 'special' copy of XP have been having this problem as well, and they've all begun to happen shortly after setting up an Internet connection.

Methinks its a Microsoft conspiracy. Not that I blame them, but I'm procuring a copy of XP with SP1 preinstalls post haste :)
                      I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by HSantal
                        Not as far as I know.

Some people like to format every couple of months just for fun.

Weirdos. :D
                        Atleast once a month for me. But it is easy when you have ghosts to do it with
                        WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Comment

You don't need to format to install SP1 if you have a *cough*, I certainly didn't.

Comment

well I have installed SP1 and all the other critical updates, but it hasn't made a difference :(
                            Wintermute

Comment

Originally posted by Vap0r
                              You don't need to format to install SP1 if you have a *cough*, I certainly didn't.
                              usuallly if my pc has a *cough* I get scared
                              WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X