CRT vs LCD - what do you prefer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRT vs LCD - what do you prefer?

I have searched this forum to find out what to get for xmas. I would like to be able to play BF2 at 1600x1200 and have it look good - haven't found anything yet. Step 1 was to get a 7800GT graphics card. Step 2 is upgrading from that crappy 17" Phillips LCD I borrowed from work.
    The Dell 2405FPW widescreen is really too expensive. Who wants to spend $800+? I would like a nice 20" screen, either a 22" CRT or 20" LCD (for real diagonal viewable space).
    What is a good monitor of that size that can display 1600x1200 without ghosting? I would like LCD, but if there is a good CRT I'd look at it (cheaper and better image quality).
    Has anyone compared LCDs and CRTs side by side? What is a good 20"+ CRT? What is the top-rated 20" LCD for gaming right now? What is a good website to read reviews?

Thanks!

Re: CRT vs LCD - what do you prefer?

I like my Trinitron CRTs, there are very few LCDs I can watch without getting headaches so I am kinda stuck unless I want to pay 1 grand or more for a nice 20+ inch LCD. I also see the rainbows on DLPs...

I like CRTS.

Az
    [age-c1][command]

Comment

Right now I am running a ViewSonic VA902b 19" Flat Screen LCD with 8ms response time. It runs great on 1280x1024 with my GeForce 6600. It cost me $300 and was worth every penny of it. So my suggestion for you would be to get a 20" or 22" Flat Screen LCD. Make sure and get one with a good response time, 8 ms like I have is really really good, don't settle for any less then 12.

Comment

I have a Dell 17" Ultrasharp 1703FP, it costed a pretty penny! ($374)
        XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
          I have searched this forum to find out what to get for xmas. I would like to be able to play BF2 at 1600x1200 and have it look good - haven't found anything yet. Step 1 was to get a 7800GT graphics card. Step 2 is upgrading from that crappy 17" Phillips LCD I borrowed from work.
          The Dell 2405FPW widescreen is really too expensive. Who wants to spend $800+? I would like a nice 20" screen, either a 22" CRT or 20" LCD (for real diagonal viewable space).
          What is a good monitor of that size that can display 1600x1200 without ghosting? I would like LCD, but if there is a good CRT I'd look at it (cheaper and better image quality).
          Has anyone compared LCDs and CRTs side by side? What is a good 20"+ CRT? What is the top-rated 20" LCD for gaming right now? What is a good website to read reviews?

Thanks!
          Well, for 1600x you're going to absolutely need a 20" LCD, 19 and 17" look horrible in anything other than 1280x. Quite frankly the only greatly recommended 20" right now is the 2005FPWS from dell, which you can get for a lot less than 800 on the right day. Usually you can pick one up for about $450 with fairly common coupons. CRT's will run you a lot cheaper, probably closer to $250. It really comes down to $$, desk space because a large CRT takes up a *ton* of room and eye strain. LCD's are easier on the eyes but tend to be waay brighter than CRT's.

For high-end, high resolution maximum FPS gaming, LCD's don't come close to a good CRT right now, but there are a few good ones that are deffinantly good enough.

For a good CRT i'd go with something like this:
          http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=510
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I game on both my widescreen notebook and on my 19" CRT. For gaming, I find them both very good. I do find that a widescreen feels more immersive, because of peripheral vision effects, despite the fact that the panel is actually smaller than the CRT. For general day-to-day use, I've come to love the LCD panel. More screen real estate and a sharper display (although my CRT, a Samsung 900NF, is very sharp). My next purchase will be a 2405W or equivalent.
            |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

LCD screens are really nice. They're easy on the eyes and don't really have problems with ghosting. My only concern is you're restricted to the native resolution unless you want to stretch the image to fit the screen. On my laptop, some games don't support widescreen so I'm stuck at 1024x768 because it's a maximum 1200x800. I get black edges. Your LCD's native resolution could be 1600x1200 but later on a game comes out that pushes your PC's limits. You may have to run at a lower resolution to keep the FPS up. You'll get black edges. On the other hand, a 21" CRT is going to be massive. It'll take up all your desktop space but you can run at different resolutions without worrying about image stretching or black edges.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

For the dollar, you're certainly going to get a better picture from a CRT. A LOT better.
                The only reason I would even consider an LCD is if there simply wasn't room on my desk for a CRT or if I was hauling my system around a lot... Those are the only two benefits that I would consider.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I current use my Viewsonic VX924 19in 3ms response time LCD. I love it. Its the worlds fastest and best LCD as of yet. I get no ghosting. Resolution max is 1280x1024 so that doesnt help ur 1600x issue but its a great monitor. Get it from the company and its like 499 but on newegg its like 300 some. Real cheap. Shipping is great. I wouldnt change it for anything. Im thinking about getting another one because ive see pictures and setups where bf2 supports dual screen. one would be the main first person view and the other is the map like commander mode so u dont have to block ur view with TAB all the time. When talkinga bout LCDs you need to worry about Ghosting and the contrast ration. 500:1 is the best. 600:1 is okay. But if you dont want to worry about that kind of stuff go with a CRT.No lag and 0 response time. But the bigger the heavier it is. Which is where LCDs are great.

