Quick poll - Laptops in general

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick poll - Laptops in general

Is anyone using a laptop for high performance gaming at this time?

- Stop laughing - seriously!

If you would like to expand on your answer to the poll, please do..

If you are, what kind and what performance settings are you getting out of it?

If you are not, but have been considering one, what have you discovered so far?

+ P8 +
    Yes, I do.
    20.45%
    No, I don't.
    34.09%
    No, But I am thinking about it.
    11.36%
    Are you out of your mind! laptop's ain't got game!
    34.09%
    Last edited by P8riot; 11-03-2005, 03:07 PM.
    sigpic

Re: Quick poll - Laptops in general

I don't, but I know some folks who do. That new crazy one from dell will do, and there's some Sony ones that could handle BF2.

Comment

No. Here's why:

Waaaaay too much money for price/performance.
      Screens are too small.
      Keyboard layout stinks. (I know, peripherals, but that defeats the point of the laptop in the first place)
      If you ain't got mouse, you ain't got FPS.
      Battery life is crap on high-end gaming laptops.
      Very little customization/tweaking/modding that can be done to the hardware.

Comment

When my video card got borked a couple months ago, I was restricted to using my laptop to play BF2. It wasn't that bad. Everything was on low settings of course, but the game was definitely playable. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 (PM 1.6) with the 128 meg X300 card in it. I should note that at 512 megs it was unplayable, but with 1 gig of RAM it worked fine on low settings.
        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by WhyYouLoveMe
          No. Here's why:

Waaaaay too much money for price/performance.
          Screens are too small.
          Keyboard layout stinks. (I know, peripherals, but that defeats the point of the laptop in the first place)
          If you ain't got mouse, you ain't got FPS.
          Battery life is crap on high-end gaming laptops.
          Very little customization/tweaking/modding that can be done to the hardware.
          A lot of that used to be true, which was what prompted me to bring it up. The new generation is a little different. Naturally - there are limitations unique to a laptop - gaming will primarily be plugged in to A/C peripheral mouse will be used (I have a Logitech G7 - real conveinient for travel), maybe my Nostromo N52 - but probably not.. I might forgo that in favor of a compact controller that is better for flight.. etc..

This will be a good barometer as to where everyone is at - for me it isn't a case of whether or not to buy a laptop - I bought one - it'll be here tomorrow. It'll be in addition to my main system of course, it is nice to be in a position to do that. I am going to (unless absolutly nobody is interested) post a full review of my experience with the laptop.

Who knows, maybe I am one of the few to take it this far. Additionally - I'll get the chance to (hopefully) relate my experience in using various public WAP locations in hotels and what-not over the next few months - should be interesting.

=P8=
          sigpic

Comment

I realise laptops have limitations, but you can play while on the privy :)

Comment

Work yes, gaming no.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

You can easily get laptops that will play games at super high resolution with great graphics, but you're going to spend 1-2 thousand dollars easily and that laptop is going to obsolete in a few years. It's better to just upgrade a desktop.

Comment

I run BF2 on my Dell XPS (gen 1) and it looks beautiful. I had to get a portable machine for video editing, graphics work, and gaming, and this one has stood up to just about anything I hit it with. The only down sides are cost ($3k) and battery life (2 hours without spinning up the DVD). I use a wireless mouse.

If you want a system purely for gaming and it can be stationary, go desktop. You'll save money. But I do like the versatility of my laptop. The only specific problem with BF2 is that the game does not support widescreen formats, so everything looks a little stretched. (If anyone has a solution to that, I'd like to hear it.)
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                    You can easily get laptops that will play games at super high resolution with great graphics, but you're going to spend 1-2 thousand dollars easily and that laptop is going to obsolete in a few years. It's better to just upgrade a desktop.
                    Gaming laptops are two grand minimum and you're exactly right. PC upgrading is less expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                      I run BF2 on my Dell XPS (gen 1) and it looks beautiful. I had to get a portable machine for video editing, graphics work, and gaming, and this one has stood up to just about anything I hit it with. The only down sides are cost ($3k) and battery life (2 hours without spinning up the DVD). I use a wireless mouse.

If you want a system purely for gaming and it can be stationary, go desktop. You'll save money. But I do like the versatility of my laptop. The only specific problem with BF2 is that the game does not support widescreen formats, so everything looks a little stretched. (If anyone has a solution to that, I'd like to hear it.)
                      It stretches? Really? I would have expected the black bars on each side.

Yes, the laptop I just bought was $4300, I was going to get the XPSG2 with the Go7800GTX but BOXX just had a better plan. My home system is to-die for :icon26:, in my case I'm just getting this for being on the road.

Oh did I mention, In my case, this is so I can do my work on the road.. no, not gaming, not BF2 :icon_wink: Ya know.. AutoCAD, Adobe CS2, etc.. :icon_wink:

+ P8 +
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                        The only specific problem with BF2 is that the game does not support widescreen formats, so everything looks a little stretched. (If anyone has a solution to that, I'd like to hear it.)
                        Typing the resolution into the command prompt doesn't work with widescreen? That is lame.
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I do a lot of traveling so it's a laptop for me. My Dell does great with BF2 and it did great with 1942, well to many games to list here. It better work good for the 3k I paid for it.

It's Specs:

Dell 9100
                          CPU 3.2 HT
                          1 Gig Memory
                          128 MB Vid Card
                          Wireless 54G
                          15.4 Inch Screen
                          Logitec TrackMan Wheel (works great for movement and sniping)

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                            Typing the resolution into the command prompt doesn't work with widescreen? That is lame.
                            If I do that on my system it reverts to the lowest standard aspect ratio resolution and stretches it across the screen. So I just leave it on one of the presets. It's kind of annoying, but really only when you look at blackhawks. They get all wide and strange.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

I own a laptop, and that is what I use to play CS:S, and every other thinge ever.

Specs:
                              3.2ghz p4 EXTREME Edition
                              1 gig 3200 ram
                              40 gig 10,000 rpm HD
                              ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
                              1650x1050 17" screen res/size

I can run CS:S at all high settings except reflections and shadows at 30-45 fps.

On battery power my laptop runs 45 min while using word etc.
                              14.5 min Playing CS:S

My laptop rocks for CS:S, but any toher game is too new. it runs AGP, so no upgrades.

Check it out. www.hypersonic-pc.com http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.asp the laptops are the most powerful out there with the cheapest price, the customer service is great

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X