HD formatting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD formatting

okay i call myself a techie/computer jock. I have a HD in a computer that im "fixing" i want to Format the HD without using the Windows install disk. ive already tried to format the drive with said disk...i know there are programs out there i can use to fix my problem...the HD gets half way thru and gives me a HD error...can not continue...

what kind of programs are out there for me to use...
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: HD formatting

the easiest way I've found to format a HDD under XP (assuming the windows CD won't do it right for whatever reason) is to install the HDD in a second PC, and formatting it through windows. Older versions of windows come with that DOS clone that you can format from under any circumstances.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Go to the HDD manufacturer's website and download the tools to do a low-level or factory reformat.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

You might also try a tool like http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ - is always good to have in your toolchest. Or BartPE.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
          You might also try a tool like http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ - is always good to have in your toolchest. Or BartPE.
          Yep, Yep.. fully agree.
          Thar ya go.
          sigpic

Comment

welp i tryted that disk....great tool by the way...and half way thru a low level format it crashed...so im thinking the HD is busted
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
              This is an essential tool. That, and Knoppix are cornerstones of my PC tool kit.

Comment

I just activated the Admin tools in the startup menu and used the media manager to format and partition my 160GB drve when I added it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X