Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building New PC

(sorry if wrong section)

since i'm one of the lucky ones that has an extremely out-dated onboard agp with no other slots and a PCI ATI 9250 128MB that won't run any "newer" games reasonably and refuses to run BF2 alltogether - i have planned on building a new pc next week.

i would like your opinions on which is the "best" for a reasonable price(<-canada). i have been told this is good: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...956&CatId=1181 a friend has also told me Asus is very good - what do you guys think?

thanks in advance.

Re: Building New PC

i would go with the ATI video cards, because the new setup that they have have allow you to run dual video cards of different series together in a sort of sli mode. I am an ATI freak just so you know. I cant really tell you anything else that someone else doesnt know more about, sorry.

Comment

Its a socket 754 which is a pretty dead socket, it only has an AGP port. On the other hand if you get it and put a 3700+ in it along with a good AGP card , at the very least a 6600GT you should be fine for awhile. I would recommend a 6800 though or an ATI of the same class. With a Gb of ram you should be set for awhile.

Dont do it however if you want to upgrade again soon, you cannot put a pci-e card in it ever.

Personally i would go with a socket 939 with a pci-e slot, or two if you want SLI. Becuase in the future you can upgrade to a proccesor with dual cores.

In the end it sort of depends on your budget and needs.
      If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Currently playing under name: Bleach

Comment

i agress with evil, if your gonna upgrade i feel you should do it in a rather large bound, if you can stretch try and go 939 + pci-e

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

939 if your budget can handle it.

I personally went 754 because of budget and it runs great. I am anti PCI express :P.

- -

Comment

Could you give us a budget? It helps alot to know how much you can spend. That said if you can spend above $800 US you should go 939/ PCI-E. I wouldn't reccomend buying from tigerdirect, couple of bad experiences with them. I'm not shure if Newegg ships to canada though.

---

Comment

Newegg doesn't ship to canada. I personally recommend Monarch computers or Compuvest for shipping to canada.

- -

Comment

For Canada, compare prices from www.tigerdirect.ca and www.canadacomputers.com. That should give you an idea of what a good price range is for any given part, then buy from wherever you prefer.

Comment

I am now solely dedicated to Canadacomputers and would almost be willing to give up my first born if they asked.
                  Outstanding customer support and good prices. Big bonus for me is that they are local to me in the Kitchener area.
                  They also have stores around Toronto and other areas.

Comment

thanks for all the replies!

my budget i can go to around $1300(canadian). the only option i know of is TigerDirect.ca and eBay.ca but i dont really want to buy from anything outside of Canada because last time i did i got taxed big at the border - but if i have to i will. if anyone finds a good motherboard & cpu on tigerdirect or something please post the link. i heard PCI-Express makes you lose FPS but i havent seen any evidence to back this up. and i myself would also rather stay up-to-date with technology.

Comment

Canadacomputers looks real good, wish i knew about them 2 weeks ago!

- -

Comment

I second monarch. Didn't know they shipped to Canada. One of the best places i've bought from. Almost as good as Newegg.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Aphextc
                          thanks for all the replies!

my budget i can go to around $1300(canadian). the only option i know of is TigerDirect.ca and eBay.ca but i dont really want to buy from anything outside of Canada because last time i did i got taxed big at the border - but if i have to i will. if anyone finds a good motherboard & cpu on tigerdirect or something please post the link. i heard PCI-Express makes you lose FPS but i havent seen any evidence to back this up. and i myself would also rather stay up-to-date with technology.
                          Whoever said that about PCI-E jealous. Just find a good 939 mobo (NF4 ultra) and a 3500 venice core and you're set. Monarch has some good combo deals but i don't know how much it costs for them to ship to Canada.

---

Comment

does www.CanadaComputers.com offer Motherboards with CPU already on them? if they do can you please post a link to the section that does?

sorry i'm hardware illiterate so disregard my vagueness.

Comment

Ya im with steel_penguin. A 939 mobo with pci-express & a 3500 prossesor is a good set up that wont break the bank. I did alot of research before i started this build & used these forums to decide what i was going to build & this is what i came up with.

I bought a Asus A8n-sli mobo it has 939 socket & pci-express ports 169.00. Video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6800gt for 324.00 from Tiger Direct which i found cheaper a couple days later at Newegg. I just ordered a 3500 prossesor from newegg for 201.00 best price i found. Then ordered a 250.0gb hard drive from Tiger Direct for 109.00 dollars. I already have a nice case that the mobo will fit in, & also had a 500w power supply. I still have a few things to buy but these are the most costly pieces, the rest is nickle, dime stuff u know. anyway good luck on the build.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X