Comment

I would love to get rid of my CRT monitor, It's a decent size but I cant quite afford an LCD of similar Size and stats.

I wish they'd make some decent priced, good quality television monitors I could replace my current monitor with... I can't fit a TV into my bedroom right now and it'd be nice to have that option in addition to getting rid of my giant CRT monitor.
                    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I run a ViewSonic FlatScreen (not flatpanel) 22" CRT and an AOC 19" CRT.

Picture of setup.

The Viewsonic was around $420 or so: Worth..every..penny.

The resolution is insane and the picture quality holds at maximum resolution. I hear people talk about LCDs getting to the quality of CRTs, but I just don't see it. I stick with CRTs for my primary monitor. LCDs make good backups.

Comment

^^^^^^Fenix I have a version simlar case and that is a sweet setup.
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

If you cant afford the DELL Ultrasharp 2405FPW LCD - have a look at....

DELL Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor
                          1680 x 1050 (WUXGA) Optimum Resolution
                          - 16.7 Million Colours
                          - 600:1 Contrast Ratio
                          - 16ms Response Time
                          - 300 cd/m2 Brightness
                          - One DVI-D Input
                          - One Analogue Input
                          - One S-Video Input
                          - One Composite Input
                          - Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
                          - VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
                          - Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports

or

Apple 20" Cinema Widescreen LCD Monitor
                          - 1680 x 1050 Optimum Resolution
                          - 400:1 Contrast Ratio
                          - Viewing Angle 170 horizontal, 170 vertical
                          - 16ms Response Time
                          - 270 cd/m2 Brightness
                          - One DVI-D Input
                          - DVI (Digital Visual Interface)
                          - DVI Cable Included
                          - Two-port, self-powered USB 2.0 hub
                          - Two FireWire 400 ports

or

DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP 20.1" Performance LCD Monitor
                          - 1600 x 1200 (UXGA) Optimum Resolution
                          - 16.7 Million Colours
                          - 400:1 Contrast Ratio
                          - 16ms Response Time
                          - 250 cd/m2 Brightness
                          - One DVI-D Input
                          - One Analogue Input
                          - One S-Video Input
                          - One Composite Input
                          - Height adjustable stand (130mm travel)
                          - VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
                          - Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
                          - Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer

Its always difficult to find LCD's which cope with high Res at a decent price - i personally would go for a cheaper CRT which can support High Res, would be quite a bit cheaper.

Check out the....

Viewsonic G810 22" CRT - my flatmate has one and BF2 & Fear looks amazing on this at 1600X1200 - they are pretty cheap 2.
                          [defense]

Comment

Someone on craigslist is selling a Sony 24" Widescreen Monitor - GDM-FW900 - $400 24" CRT! It weighs half a ton (93lb). But only $400. It has a real viewing area of 22.5" The reviews and everything are from 2001, so it would be around 4 years old. Don't CRTs become less bright as they age?

The 2005FPW has only 1000 pixels height - I'd rather get their 1600x1200. But that has only 16ms refresh time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                              I would love to get rid of my CRT monitor, It's a decent size but I cant quite afford an LCD of similar Size and stats.

I wish they'd make some decent priced, good quality television monitors I could replace my current monitor with... I can't fit a TV into my bedroom right now and it'd be nice to have that option in addition to getting rid of my giant CRT monitor.
                              I replaced my 21" Trinitron with a Dell 2001FP earlier this year. With both monitors, I've used my TV tuner. I keep the TV in a window (mainly for the noise) when I'm at the computer most of the time, and put it to fullscreen when I'm going to sleep. Remote turns off the computer. Before I had the 21" CRT, I had a little 13" TV, so that was a nice step up!

This monitor has a S-Video and composite input if I wanted to hook up a digital cable box or whatever. The only downside would be figuring out how to deal with the sound. I just have normal cable so it's not an issue for me.

I love this 2001FP, couldn't be happier. I don't notice any ghosting when playing BF2. Just wish I had the video card power to run it at 1600x1200.
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed