glove vs glove

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glove vs glove

When i build my comp will a latex surgical glove do the same thing as a anti static glove?

Re: glove vs glove

Originally posted by SilverStealth89
    When i build my comp will a latex surgical glove do the same thing as a anti static glove?
    No, in fact latex creates static electricity.

When I build my computers, I simply make sure that I ground myself every now and then. To do this, I leave my computer plugged in with the PSU turned off. This ensures that the case is an earth ground but that no power is coming out of the PSU. Touch bare metal on the case every now and then to get rid of any static buildup that might occur.

If it's a dry day (touching doorknobs is painful), then you might want to take extra precautions, but normally, I wouldn't bother. Take care not to touch the leads or pins on any electronic componants and there shouldn't be a problem...

That said, ESD is nasty and you'll never know if you've killed something until you try to turn it on...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Keep a free hand touching the PSU whenever possible and you shouldn't have a problem. Just try to keep your contact with the components restricted to the edges as you install them for best effect.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Anti-static wristbands are pretty cheap. One end goes round your wrist, the other crocodile clips to the case/psu. Personally I don't bother but I have used them several times in labs and workshops.
        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Keep in mind that touching the case (or clipping an ESD wristband to the case) does nothing if you don't have a connection to ground. Make sure you leave your PSU plugged in, providing the earth ground to your PSU and your case!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X