win2k defrag questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k defrag questions

I've just defragged my C drive, and after completion, my drive is still severely fragmented. This is the analysis AFTER defrag has run.

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 19 %
    File fragmentation = 38 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %
    Not what I'd call complete. I always used to get 0% for all of the above. Why is my drive no longer getting defragged properly?

I'm using NTFS and I've got file indexing running - are they the cause of the problem?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: win2k defrag questions

You should disable as many background processes as possible (including indexing) when defragging. I don't know how effective defragging the boot partition can be, given that a lot of the files will be in use and one won't be able to move those. This is one advantage to having a small second boot partition just for defragging your primary.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Sounds like you got a fragged system, which can't be defragged while your running it. I recommend what monkey suggested.

- -

Comment

raxco perfectdisk has worked well for me

Comment

Diskeeper i swear by it.
          [defense]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server