Need help setting up a wireless router to xbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help setting up a wireless router to xbox

im going to buy a wireless router in order to connect my xbox to live, The problem i have is can i buy a wireless router, plug it into the ethernet on my xbox then plug the USB adapter into my pc will the connection work backwards like this or will i have to buy a wireless gaming adapter instead?

Re: Need help setting up a wireless router to xbox

Yea..

Plug your DSL/Cable modem in to the WAN side of the router, then just normal ethernet over to the Xbox from one of the switch ports on the router, and your PC can hit the router using wireless. No problemo.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

You didn't really say how you're connected to the i-net. If you won't to run it this way, is there a reason you can't plug your dsl/cable modem into the router by the xbox? Cause if so, that will work fine. However if your modem needs to be plugged into your PC, then I'm not sure that will work, can't think of the exact reason right now but it doesn't seem right. Don't think routers can take a wireless connection as their WAN/uplink port, but then I may be wrong too, haven't looked into it.

Comment

i think if i understand what your saying you mean why cant i plug my xbox straight into the modem via ethernet its becaue that would only let me use xbox live and my broadband is used by all the family so i dont think you can share the interent conection if you directly connect the xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by SPOOKS_UK
          i think if i understand what your saying you mean why cant i plug my xbox straight into the modem via ethernet its becaue that would only let me use xbox live and my broadband is used by all the family so i dont think you can share the interent conection if you directly connect the xbox.

No we're saying move your modem so it's sitting physically by the router and the xbox. Then plug your modem into the WAN/uplink port on the router and the xbox into one of the free ports.

Comment

but my xbox is upstairs in my room and my pc is downstairs you see so my modem is next to the computer that why i am thinking about going wireless so i dont have to have cables everywhere. Moving the modem to my xbox will be quite annoying to do id rather just have the etherent cable to my xbox rather than moving the modem will this still work if i dont move the modem and do what perry said to do?

Comment

You've lost me now.

2nd floor - Xbox
              1st floor - PC & modem + new router

Right?

So you want to run an ethernet cable from the new router upstairs to the Xbox? Why would the PC need wireless at all? The router [probably] has 4 switch ports for connecting 4 devices (Xbox, PS2, computers, toasters..).

PS. Proper punctuation and such will help us understand you better.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              | for | |

Comment

If you don't want to move your modem, you need what's called a wireless bridge, or the xbox wireless adaptor (I believe MS actually makes one). The setup you're thinking of probably won't work unless you can set the router to accept it's 'WAN/uplink' through a wireless connection.

Comment

right ill tell you exactly what i have where. I havent got a router of any sort yet, only my modem for my interent downstairs by the computer. My question is can i connect my xbox to live without buying a wireless router and a gaming adapter could i just buy the router and connect via etherenet? Or will i have to buy a gaming adaptor as well
                  Last edited by SPOOKS_UK; 11-02-2005, 07:05 AM.

Comment

anybody have any ideas????

Comment

right ill tell you exactly what i have where. I havent got a router of any sort yet, only my modem for my interent downstairs by the computer. My question is can i connect my xbox to live without buying a wireless router and a gaming adapter could i just buy the router and connect via etherenet? Or will i have to buy a gaming adaptor as well
                      The Xbox has a place to plug in the ethernet cable, no? Just plug it in to the router, no need for wireless unless you don't want to run the cable around the house.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

Maybe yes and Maybe no, it depends on your ISP. Some ISP's link their high speed internet to the MAC address on your main PC, so if you try to run any other PC or device strait off of the modem, it won't work. This practice is (thankfully) largly going out of style, but your ISP may still practice it. If it does not, you can take the modem and plug it directly into the Xbox and play Xbox live, but your Computer will be OFFLINE while you do. This is what I do with my PS2 to play (I have an ethernet router, so I'm only taking my personal PC offline when I do, but that's a different story.) If you want to have BOTH online at the same time, or if your ISP locks to your computers MAC address, you'll need a router of some kind. If you get a wireless router, you'll also need wireless network adapters for atleast one of your components (PC or Xbox). I highly suggest you find a buddy that knows how to set it up properly, because you'd need to make the router look like your PC in order for it to work, by cloning the mac address.

Assuming I understood you correctly, that should be your answer.
                        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X