Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will more RAM give better BF2 performance than less, dual channel RAM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will more RAM give better BF2 performance than less, dual channel RAM?

I've been running into some framerate issues lately, and with BF2 going up to ~650 megs in the process menu, I think that's pushing my 1 gig of RAM. First, here are my relevant specs:

AMD 2600+, 400 mhz FSB
    1 gig (2 x 512) DDR 333, dual channel to saturate the FSB
    ATI 9800 Pro, 256 meg memory

I run my game at 1024x768, since the LCD TV I run it on is widescreen (1366x768). Running at 800x600 on my old monitor with a ATI All in Wonder 9700 Pro gave me no hiccups and let me even run 4x AA. With this card I have a few settings on med, the rest on low and only average ~25-30 fps.

My question is this: If I get another stick of 512 (333), will that improve my performance, given that all 3 sticks will be limited to 333? It's only 40 bucks for this, but I definitely can't afford to blow even that much on something that won't give me some lift in performance in BF2/BF2 SF. Thanks.
    Beatnik

Re: Will more RAM give better BF2 performance than less, dual channel RAM?

Originally posted by Beatnik
    My question is this: If I get another stick of 512 (333), will that improve my performance, given that all 3 sticks will be limited to 333? It's only 40 bucks for this, but I definitely can't afford to blow even that much on something that won't give me some lift in performance in BF2/BF2 SF. Thanks.
    My guess is no. Because of the disruption of the dual channel operation, you may even lose performance.

My suggestion would be to lower detail settings, and definately lower/disable your antialiasing settings if it is enabled at all.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

You don't think 1.5gigs is better than 1gig, at the same speed? I don't think dual channel can overcome that big of a difference.

I think loading time would decrease, maybe less stuttering, but I doubt you'd get a 10FPS jump or something. I jumped from 1 to 1.5gig (dual channel with both) and noticed a difference in BF2.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

Ok I have a question that's in this line so I'll give it a shot. I have the same problems as Beatnik. I have a 2.4c 800 FB, 1gig ram 400mhz, radeon sapphire atlantis 256mb vid card and I have everything turned to low and I'm barely getting 50 fps on a good day mostly 40-45fps. I have a AMD atlon 64 3400+ but it's the 754 socket. would increasing ram to 2gigs and going to the amd chip make a significant increase in overall performance or should I just increase ram. Any opinions would be appreciated
        sigpic

Comment

Cool thx for the replies. I've got another issue (I went and bought a stick - can always return it if it doesn't improve stuff) that I'll address in a new post. Thanks.
          Beatnik

Comment

3 sticks would mean you'd split your memory between dual-channel and single-channel. How that affects performance depends on how the OS lays out itself and an app. Ideally the most-frequently-used code and data would go in the dual-channel, but I have no idea how Windows decides what to put where.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Beatnik,
              I have 2 gig PC 4200, I noticed the difference upgrading from 1 gig to 2 gig. My computer is not as sluggish as it was being able to minimize BF2 and open something else, and plus i am able to max out the video settings.
              XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

normaly dual channel setups need to have ram fitting in pairs, or, it needs the two channels to be the same size.

ie Channel 1 with 1gig in it
                channel 2 with 2x512mb in it

im thinking the computer will either be unstable, or back down to single channel mode.. which isnt too much of a loss on a XP system.
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                  or back down to single channel mode.. which isnt too much of a loss on a XP system.
                  I think that's his question. Which is faster:

A gig (2x512) in dual channel

or

a gig and a half (3x512) in single channel
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

well for the games that need that 1.5gig then yeah, they will be faster even with the slower ram speed

the ones that dont need that 1.5gig will perform slower but i doubt it will be noticable
                    From Adam Webb

Comment

i think more ram is better than less of the faster ram if you weigh up the pros and cons

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
                        i think more ram is better than less of the faster ram if you weigh up the pros and cons
                        Ditto.
                        -33rd- BaneII
                        Smokers & Jokers

Comment

http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles....howarticle=128

That article compares the same RAM (2x512) running in single channel and dual channel modes. The conclusion is that outside of synthetic benchmarks dual does not provide a clear advantage over single. In some cases it even harmed performance.

So given the above, more ram in single mode would most likely be more beneficial than less in a dual channel configuration.
                          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X