Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CUstom is on Linux as well as Windows Now =)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUstom is on Linux as well as Windows Now =)

On Sunday I installed Ubuntu. I got my order of CDs on Friday but work held installing off until Sunday.

I like it alot. Really cool OS. I dunno if it was just this distro but I love how it came with everything that I would need such as Open Office and other programs. I also like how all of my hardware is working well.

How it compares to XP well I love Windows and I love Linux. I don't think Linux will replace WIndows as my main OS but I will definately keep using it.

Actaully if I have one question is are there any other options for me other then GAIM? GAIM isn't showing me my whole AIM buddy list. Is there a Linux version of Trillian or regular AIM? (Preferably trillian.)
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: CUstom is on Linux as well as Windows Now =)

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
    On Sunday I installed Ubuntu. I got my order of CDs on Friday but work held installing off until Sunday.

I like it alot. Really cool OS. I dunno if it was just this distro but I love how it came with everything that I would need such as Open Office and other programs. I also like how all of my hardware is working well.

How it compares to XP well I love Windows and I love Linux. I don't think Linux will replace WIndows as my main OS but I will definately keep using it.
    W00T! Another convert!

Actaully if I have one question is are there any other options for me other then GAIM? GAIM isn't showing me my whole AIM buddy list. Is there a Linux version of Trillian or regular AIM? (Preferably trillian.)
    Trillian is not available for linux AFAIK. There is AYTTM, which is similar:

http://ayttm.sourceforge.net/

You can get AIM for linux though:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/latest_linux.adp?aolp=

Hope that helps.

Comment

Cool thanks Mateo. BTW is Tactical OS going to be similiar to Ubuntu?

BTW I am not completely a convert. I still love Windows. To me its Windows=Linux>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OSX.

Also does Root's name come from where I am thinking it comes from?
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Cool thanks Mateo. BTW is Tactical OS going to be similiar to Ubuntu?
        Right now, there are 2 different versions of Tactical OS, one based on Debian, and another that I'm toying with that is source based.
        Last edited by Mateo; 11-28-2005, 02:44 PM.

Comment

How big will Tactical OS be? I was just reading about Feather, which is based on Knoppix and can be booted from a business card CD or from a USB memory stick.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
            How big will Tactical OS be? I was just reading about Feather, which is based on Knoppix and can be booted from a business card CD or from a USB memory stick.
            <700MB. One CD worth, compressed.

The last couple of reviews of Feather said: why bother?

Now, Puppy or DSL, those are the BOMB.

Actually, Puppy is pretty silly with all the dog referenced applications, but really slick when you think about it. In <50mb, you have a full office, web browsing, multimedia desktop.....for free.

Damn small is a little bigger, but packs alot of functionality.

I wasn't using those as a base because it is very hard to skin/brand, and alot of the tools we need (say 3D enabled Xorg, WINE, etc.) take up alot of space and dependencies.

But if there is a demand for it, I can hack it, although it won't be pretty. ;)

Comment

if possible could someone get that DSL all ready so i just have to load it to my USB....i tried and funked it so i had to redo my jump drive...they are really cool...and i VM working on my machine so i can use a live CD and mess with it
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Also does Root's name come from where I am thinking it comes from?
                It does:icon40:
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

some one is over compensating for something

root = all powerful
                  -Vulcan

Comment

I had a machine with Ubuntu on it as well as my windows box.

I was running the KDE desktop enviroment. It was pretty nice. A smooth OS, easy to use. Pretty customizable. Lots of open-source (free) programs

I just dont really like linux....Like I can see how it would be useful for some people, but for me Windows + StyleXP and a bunch of other customizers does just fine :D

Comment

I understand how you feel. I love Windows XP I have gone through so many XP machines so many different processors and hardware configs and itsrock solid. Only time I have ever had problems with Windows XP was World of Warcraft not working well (restarts) and my computer crashing. WOW I have no idea why it did that but I know the computer crashes I had were because i OCed my 9800 Pro a bit too much.

BTW Root do you even use XP?
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

BTW Root do you even use XP?
                        No. I had a laptop with it on once. By the next morning it had 98SE on it. I also use win2k when I have to.

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        some one is over compensating for something
                        Tis true. I have a very small tolerance threshold for rude people and idiots. It's quite embarrassing really.
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

LOL!! Trooper got Rooted!!

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                            No. I had a laptop with it on once. By the next morning it had 98SE on it. I also use win2k when I have to.
                            No wonder you don't like Windows...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

that is just what i was thinking.....98SE why not just go shove your foot in the door....
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...