Which FX Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which FX Card

I am now having to upgrade my old 9800pro, i am sticking with AGP for now as i cannot justify upgrading my system yet. So i am in a dilemma between the following cards..

XFX GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP)

I cannot afford a X850XT or the 6800 Ultra so want the best bang for my buck...Does any1 know if there is enough of a performance increase from the 6600GT to the XL to justify the $100 increase in price.

Can any1 give me any help?

My Spec...
    P4C800 E Delux
    P4 3.0 Northwood ( OC to 3.6 )
    GeIL 1gig (2x512MB) PC4400 Ultra Platinum CAS3
    [defense]

Re: Which FX Card

Go with the GeForce 6600. I bought one recently and it runs very smoothly on my machine which is similar to yours.

Comment

BFG has a good 6800 G-Force. I just up-graded to the 7800.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I understand that you did not want to pop the extra bucks for the 6800 card, but perhaps you could wait just a smidgeon longer for more price drop due to the advent of the 7800 card. I purchased the Nvidia GT 6800 OC BFG card for only $325 at Fry's in California and it is freaky amazing! On testing the card with frame rate software I am getting 96 to 102 frames per second with 16 pipelines. My 5950 Ultra previously was only giving me 45 to 55. The shader engines and speed of this card now give me fantastic depth perception and graphics. Sunlight glare, depth of field, color intensity.... all have amazing color and clarity.

My two cents is to buy as much card now as you possibly can afford, you won't regret it later!

All the best!
        Voodoo-Sniper

Comment

Sorry for the shameless advertising - ahem. I am selling my 6800 Ultra from BFG, factory overclocked here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=62323
          Shipping to UK might be a problem though. You could kick Voodoo-Snipers a$$ with a few more pixel pipelines

Comment

Tom's Hardware has a test of various graphics cards including the X800 XL and 6600 GT. I linked the PCI-e cards since their AGP test doesn't include the mentioned cards.

It pretty much come down to what framerates you'll be comfortable running. Another consideration is the 6600 GT has PS3 support while the X800 XL is still PS2. Will PS3 come in handy? I don't really think so. A game that requires it probably wouldn't run so smoothly on the 6600 GT. It's probably better to spring for a 6800 if you want that PS3 support.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
              Shipping to UK might be a problem though.
              Shouldn't be a problem. And I think that if it's a "gift" then there's no VAT, right?
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Can I tag onto this question.
                Since I am an extreme cheapo I was wondering how poorly the 9600XT stacks up.

I currently have:
                P4 2.4
                P4ASX-x motherboard
                1 gig kingston ram
                9600se vid
                WD 80gig ATA harddrive

With the above setup will a jump from a 9600se(128mb) to a 9600XT(256mb) make much of a difference?

Comment

Marstein, I think you said your's was PCI-Express architecture and he needs AGP, which preceeds yours. The two cards ARE NOT interchangeable for use on the Motherboard.

You're price is damn good and I would have purchased yours myself, but I am AGP also and did not want to drop buckets of money on a new SLI twin card machine. Not just yet. Let the price drop in the next six months.

As for kicking my arse with a new card. Damn, I think he'll need a little more than that, but you're right... you would be amazed (totally Amazed) at what you see with a nice high-powered card installed! I freaked out with mine so your 7800 should be a total mind boggler! Best of luck with it.

Oh, and if by chance I plug you out there in the field using my BFG 6800 GT OC Card..... it was just luck I suppose ?

on the lighter side.... best to all!

Voodoo-Sniper

Comment

Voodoo-sniper - thanks for pointing this out. A colleague almost bought it today and then I remembered that he is on AGP.
                    I get plugged all the time no matter what and with what I play (and a lot by you - your name rings a bell). At least I can afford looking at a high-detail sky with that new card.
                    Prices drop all the time. You have to set a performance&price point at which you are willing to buy and buy then. There are some people still hanging on to that 8086 saying that in 6 month the will get 30% more power for them same price. :-)

Comment

Well guys took the plunge after many a day searching. I picked up the card below...

SAPPHIRE RADEON X800 GTO 256MEG
                      400MHz Engine Clock
                      Memory Clock 490MHz
                      12 Pipes

Got it for under 100 so im well happy as I sold my 9800pro pro for 60.

Apparently they O/C like a dream - ill post my results as soon as it arrives...

Hopefully very very quickly as im having massive TG CSS withdrawl.
                      [defense]

Comment

The card turned up this morning..

I have installed Cat 5.10 drivers ran an overclock on the card, I am now pushing 450/550 - unfortunately I cannot unlock the extra pipelines but I am getting a 3dmark 03 score of 9229 which I am very happy with.

Look forward to being shot in the head l8r :)
                        [defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff
                          The card turned up this morning..

I have installed Cat 5.10 drivers ran an overclock on the card, I am now pushing 450/550 - unfortunately I cannot unlock the extra pipelines but I am getting a 3dmark 03 score of 9229 which I am very happy with.

Look forward to being shot in the head l8r :)
                          Yes you can. I believe you have to flash the card though. (Erase its BIOS and install the BIOS of I believe the X800XT.)
                          RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                          TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                          "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                          "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

The Sapphire GTO2's can be flashed as they have the R480 core - but I have the standard R430 core which i believe cant be unlocked to 16 pipes.

The only GTO1 card i am aware that can be modded is the connect3d GTO.

If you know different and can give me some further info i would be glad to have a go at flashing it.

Here is what i found..

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ng/vidcard/127

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/.../vidcard/127/4
                            [defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff
                              Well guys took the plunge after many a day searching. I picked up the card below...

SAPPHIRE RADEON X800 GTO 256MEG
                              400MHz Engine Clock
                              Memory Clock 490MHz
                              12 Pipes

Got it for under £100 so im well happy as I sold my 9800pro pro for £60.

Apparently they O/C like a dream - ill post my results as soon as it arrives...

Hopefully very very quickly as im having massive TG CSS withdrawl.

good for u i m gettin the same one its comin in on mon or tues.i must warn u u cant unlock the extra 4 pipes with the SAPPHIRE GTO agp.

im replaceing a 9800 xt is it a big difference?

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                              Delta MICS
                              Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse