PC started rebooting... by itself?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC started rebooting... by itself?

I recently went from a Geforce 4200 to a 6600 GT and started playing some BF2. 2 times now, while playing BF2, my computer decides it needs to just.. restart.

I seriously doubt, even tho EA makes buggy games, that a buggy game would cause a reboot. But I dunno.

Any ideas?

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Re: PC started rebooting... by itself?

how much ram you running.....and do you have any case fans...could just be a problem with heat
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

768 megs of 800 mhz ram. I have game setting on medium for BF2. It runs fine most of the time, I get a crash to desktop every now and then but I hear a lot of that is going around. But straight up reboot I haven't heard much about.

I have 3 case fans going and 2 on PS (one in one out), a fan card next to the GPU. And according to my mobo temp reader is ok.

I am suspecting this might be a power supply issue but an not sure and would like to see if anyone experienced this as well.

"The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
      - Wulfyn

Comment

I'm betting it's a PS issue. I'd get a better power supply.

---

Comment

Yep, power supply.

I upgraded my monitor a while back and jacked up the resolution. Started to reboot a few times in the middle of BF2 then burst into flame. My dog was sleeping next to the computer at the time and caught fire too. Unfortunately Sparky didn't make it.

My wife was so disgusted that she left me and took my new truck.

All I did was up my resolution and my computer started rebooting!

Get a new power supply. Save yourself.

Comment

[email protected]^ sounds like a good country song.....
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Are you overclocking at all? Could yoyu give us all of your sytems specs? are you using the latest drivers on everything?

If you answered all of the above on the side of safety, I'd recommend turning down/off the lighting and shadows video options.

With all of that said, however, I too started getting crash to desktops (CTDs) two weeks ago - along with many other players, as told by the BF2 forums. After a week of CTDs, my computer moved on to full reboots just like you are experiencing. I tried every trick in the book to make it go away - and the thing that fixed it once and for all was moving everything to normal clock speeds and voltages.

I haven't had a single CTD - let alone reboot - since declocking. Whether it was overheating, PSU, or simply over-overclocking I don't know.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Random restarts are commonly caused by two things, insufficient power from the power supply, or bad ram. Since you just upgraded your video card somewhat significantly, I'm 90% positive you just need a bigger PSU.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Yea it's most likely a PSU issue...

But a quick question too, what OS are you running, and have you ever seen a Blue Screen of Death? It's possible that something else could be causing a blue screen but your computer is just set to reboot on that event, instead of showing it.
                  RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I doubt the 6600GT uses much more juice than a 4200 series, but I could be wrong. Video cards tend to get more efficient and use less power over time; the 6800 series used the same as the 9800 series (two different manufacturers, I know), and the 7800 series uses less than 6800 and so on.

There have been exceptions, such as the power hungry 5700/5900 series from nVidia, but the 6600GT certainly doesn't fall in that category.

What are your system specs, including PSU?
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                      I doubt the 6600GT uses much more juice than a 4200 series, but I could be wrong. Video cards tend to get more efficient and use less power over time; the 6800 series used the same as the 9800 series (two different manufacturers, I know), and the 7800 series uses less than 6800 and so on.

There have been exceptions, such as the power hungry 5700/5900 series from nVidia, but the 6600GT certainly doesn't fall in that category.

the old fx line cards used something like 25W under load, except the last two or three ultra cards in the series(5700, 5900 and 5950), which used 50W and 75W, or thereabouts. 6800GT's use 55W, and 6800Ultra's use close to 80W (all #'s game load, or max expected load) So, a jump from a 4200 (which, memory serving, was about a 25W card tops) to a 6600 line, which is somewhere in the 50W range, could very well over-stress a small power supply. Particularily if it's older, because the older PSU's are weaker in the 12V because they were designed for systems whose CPU's drew primarily from the 3.3/5V and not the 12V.

At any rate, it really depends on the specs of his PSU. For all we know, that 4200 was stressing it to the max to begin with.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                        the old fx line cards used something like 25W under load, except the last two or three ultra cards in the series(5700, 5900 and 5950), which used 50W and 75W, or thereabouts. 6800GT's use 55W, and 6800Ultra's use close to 80W (all #'s game load, or max expected load) So, a jump from a 4200 (which, memory serving, was about a 25W card tops) to a 6600 line, which is somewhere in the 50W range, could very well over-stress a small power supply. Particularily if it's older, because the older PSU's are weaker in the 12V because they were designed for systems whose CPU's drew primarily from the 3.3/5V and not the 12V.

At any rate, it really depends on the specs of his PSU. For all we know, that 4200 was stressing it to the max to begin with.
                        Touche.

Your point about the 12v rail is especially pertinent given the fact that he is moving from a 4200 card; his PSU may be as much as four years old.

Comment

Yep, its a power supply problem. Need more power.
                          XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

OK, I got a 500W with 36A on the 12v rail.. No reboots yet :)

- Wulfyn

Comment

LOL that'll work ;)

Which company?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X