Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need motherboard/CPU recommendations for UK.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need motherboard/CPU recommendations for UK.

OK kinda urgent need give mummy my xmas list ;P sooo im not sure about what sort of motherboard i need because i've been told diffrent things, I want a newish board that's good for gaming but i also need it to include a amd proccessor if possible. My current vid card is ati radeon 9500 and i need this board to support it for a while ( couple of months ) and i really would like it to support for agp and pci-e with a budget of 150 thanks.

P.S i really do need some fast replies with the exact name of board that will sute me so that i can tell her what to order. Thanks in advance
    Abehep

Re: HELP!! Need fast

Firstly, if you don't understand something, deciding fast is not the way to go about it.
    Secondly, to my knowledge, they do not make Motherboards that are both AGP and PCI-e, they are either one or the other. (edit: upon a very quick search on newegg I found exactly 2 motherboards with both, neither from brands that I would personally buy)
    Thirdly, You want a mobo/CPU combo, or just a mobo that supports AMD processors? Do you currently have a processor that this motherboard needs to support, or are you looking at upgrading your whole PC?
    Fourthly, christmas is in, uh, 2 months? Why do you need to know asap? Most people don't even do their major christmas shopping until around thanksgiving (which is still a good month away)
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Things sell out quikly and it can take up to 2 months for delivery in the uk, also i want just a new decent board that will support agp, ok if it doesnt support pci-e fair anough for now ill just have to wait, but just a decent board that supports agp comes with amd proccessor is all i need for now. Thanks
      Abehep

Comment

Originally posted by Craigster
        Things sell out quikly and it can take up to 2 months for delivery in the uk,
        Jesus. Don't you people have UPS? =P
        Well, as for combo's, that's always a store deal kind of thing. Motherboards never come with a processor physically boxed, you have to buy them seperately. So now it comes into the realm of how much you want to spend and, quite possibly what's available, especially if you have to buy retail in the UK.

On the cheap side you can get a Asus a7n8x-E deluxe for about $80 USD. Combine that with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor for about $100 USD, or a slighgtly slower sempron processor for a bit cheaper. The downside is that you're capped at this processor speed, and any future upgrade would require you go to socket 939.

On the spendy side you can get a Asus A8V Deluxe socket 939 Motherboard for about $120USD. Combine that with a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (socket 939) for about $150 USD. The upside of this is that socket 939 is the current processor line for AMD, so there is a lot of processor upgradability available in the future if you go this route.

So, obviously you'll have to convert that to your local currency, and if you're buying retail, add 10-20% to the total to get the probable list price you'd find at a store.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

What about bundles? i heard that there are some cheap motherboard bundles going around..
          Abehep

Comment

Like I said, bundles/combo's are usually store promotions/deals. I don't know of anything that actually comes bundled from the manufacturer. If you were living in the US, I could provide all manner of good locations for bundle deals, but in the UK, you're kind of SOL and need to go physically look at the stores yourself. If you really want a cheap mobo/CPU bundle, Ebay has them constantly, but then you're dealing with ebay, which brings it's own little set of quirks.

The cheap side is Socket A (sometimes referred to as Socket 462)

The spendy side is Socket 939.

Your CPU socket must match your Mobo socket. That's the only key bit of information you need. everything else is features and "what you want"

Comment

Originally posted by Craigster
              2 months for delivery in the uk,
              2 months?! where the hell do you live? when i order hardware i get nextday delivery, if your going to be buying your stuff from an online retailer you should really be buying from a uk based retailer, you can get everything newegg have in the uk too you know?
              Last edited by Limenote; 10-24-2005, 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Check out the asus site for the info on their motherboards and MSI's site.

- -

Comment

just get a whole bundle from newegg.com. buy mobo get cpu free. or something like that

Comment

I can't buy online, thats why im stuck.. :(
                    Abehep

Comment

finds...a...me....hard.....war3z

loL:p ok on goes my long hunt for the hardware thats right for me and i've been looking everywhere and not found what i want :( so heres where u guys can help me?:( i need to find a nice quAlity motherboard with agp slots and a 939 socket would be nice ( This board will be entirely for gaming ) My budget is 120 can't go over.

Now for the processor, I want a nice proccessor that will fit the board above with no problems and is good for gaming my budget is 130. Thanks in advance ~Craig~
                      Abehep

Comment

Re: finds...a...me....hard.....war3z

Don't know where you buy parts from in the land of fish and chips, but here are my recommendations for motherboards:
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130514
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131510

I like nForce based boards, so the first would be my preference, but either should treat ya right.

AMD Athlon64 Venice core chips are good... If you wanna spend your entire 130, then http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103533 (although I don't know how technology prices are over there, so you may need to go down to a 3200 or 3000).
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

Comment

Thanks for allways replyieng to my posts perry much appreciated and i've just found my old card so i can buy online! will check these links out now, thanks
                          Abehep

Comment

You know what perry, the first board looks good too me and as im not in the us i dnt go by $ so its around 45 here whichis not alot at all. But i will have to buy a new case because my old shabby blue 1 just wouldnt cut it for this board. You positive its good for gaming? i know a fair bit about computers but motherboards processors e.t.c is where i need help ;) so im taking ur word for this entirely! ~craig~
                            Abehep

Comment

AMD venice core all the way. I know Brits can't buy from newegg but i think Monarch ships there. Can't help you with the motherboard b/c i have PCI-E and haven't kept an eye on AGP boards for a long time.I'm not current on exchange rates but i think this fits your proc budget. Hope that helps.

---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X