Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to change CPU clock speed without entering BIOS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to change CPU clock speed without entering BIOS?

Ok - one more question, following up on my performance post about RAM. After buying and installing some new RAM, it isn't showing up in my General tab under System Properties. I also noticed that my CPU is severely underclocked for some reason(!!).

So I try to go into BIOS. The only problem is that I use a LCDTV as my monitor, and for whatever asinine reason it won't display until Windows starts.

Is there a way to reset my @#^*(& CPU clock and RAM (turning off dual channel, I assume) settings in Windows?? I doubt it, and will most likely just buy a cheap cheap monitor on craigslist, but figured it was worth asking at least... :icon_mad:
    Beatnik

Re: Any way to change CPU clock speed without entering BIOS?

I use rmclock to dynamically change my amd64's clock rate. Much better than cool'n'quiet. But I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Your monitor not working in text mode sounds like an issue you should fix. Does it only affect the bios screen or any text type screen?

Comment

Not sure. It's a 32" Proview LCD TV, and this 'Auto-Sync' window pops up whenever it switches modes (one pops up after post saying 640x480, then another when windows comes up saying '1024x768'). I'll get a flash of the BIOS screen, then the screen goes dark and says "VGA O mhz" meaning it's not getting an acceptable signal. Very frustrating.

Yeah somehow the clock rate got turned WAY down. I just need to get it back to stock settings, then figure out how to get my additional RAM recognized.

It's no wonder I've been getting craptacular framerates, with my CPU only running at 1.25 Gigahertz... :icon15:
      Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
        Not sure. It's a 32" Proview LCD TV, and this 'Auto-Sync' window pops up whenever it switches modes (one pops up after post saying 640x480, then another when windows comes up saying '1024x768'). I'll get a flash of the BIOS screen, then the screen goes dark and says "VGA O mhz" meaning it's not getting an acceptable signal. Very frustrating.

Yeah somehow the clock rate got turned WAY down. I just need to get it back to stock settings, then figure out how to get my additional RAM recognized.

It's no wonder I've been getting craptacular framerates, with my CPU only running at 1.25 Gigahertz... :icon15:

I had similar problem with my computer. I installed additional RAM and computer slowed down to 1/3 of the speed. It turned out that I moved cooler a bit from my Inter CPU when I was installing RAM and it was overheating and slowing down. I do not know about AMD CPU’s but Intel will slow down when overheated.
        |TG|Bodark
        96th Assault Group

Comment

Im not sure im reading your post correctly, but here is and Overclocking (or getting up to speed) program: www.cpuid.com and then go to ClockGen and download the correct one that corosponds to your motherboard. you can change the speed of ram too.

Comment

Ok looks like Mr. Smarty Pants here didn't seat the RAM correctly. I swore I heard 2 clicks...

But this CPU clock thing is still an issue. I've booted up 4 times, 2 of which were in some 'reduced speed' (1.25 Ghz) mode, 2 of which were in normal (2.06 Ghz) mode. The thot plickens...

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll try out cpuid and see if that helps...
            Beatnik

Comment

ClockGen is supposed to be able to change the BIOS settings to change the speed of ram and lots of other stuff. It is powered by sliders that change the speeds, but be careful how far you slide them. I froze up my system by sliding them too far, causing it to try to run too fast and it crashed on me.

Comment

Yes, go to cpuid.com and get cpu-id and clock gen. Also get rmclock. After you set your CPU speed with clockgen (cpu-id is a great speed viewing program) you can run rmclock. set the p-states to default and let rmclock determine your clock based on your system load.
                You may want to set your system to some kind of default setting in the BIOS. Check out craigslist for a cheap second monitor for $10 or so... People try to get rid of their old 17" CRTs (I do). Use that for the BIOS and for viewing teamspeak while playing....

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the input guys. I'm all squared away! :)
                  Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X