Help with my system specs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my system specs...

Heys guys, Im thinking of upgrading my computer for xmas, and i need some advise from people who know what there doing ;) here is my specs:

Ati Radeon 9500 256 MB

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intel Celeron And A Motherboard Thats Goes By The Name Of MicroStar Or Something ( this may be my weakness? ) the motherboard and proccessor came with the computer 4 years ago ( as she said she doesnt want it for gaming when she baught it )

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 Gig DDR RAM

---------------------------------------------------------------
    2mb connection, donno if this impacts on my gaming, but in counter strike source i get about 15-20 fps O.O but in cs 1.6 i get average of 40-45

I was going to upgrade the motherboard and proccessor to AMD's 3 ghz + ( my current is 2.4 GHZ ) I just want your general advice to what i should be upgrading to get a lag free experiance with css and maybe bf2? also a review on my video card wudnt go a miss, thanks guys!
    Abehep

Re: Help with my system specs...

Upgrade it all!

AGP is dieing / dead, so the new motherboard will have PCI Express.. the current vid card won't work. The 9500 was good back in the day, but is gettin to be pretty pokey.

Celeron's are fine for everyday web surfing, but as you've found out, aren't the greatest for gaming. The clock speeds of the processors don't mean much any more. For example, my AMD64 3000+ runs at only around 1.8GHz.

The connection doesn't have much to do with your FPS. It's the power of the computer that's important.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

Sorry forgot the microstar it's pentium 4, Im not to good with computer building, but i know my fare bit
      Abehep

Comment

Its p4 but someonwhere along the line i've seen the name microstar under motherboard
        Abehep

Comment

I think MSI is short for Micro-Star. They make decent stuff.

2GB of RAM if you can swing it. BF2 LOVES RAM and I'm sure newer games will too.

Decide how much you want to spend and get the best stuff you can.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          | for | |

Comment

I would of thought for now my best bet would of been new motherboard and proccessor?
            Abehep

Comment

Like I said, AGP is old and busted, PCI Express is the new hotness. So you'll end up with new motherboard + processor + video card.. And you'll want new / additional RAM. And your hard drive is probably slow, so you'll want a faster one to go with all the faster components. Power supply may not be up to the task of the powering all the newer, power hungry components so you wanna upgrade that too... So, yea.. new computer time :) I look at this as a good thing!
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              | for | |

Comment

Give me some money then... :D lol:P
                Abehep

Comment

Explain to me why i cannot just ask for a pci express board that supports ddr and my radeon 9500?
                  Abehep

Comment

I'll tell you what.. Make life much easier for me.. can you/someone post a newish good performance motherboard and proccessor that is available to buy in the uk for around 120-140!
                    Abehep

Comment

Originally posted by Craigster
                      Explain to me why i cannot just ask for a pci express board that supports ddr and my radeon 9500?
                      Because your 9500 is a AGP card. PCI Express is an entirely different standard that is not backwards compatible.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

I'm not sure about this but i think there are some sort of cards that lets an agp card use a pci'express slot. I also read somewhere that there is a mobo with both slots.

Of course that was over here in sweden, but maybe you could google for it.

But i'm far from sure that would be a good solution
                        If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Currently playing under name: Bleach

Comment

Hey Craigster, I have a contact in the hardware business I can put some different configs together with some prices if you like. I also work for Fedex and can send the stuff to you at a discount. I don't know if that helps. You can also check newegg.com or pricegrabber.com to get some good deals. The other guys are right about PCI Express. It's faster and cheaper and always best to upgrade everything to cut down in conflicts between old components and new, It'll drive you crazy. Let me know if I can help.
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X