Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speed for a LCD-screen

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace my 17"CRT for a new LCD screen, but I was just wondering which refreshspeed would be the mininum I should get.

I've found a nice 19"-er with a refresh of 8ms, but is this enough to ensure me of playing a game (like BF2) without the monitor being the bottleneck for my system.

Hope someone can give me some pointers on this won.

P.S. if there's anything else I should watch out for when looking for a LCD, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marco
    Pommetje

Re: Which speed for a LCD-screen

A response time of 8ms is extremely fast for an LCD. You shouldn't have any problems with that rate. I believe my Dell (Samsung) is around 25ms and I have no effects of ghosting or any other problems playing games.

Another thing to look at is the contrast ratio. You'll see something like 800:1. The higher the ratio, the better.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

You might get more answers in the Hardware/Software forum.

I think you should definitely look at the monitors in a store if possible. Most LCD monitors should be fine these days with ghosting.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Response time is a joke number. Different companies measure it in different ways. Some measure the time it takes a pixel to go from black to white and back again, some only measure rise or fall times, and others do it whatever way they choose. You're much much much better off choosing a monitor based on price, size, and native resolution, since specs like contrast and response time are basically bunk and almost all LCDs have no ghosting that's noticeable in games anyways.

Comment

Yea, my Viewsonic Vp912b has a 12ms response time and I've never seen anything like ghosting.

Comment

anything less than 15ms is fine.
            |TG| aschmack

Comment

Anything less than 16ms from a good, reputable company is fine. There is no standard for what response time refers to, so companies will skew that number. Samsung, Dell, Viewsonic all make great LCD monitors with "truer" response time values. As for contrast ratio, you don't need 800:1, and in fact most gaming LCD's won't give you that. You "need" probably atleast 400 or 500:1. If you have a question about an LCD, the best thing to do is try and see one in person. Alot of it will have to do with individual preference insofar as how they look.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

All I can say is that different people view things differently. The only real way to tell is by playing some games on the monitor and seeing if you like it. So I'd suggest buying from some place that makes it easy to return the monitor if you don't like it.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

This will help me to look for the monitor I want.

Sorry about the post being in the wrong section, never found the H&S-forum, so posting it in the Tech-support of BF2 seemed like the right place.

Now for the hard part......deciding which one..... :row__587:

Marco
                  Pommetje

Comment

The monitor will never "Bottleneck" the system.

However on some monitors you may see blurring (ghosting)..

You will need to see it in person, but anything 16ms and under should be fine.

However some monitors that are 16ms ghost just as much as 25ms monitors, hence you need to see them in person.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is the screen type of the LCD since this wil be the biggest factor in how response time is percieved since it's not always what you would expect - S-IPS, TN-film, and PVA/MVA.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...0405/page2.asp

Depending on the type of LCD panel, there can be large differences in the pixel refresh depending on whether it’s going from black to white, or rom gray to gray. It can actually be slower to transition from black to gray than it is to go from black to white for some panels. That can be a bit counter-intuitive.

What this means for you is that a 25 ms S-IPS LCD panel works as fast as a 16 ms “TN-film” based LCD technology for the wide range of black to light gray. Only when a pixel is going from pure black to pure white is the TN-film actually faster. So in nearly every real-world application including first person shooters, the difference in smearing will be minimal. On the other hand, a PVA or MVA monitor that may be advertised as doing 25 ms when going from black to white may very well need 80 ms to transition from black to dark gray!

Speed isn’t everything. IPS panels typically offer better viewing angles with more accurate color, however contrast is poorer. TN-Film technology (the 8, 12 and 16 ms) panels only display 18-bit color. PVA/MVA panels on the other hand are famed for deep black levels and superb contrast ratios that typically come the expense of speed.
                      Hope that helps.

Comment

I see alot of good reviews for the Dell 19 incher. Not a bad price either. I'm not shure of the response time though but i seem to remember that it's 12ms or lower.

---

Comment

I see a vast amount of Dell 24" widescreens on sale on e-bay lately. I'm seriously contemplating buying one but I'm glad I found this thread. Can any of you technically experienced, knowledgeable peeps in here give me your take on these monitors?

ASUS A8V-E Deluxe
                          AMD 3500 Venice
                          2gigs Corsair XMS pc3200 unbuffered stuff :)
                          BFG 7800GtOC
                          and all that other junk...

Any advice on these monitors would be greatly appreciated, TIA {S}

Comment

Dell's Widescreen monitors are almost pure gold. Some of the best monitors available. I have heard some people claim that they will ghost slightly on occasion, but nothing that's anywhere near a game-breaker, as it were.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                              Dell's Widescreen monitors are almost pure gold. Some of the best monitors available. I have heard some people claim that they will ghost slightly on occasion, but nothing that's anywhere near a game-breaker, as it were.
                              Dell doent manufacture monitors, it just brands them. If you can find the real maufacturer, they may make the same monitor for multiple vendors. Then you can shop on price, not just brand name.
                              -33rd- BaneII
                              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...