Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux help again?...!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux help again?...!

    Okay im in the mind set to completely get away from windows. Not sure why but i wanna do it...i guess for the fact that i can do the same things on linux but cheaper and free. My first obstical is i program in VB.net religiously, ive done some looking but i cant find any programms that can program in vb.net...ive found some for C# but i dont really wanna do that right now, i do know how to program in it..ive just got some projects already going in VB.net....

    1. would the VB.net package run in WINE.
    2. are there any programs i could use that are VB.net.
    3. Why must microsoft suck all the fun out of computing?


    let me know...your help would be greatly appericated
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

  • #2
    Re: Linux help again?...!

    Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
    Okay im in the mind set to completely get away from windows. Not sure why but i wanna do it...i guess for the fact that i can do the same things on linux but cheaper and free. My first obstical is i program in VB.net religiously, ive done some looking but i cant find any programms that can program in vb.net...ive found some for C# but i dont really wanna do that right now, i do know how to program in it..ive just got some projects already going in VB.net....

    1. would the VB.net package run in WINE.
    2. are there any programs i could use that are VB.net.
    3. Why must microsoft suck all the fun out of computing?


    let me know...your help would be greatly appericated
    I'm of the same mind. I'm buying a new PC, and that's going to be a linux box only. I've already bought into Cedega, have a core of games that will run on it. so I'll be all set.

    Now to your questions:
    1. VB.net should run via MONO, not WINE.
    2. Don't know. Never looked. What's so special about VB.net that Mono and Python cannot cover?
    3. Because they can?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Linux help again?...!

      well i dont know mono or python....maybe python is something i should look in too doing.....and maybe mono.....what games do you ahve that will run on your new linux box....ive got BF2 and AA and DOD.s that i want to be able to run....anything else i dont care right now and can use a emulator if needed...
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Linux help again?...!

        Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
        well i dont know mono or python....maybe python is something i should look in too doing.....and maybe mono.....what games do you ahve that will run on your new linux box....ive got BF2 and AA and DOD.s that i want to be able to run....anything else i dont care right now and can use a emulator if needed...
        OK, stuff I know works:

        America's Army (native)
        Neverwinter Nights (native)
        Doom 3 (native)
        UT2004 (native)

        Works via WINE or Cedega:
        CounterStrike Source
        World of Warcraft
        STEAM (all games)

        Battlefield 2 does not work in multiplayer yet: there is a problem with the way punkbuster works with that game that the boys at Transgaming haven't fixed yet. Probably be January before it will run fully.

        Once it does, that's the end of my windows partition. :D

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Linux help again?...!

          okay sweet..im going ot atleast try it out on my other less expensive PC....
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Linux help again?...!

            okay next question is it possible to run a linux partiion on a IDE raid drive..cuase if so i might try and dual boot my system i have now....
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Linux help again?...!

              Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              okay next question is it possible to run a linux partiion on a IDE raid drive..cuase if so i might try and dual boot my system i have now....
              Which linux are you going to use?

              Each distro has a different method of partitioning, which is why I ask. Slackware for example, uses cfdisk. This app allows you to set up partitions, but not resize them. Fdisk is also available, I think, but is even less user friendly.

              Mandrake, Fedora, Suse all have the ability to resize the partitions.

              Mepis, Knoppix, and Kanotix are the safest way, outside of Partition Magic. All three have QTParted, a front end to parted that allows you to slice and dice your partition table however you like.

              I have never had a corrupted XP partition from using these three live CDs, so I'd go with those.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Linux help again?...!

                yah i figured that was the case...the reason i asked that question cuase i thought one of my monitors went out....but it dint....so nm...thx for the info tho


                to bad i dint have tactical OS to use.....lol
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Linux help again?...!

                  Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                  to bad i dint have tactical OS to use.....lol
                  I've got an alpha I'm putting together that I'm going to ship Phantom and CingularDuality in the next few weeks (sometime before xmas). I can ship it to you as well.

                  It will not have KDE, and will not be as up to date as I want the beta to be...2 issues:

                  First KDE 3.5 is only a release candidate, but is worth waiting for.

                  Second, unionFS has a serious bug, so every live CD that I can potentially remaster for Tac-OS is on hold, again. :row__684:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Linux help again?...!

                    lol no its fine i was just cuaseing problems..you should probably just let the people who know how to use linux should debug...ill just mess it up
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Linux help again?...!

                      Grab the mono live CD, that will let you see how good VB.NET is in mono, I know they support C#.

                      Az
                      [age-c1][command]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Linux help again?...!

                        Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        okay next question is it possible to run a linux partiion on a IDE raid drive..cuase if so i might try and dual boot my system i have now....
                        RAID can be a PITA, especially if you're trying to share it with Windows. I hang out on the Gentoo AMD64 channel sometimes, and I've seen them tell people to ditch Windows and go to a purely Linux managed method. If you're not used Linux before, I think you'd be in for helluva time. Don't know much more about it, but for your first time trying Linux it's probably best to keep it simple.
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Linux help again?...!

                          Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                          okay next question is it possible to run a linux partiion on a IDE raid drive..cuase if so i might try and dual boot my system i have now....
                          Yes, as long as the Linux distro can support the motherboard hardware. That depends on whether the drivers for the IDE controllers are available. If so, then the next question is whether to use Linux to handle the dual booting. If your motherboard hardware isnt supported, it is possible to purchase an IDE PCI card and attach drives to that. My server is setup that way with two 120GB drives in a software RAID configuration using SUSE Linux.
                          -33rd- BaneII
                          Smokers & Jokers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Linux help again?...!

                            The latest kernels support SATA pretty well.

                            Quake 4 has a native Linux client.

                            I'd be uneasy about dual-boot on RAID but test it with the installer for the distro you choose.

                            You can also try a Live distro first to see how it handles your hardware.

                            I started to collect some stuff about Linux running from a USB key here: http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thr...threadid=10932
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

                            snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

                            Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Linux help again?...!

                              okay i got it up and running looks ...... neat......are there any RMD programms that i can remote desktop to my linux box graphicly....from my windows machine....
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X