Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to get some great new headphones...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to get some great new headphones...

My crappy-ass $15 radioshack POS's are starting to break here, and I'm well overdue for some GOOD headphones anyway. Now before anyone mentions it, I am sticking to headphones and will not just go over to a nice speaker setup.

I'll be using them for almost constant (around 10 hours or more a day) music listening, and gaming. So I don't want them to be flimsy and just break on me in the case that they somehow fall off my head or SOMETHING. Also I'm not really willing to have to put them in some protective case every time I'm done using them.

My budget is around $100, but I can probably scrape up a bit more in finances. The other thing is, I'm a big fan of normal headphones or those big ones, not earbuds or the ones that wrap around or the like. The commonplace, bulky, gaudy ones.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and on the technical aspect? I have no clue whatsoever what I'm looking for. If it helps, most of the use will be for rock/metal (ranging from industrial rock goodness the likes of which in my sig, to Necrophagist's brutal technical Death Metal sound) and some electronica.

Re: Need to get some great new headphones...

gets urself a Sennheiser 160. got a mic and great headphones

Comment

Most of the time I don't think I'd be using the mic for it... if it's detachable or if it can be moved to vertically align with the headband, I'd consider it. What other options do I have though?

Comment

Check into the Speed-Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones.
        http://www.upgradeadvisor.com/content/speedlink.aspx

I've read great reviews about them. I just bought a pair on eBay. I pretty sure the mic swings up inline with the headband and they are surround sound so games sound incredible. Good luck.

Comment

Check these out. They are real good and awesome if you got a good sound card.

http://sennheiser.factoryoutletstore...ser_PC155.html

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

The only thing I'd recommend is going around locally and trying out a few different brands. I bought some nice Sony's a few years ago from The Guitar Center on the recommendation of another customer. I was there to check out Senn's or Grado's, but the guy said he used the Sony's in his recording studio and refused to buy anything else. I checked em out and loved em.

I got over the ear headphones because they seal out the outside sounds a little better, but aren't designed as noise cancelling. Some folks don't like that style and prefer the earpad design that just kinda sits on your ears which is part of the reason why I suggest auditioning them locally. I was living with some pretty loud roommates at the time, and with the headphones on they could blast whatever music they wanted in the living room and I didn't have a clue what was going on. You really get immersed when wearing a nice set of 'phones.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Skullcrack
              Check into the Speed-Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones.
              http://www.upgradeadvisor.com/content/speedlink.aspx

I've read great reviews about them. I just bought a pair on eBay. I pretty sure the mic swings up inline with the headband and they are surround sound so games sound incredible. Good luck.

I own these and HIGHLY recommend them to anyone with the $.

For CS:S they are INCREDABLE....it's like having a wall hack if the enemy is running....the direction of the sound is so obvious.

i don't listen to metal, but the music i listen to sounds great!

Dirt013
              Dirt013

Comment

What where the Audio FX "Vibration Is Good" Headphones? If you go to www.csnation.net and click on that ad, those look GREAT for CS:S. I read the reviews and they were outstanding. I suggest you check them out. I will update this post with a link after i post it.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.csnation.net/articles.php/review_218/

It looks sweet!! :D.

Comment

After some experiance talkign to someone who's had a pair for a while, I went with these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...21558?v=glance

The guy I talked to mentioned his pair has gone through alot and still work fine, they're not gonna hurt my budget one bit, and we share similar music tastes- if it sounds good for him, it'll sound good for me too.

Thanks for your help, and if these become lost, or dog'd (stupid pitbull =/), or anything of the sort I'll check out those Speed-Links.

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
                    After some experiance talkign to someone who's had a pair for a while, I went with these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...21558?v=glance
                    Exact same ones that I was talking about :) I didn't mention models because headphones involve so much personal taste (and I wasn't sure they were still produced because mine are 4 years old), but I'm sure you don't be disappointed!
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

I prefer lightweight, and don't like ones that cup over my ear. Currently I've got a Logitech Gamer Extreme, but I don't like the back-of-the-head plastic, as the plastic chafes the top of my ears over extended sessions. I'd like separate ear buds and some kind of mic holder that's not too uncomfortable. I'd also like wireless, so I can turn around in my chair and not get tangled up, and so the cat doesn't have something to pull on while she's in my lap.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Ya, the behind the head ones. Thats what I use for my games, but i like to take them off between rounds becasue they hurt your ears after a while.

Comment

I got the Trust dolby headphones and i'm very pleased with them, good dolby sound and also good stereo sound. They are big, but i them that way.
                          Even better is the Price: 48 Euro !!!!

Comment

Sennheiser PC160 Pro-Gaming Headphones - very good as SilverStealth89 mentioned - if you can stretch i would recommend the Sennheiser PC165 Pro-Gaming USB Headphones - a friend of minw has a pair and they are amazing.
                            [defense]

Comment

Logitech USB 350. Right around $50 and for those of us that are still using on-board audio the on-board chip sounds better.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X