Amd Athlon Vs. Pentium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd Athlon Vs. Pentium

I would like to know any links to information regarding the performance of these two processor types on games and overall performance. Say a Athlon +3700 vs Pentium 3.4 EE
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
    Einstein

Re: Amd Athlon Vs. Pentium

okay i got no link but this is my personal opinoin and experience....i got both an AMD and P4 running compareable in specs and such...when i bought them at differnt times the one i got was cheaper then the other..make sense...i generally find what i want and get a proc thats the cheapest and has all i want
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2456

Intel wishes it could make a processor as fast as the FX-57. That link is about the 57 but it has just about the whole line of Athlon and Pentium processors. Well atleast the more recent of the bunch
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

www.tomshardware.com

they have an interactive processor comparison chart. Look on the right hand side.

The Athlon won the WinRar compariosn, but the pentium was ahead on the XVid. Lots of tests to choose from.

Comment

I think I am going to use the AMD X2 Manchester processor for my next computer.

Comment

I have the AMD Venice, getting ready to upgrade to the San Diego. IMO the AMD.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

^Overclock Turbo. I am telling you.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

The AMD processors use less power and are thus much cooler than Intel. I love my venice core. I listened to the designer of the dual-core CPUs (if you get a socket 939 you can upgrade from single to dual core. on intel you have to buy a new mobo) and he was very interesting about what they did and how. The direct connection of the CPU to the memory makes memory accesses faster - AMD is years (1-2) ahead of Intel in innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                  ^Overclock Turbo. I am telling you.
                  Ill PM you before I buy. :icon_wink

Comment

For Gaming AMD, I generally find Intel mobo + intel proc = more stable.

The AMD runs over most anything other than the Pentium M, honestly when dual core Pentium Ms come out...that might be my next PC proc. From what I have heard and seen PM trounce most things Mhz for Mhz.

Az
                    [age-c1][command]

Comment

amd all the way. i aint no amd fanatic, i had Pentium for like most of my life, i just switched to AMD. reason i say it rocks is to get the same result as a AMD 4000, you got to go buy urself a P4 3.6 Extreme crazy shiit edition that costs like x3 more. so pretty much if you dont have the bucks pentium is not for you. and even if you do pentium is still not for you. go buy yourself an AMD X2 if you really have to or a FX57 but hey man a 355 buck AMD 4000 will do the job any P4 3.6 Prescott can. (btw the P4 3.6 Prescott is i believe the the most recent thing out of pentium)

Comment

AMD here. I don't have links to articles handy but before i built my current comp i read plenty of them and AMD beats Intel all around. Besides, i like green :).

---

Comment

Wouldn't the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor for $400.00 be better then a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ ClawHammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor for $345.00? I don't know too much about them so please tell me because I will be building a computer soon. The small difference in the price really doesn't matter, I want the best gaming computer with the processor costing around $400.

Comment

^^^^The X2 will multitask better but the 4000+ should game better. However the X2 will game better when games become multithreaded. As of right now I beleive only F.E.A.R. is multithreaded.

The difference between the two in tech terms is the 4000+ has 1MB of cache while the 4200+ has 512MB on each core. Also the 4000+ is a whole 200Mhz faster but the 4200+ is 90nm while the the 4000+ is 130nm. So the 4200+ will run cooler and use less power. Thus you can overclock it more. =)
                            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

So what would you purchase, I plan on building a new computer every 2 years so it will be around for awhile.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X