Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer problems, please help a gamer in need!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problems, please help a gamer in need!

So we have 2 computers in the house, one for gamming, one for work, the gamming one has been out of order for a month now because of problems and I cant get a hold of the "computer guy" to come help me. This gamming computer used to be our one and only computer, but after some hard drive problems we sent it in to this "computer guy" to get it fixed, upgraded, and to get a new computer built for work. This "computer guy" was able to keep most of the information on the old hard drive but you could only access the information and transfer it over to the other hard drives, if you put information onto it would screw the whole thing up as he put it. This old hard drive has a lot of music and movies from our filming company, so I didnít want him to clean it.

When we finally got him to help me put in the old hard drive, as there wasnít an extra power cable for the it, so he took a power cable from the mother board and plugged it into the old hard drive, he said it was ok because it was one of 2 power cables going into the mother board and it wouldnít mess anything up.

Ok, so to the problem: After the old hard drive will all the information was put in, and had power to it (it would become the slave via the little pin placement in the back) the new one(the one that came with the improved gamming computer) with all the new information was the master, I powered it on and it would stall, it would just go to the very first black and white screen which identifies your hard drives and such. Into the BIOS I go and try to see whatís wrong, there were a whole slew of possible hard drive spaces, so I was very confused s I have never seen so many before. So I go to turn it on a few days after I had disconnected the old hard drive and reconnected cables to match when the computer was working, and it stalls up in a different place with a message at the bottom that reads: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...P-DSC00051.jpg
    DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG IN THE BIOS?

Please help me as I havenít gamed in a while and am getting the urge to be ordered around by root, and drive some jeeps in BF2.
    Thanks for your time, even if you cant help.

Re: Computer problems, please help a gamer in need!

Originally posted by Lt.Snow
    DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG IN THE BIOS?
    Yes... if you look at the top of the screenshot, it does not show any drives installed. For some reason your harddrives are not being detected.

Go to the portion of your BIOS where you found "a whole slew of possible hard drive spaces" and see if there is an auto setting. There may also be a detect utility in the BIOS. Once you get your BIOS to automatically detect the drives, they should appear in the place in the top of your screen shot where it says Pri. Master Disk : None
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

just set your bios to auto select those drives....that should fix it
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

It's not detecting your drives, so it might not be the bios, the dude might've just biffed the cable connections. I'd check the jumper settings on the HDD's, and then make sure that the IDE/SATA cables are connected properly (and hopefully be put them on two seperate lines, because I've never had 2 HDD's master/slaved work 100% correctly) and that the power plugs are snug. The last time I had this problem it was because a power cord was loose.

On a guess, since it detects his secondary master CD-rom, the guy put both HDD's on IDE1, and either that cable isn't plugged in properly, or the jumpers are wrong and the mobo is getting all confused. I very, very much doubt the bios settings are wrong. My guess is that the IDE cable isn't plugged in.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

dont you just love "computer guys" who give you a line of crap...not to high jack the thread ive got a story about such a CG.....

He actually told my mom that when she buys new RAM they would need to format it and install the nessessary drivers to make it work......i went back and got the guy fired......ID10T......and back to your thread....

just do what we have posted and it should fix it....
          -Vulcan

Comment

Well I just have the new hard drive pluged in as I just want to play some games tonnight. This is what my BOIS screen and what it looks like when it stalls, I have everything on auto, I have never seen this Drive A and Drive B thing before.
            http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...413/CROP-2.jpg

and what it looks like when it stalls, doesnt proceed.
            http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...413/CROP-1.jpg

Comment

is the OS installed on atleast one of them....cuase if not that would cuase this problem too
              -Vulcan

Comment

Yes, on the new one (the one pluged in), I have played games on it for a month till this happened.
                I also have a cable for the hard drives that has 2 connectors on it, one in the middle, and one at the end for plugging 2 hard drives into, I have the single hard drive pluged into the end connector, should I have it pluged into the first (middle) one or will this make no difference?

Comment

hmmm...what do you have the first boot disk set too.....make sure its set to the master HD for now.....try that
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                    hmmm...what do you have the first boot disk set too.....make sure its set to the master HD for now.....try that
                    If by that you mean boot priority, the hard drive boots first.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...413/CROP-3.jpg
                    this has changed in my bios, before it just used to be #2 now #1 is there.

Im not very technically inclined.

Comment

yah sorry...yah make sure it is on your first HD....

do you have the INstall disks for your windows version
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        do you have the INstall disks for your windows version

OK , I cant find it at the moment, do I need it realy bad??

Comment

im not really sure...i still havent quite figured out your problem i was just going to suggest putting it in and letting it boot from the CD....
                          -Vulcan

Comment

The screen where it stalls is still the same, but there is no Sec. Slave Disk. I have never seen that Diskette Drive A & B before, what are thoes for?

Thanks for your help, I will keep looking for that CD, and will boot from it unless you have another idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Snow
                              The screen where it stalls is still the same, but there is no Sec. Slave Disk. I have never seen that Diskette Drive A & B before, what are thoes for?

Thanks for your help, I will keep looking for that CD, and will boot from it unless you have another idea.
                              Diskette A and B are for floppy drives.

It seems like either the Master Boot record is screwed up on the drive or maybe the cable isn't plugged in all the way. The stall screen shows that it is hit the drive but then things get corrupted. and it doesn't know what to do. If it couldn't boot it would come back and tell you to enter a system disk. I think you will boot to a Cd just fine. Open the case and make sure that the ATA cables are plugged in tight to the drive.

To restore the MBR, you need to do a repare boot. If you need help on how just ask.

Kemo
                              Kemotaha

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...