• Show
Clear All

• First Components of my new Rig.

-Asus K8V SE Deluxe Socket 754 ATX Motherboard
    -AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.40GHz
    -(3)Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory
    $330

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...042&CatId=1734

-ASPIRE X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail w/420 watt power supply
    $53

Now I don't know what graphics card to get, since I don't think that motherboard supports PCI express.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
    Einstein

Re: First Components of my new Rig.

I would suggest a Radeon card. One of the 9000 series are good and work on APG slots. the X.... series works on the PCI-Express slots.

Comment

Buy from Newegg. TigerDirect has a pretty bad record. I also wouldn't get socket 754 because of upgradeability. Ultra is a crappy brand, and $300 is way too much to pay for memory IMO. Here's some links to equivalent stuff from newegg.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 -
      AMD Athlon 64 3700+ socket 939 (San Diego)
      OCZ Value Series 2GB(2x1GB) PC3200

The memory ends comes out alot cheaper than the other one and OCZ is a good brand. Most good memory manufacturers value lines are pretty much the same as the expensive stuff anyway.

I would also get a better case. That included power supply is probably generic and might crap out on you. I suggest Antec. Good power supplies and well made cases.

Antec Sonata w/ 450w PS

For the graphics card I would get a 6600GT or a 6800GT depending on your budget whether or not you get the above motherboard, which has PCE-e, or the other board, which is stuck with AGP.EVGA,Leadtek, and BFG are good brands too look at.
      Be careful of XFX though,even though they are usually the cheapest people have had problems with their customer support and faulty cards.

Leadtek 6600GT
      EVGA 6800GT

Hope all that helps.
      Penguin

---

Comment

Just in case here's Tigerdirect's resellerratings along with Newegg's . I can personally vouch for Newegg. Great shipping and customer service. I sent a motherboard in for a repair and the sent me a brand new board!

---

Comment

What would you suggest, Pentium or athlon?
          Einstein

Comment

Athlon. Hence the links to an Athlon processor and Mobo :p.

---

Comment

LOL. Athlon and AMD are the future in gaming, if they can take full advantage of the 64 bit processing.

Comment

And does that motherboard u suggested support 4200 memory? The memory on the other site was 35 dollars per 512 mb. Thnx for everything Steel, helped a lot!
                Einstein

Comment

Just get 3200 IMO. And yes it probably does if you must have a higher number but it doesen't make too much of a performance difference. If you are going to buy your stuff from tigerdirect then at least make shure the memory isn't Ultra brand. Crappy stuff all around. Corsair, OCZ, and Kinston are good brands ( I know there are more but that's off the top of my head).
                  Penguin

---

Comment

What does it mean on the motherboard when it says NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard , does that mean it only supports Nvidia cards?
                    Einstein

Comment

No that's just the chipset. It will supoport ATI cards just fine. I still like Nvidia better for graphics cards though :).

---

Comment

Why are you getting 3 512MB memory chips?

Definitely go with the Penguin's suggestions.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I'd go with the 6800 agp card personally. Great card.

- -

Comment

Cool, well Steel Penguin, I hope you know your stuff cuz I think I'm gonna go with your suggestions. For that case, does it need another fan for the side since it only comes with a 120mm fan?

Computer Gaming Rig

-DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard – Retail-$125 -$2 shipping
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152

-AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor – Retail-$233 - Free shipping
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813136152

-CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory – Retail - $117 – Free shipping
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145450

-Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply – Retail -$99 -$18.99 shipping

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card – Retail – $284.99 -$3.50 shipping
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130215

Thats a total of $883.48 for what appears to me to be a kick-ass rig.
                            Last edited by Anubis_Maximus; 11-06-2005, 09:22 PM.
                            Einstein

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145072, HITACHI Deskstar 7K250 14R9463 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive – OEM - $76.50 - $3.49 shipping thats for storage. and the reason for 3 512s is because I read recent tech study showed that multiple 512s runs faster than larger single memory units.
                              Last edited by Anubis_Maximus; 11-06-2005, 09:22 PM.
                              Einstein

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X