Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eMachines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • eMachines

    If you or someone you personally know has personally owned an eMachines machine (I'm considering a desktop, but whatever), I'd like to hear about two things:

    1) stock system reliability
    2) customer service usability

    It's time for my mother to upgrade. No concerns about bells and whistles, no need for the fastest thing out, no need to upgrade hardware. The occaisional need to talk to a tech.

    I just need to know how the systems perform as they come, and I need to know how effective customer care is when it comes to solving concerns their customers have.

    I don't want your input unless you've owned an eMachines machine personally or personally know someone who has themselves.

    Thank you.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

    Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

  • #2
    Re: eMachines

    Originally posted by Wyzcrak
    If you or someone you personally know has personally owned an eMachines machine (I'm considering a desktop, but whatever), I'd like to hear about two things:

    1) stock system reliability
    2) customer service usability

    It's time for my mother to upgrade. No concerns about bells and whistles, no need for the fastest thing out, no need to upgrade hardware. The occaisional need to talk to a tech.

    I just need to know how the systems perform as they come, and I need to know how effective customer care is when it comes to solving concerns their customers have.

    I don't want your input unless you've owned an eMachines machine personally or personally know someone who has themselves.

    Thank you.
    I'm buying one tomorrow, the 6524. Consumer Reports gave its junior, the 3302, it's highest rating on reliability, features, etc. They didn't say much about service, but it's all Gateway now, I assume tech support is ok.

    Everyone that I talked to about them said they were rock solid, better than Dell in terms of reliability.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: eMachines

      I have an Emachines "Monster 550" beside me.

      Hate the thing with a passion. Only reason I bought it was I needed a computer for doing work at home and needed to buy it where I could get credit (Future shop).

      Two things I hated about it.

      First... No upgradeability. It has a uniqe mobo which is not readily replaced.

      Second... Recovery disk... It does not come with seperate wondows and drivers disks.

      Never needed to use customer support..


      Also an important thing to consider is when I bought the computer a 550 was a moderatly high end computer. So it is very aged and is now just a toy for my 7 year old niece.

      But I have vowed to never buy another. From now on out I will support a local computer retailer that does nothing but computers and can do all my tech support and purchases face to face.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: eMachines

        I own an eMachines. I bought it about 3 months ago. The quality of their products has improved dramatically over the last couple of years. They are now owned by Gateway, which has bought the company more resources and process improvments. The two brands share many components, but the eMachines are marketed as the 'entry level' units.

        I've been inside the case a few times, and everything is well laid out and easily accessible. My box has a PCI-e slot, and is happy with my new graphics card. I've upgraded RAM and the sound card as well -- everything was off-the-shelf standard components purchased from Best Buy.

        The case looks great, and many of the newer models have card readers (for digital camera memory cards) built in. Lots of USB ports (3 in front, 4 in back) make hooking up peripherals very simple.

        I'm very happy with my purchase. Out of the box, it was a very strong base for expansion to suit my needs. Cheap, too!

        (I haven't used customer service.)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: eMachines

          The real Beth, and her entire family owns emachines comps, 5 total.(best buy, comp-usa, or circuit city, i forgot) They got them for x-mas last year and got an 8 month warranty. As soon as the warranty expired a message popped up to upgrade the warranty, they figured, nah we don't need that we have Tyrus(Me) to do all the fixing. Within a 3 weeks time all 5 computers experienced boot problems. The problem was at ther system BIOS screen a message popped up that there was a floppy disk in the drive, (none of the computers have floppy drives), now, when you restart the comp you have to continually press f4 on startup or it will give you that message, and you have to press the reset button and try again. I also had to reforamt 2 of the comps because windows data was corrupted. Other than that they work fine, except for the temporary loss of recognission of the ethernet card.

          The customer support is crap once the warranty runs out too, they want to lock your credit card number, and then charge $1/minute for tech support.

          I have had nothing but problems with those darn comps.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: eMachines

            My mother in law had a lot of problems with her e-machine, but she didn't really know how to take care of it, so it probably was her and not the machine.

            I have heard mixxed reviews of dell systems. I've seen a lot of wierd issues on dell systems (I work for their Business Tech support department). I personally own a Optiplex GX280 and havent had 1 technical problem. I didn't have a good expierance with their Sales department though, they are just idiots.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: eMachines

              My mother has two eMachines PCs at her business. One has been running smoothly for a few years. The other one had problems out of the box and she said that their customer service was horrible. She did get them to agree to replace it after a few weeks of pestering them over the phone...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: eMachines

                Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                I'm buying one tomorrow, the 6524. Consumer Reports gave its junior, the 3302, it's highest rating on reliability, features, etc. They didn't say much about service, but it's all Gateway now, I assume tech support is ok.
                Gateways customer support is crap, but their machines are better.
                Dell's machines are crap (the only way they can afford to sell stuff so low ftmp) but their Customer service is better.

                Your call.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: eMachines

                  Originally posted by Spyder
                  Gateways customer support is crap, but their machines are better.
                  Dell's machines are crap (the only way they can afford to sell stuff so low ftmp) but their Customer service is better.

                  Your call.
                  Well, since I'm my customer support, what do you think my choice would be?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: eMachines

                    Well, if you're buying for yourself, The answer I would always give to that question would be: Build it Yourself.

                    However, if it's for a relative, or an office machine, or something of that nature, I'd say it depends on how much work you wnat to do., If you don't mind working on it if it breaks, go with the emachine. If you want to wash your hands of it and whoever it's for, buy the dell, but you will end up calling Malaysia atleast once if you do ;) (Dell's CS center is currently located in malaysia)
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: eMachines

                      Originally posted by Spyder
                      Well, if you're buying for yourself, The answer I would always give to that question would be: Build it Yourself.

                      However, if it's for a relative, or an office machine, or something of that nature, I'd say it depends on how much work you wnat to do., If you don't mind working on it if it breaks, go with the emachine. If you want to wash your hands of it and whoever it's for, buy the dell, but you will end up calling Malaysia atleast once if you do ;) (Dell's CS center is currently located in malaysia)
                      I've been tweaking a Compaq for 3 years. Nothing wrong with the system, it's just old at this point. It's going hand-me-down to my wife's aunt, who just needs something basic for emailing.

                      The problem is, I've priced the components out, and there is no way that builing my own even comes close to the price of an emachines: by the time I get the AMD64 3500+, 200GB Sata drive, 1gb PC3200 RAM, case, power supply, I'm way over the $599 the machine costs at Best Buy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: eMachines

                        Ok, came home from Best Buy, not with the system that I originally wanted, but the 6211 instead. Comes with a 15" LCD, which for you lot is probably small, but for me, it's perfect.

                        That and a PNY Nvidia 6000GT ran me $885 all in.

                        That said, the system is fast, responsive, and full of OEM crap. Once all that was removed, it was even better. Look forward to gaming on it.

                        One note: the inside of the case is CLEAN. Not a stray wire, power cable, or anything, anywhere. I haven't seen a case that well laid out outside Alienware.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: eMachines

                          Mine that I'm on RIGHT NOW is nothing but bad news, that's all I have to say.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: eMachines

                            Of course buying a boxed computer from someone like Emachine is going to be cheaper than building your own. But building your own you have control over the quality of the parts you put in your case.
                            Generally speaking you are going to be looking at better quality parts than a manufacturer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: eMachines

                              Originally posted by Toshido
                              Of course buying a boxed computer from someone like Emachine is going to be cheaper than building your own. But building your own you have control over the quality of the parts you put in your case.
                              Generally speaking you are going to be looking at better quality parts than a manufacturer.
                              Right. The question is, are they "good enough"?
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X