Maybe I'll be a linux guy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I'll be a linux guy.

I am thinking about switching to linux, but i am not familiar with it, and i need some questiosn answered.

1) Is it free?
    2) Will CS:S run on it?
    3) Does it use less CPU power and RAM than windows?
    4) Can it run steam, firefox, thunderbird, [email protected], nero, google earth, ms word, Macromedia Dreamweaver+ Fireworks, Cyber DVD player, simple notepad, and word pad, trillian, Y!, Teamspeak?
    5) Will CS:S run on it?
    6) Does it have an easy setup to networks, or modems?
    7) Does it have some sort of command prompt system (CMD)?
    8) Is it compatible with most programs that will run on windows?
    9) Will CS:S run on it?

Re: Maybe I'll be a linux guy.

1....cha thats the appel of it...
    2...sure does..or atleast the almighty mateo says so..
    3...i believe so..
    4...fire fox yes im not sure on the rest...
    5...nope i dont think so
    6...real easy to work with
    7...has both command and gui
    8...you can use WINE or many emulators to run things
    9...depends on what day....weekends it doesnt like too
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

ok, well i will look into it, and get more feedback to see if it will run other programs

Comment

Originally posted by .143 Beth©
        I am thinking about switching to linux, but i am not familiar with it, and i need some questiosn answered.

1) Is it free?
        Yes. But you can buy it packaged from various vendors who provide various levels of support and give you a convenient set of packages.

Server, yes. Client, no, not natively. It might run on Cedega. Check with them for the latest news.

It depends. Linux is more modular, so you only "pay" (in memory and CPU) for what you use. Windows is monolithic, so even if you're not using the GUI, it's still there hogging memory.

4) Can it run steam, firefox, thunderbird, [email protected], nero, google earth, ms word, Macromedia Dreamweaver+ Fireworks, Cyber DVD player, simple notepad, and word pad, trillian, Y!, Teamspeak?
        Yes and no. For many of those either the brand name works or there's a free equivalent. For instance, you can replace Word with OpenOffice.

Steam: See question 2.
        Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird): Yes, native versions.
        Folding: unknown
        Nero: equivalents available
        Google Earth: unknown
        Word: Use OpenOffice
        Dreamweaver: unknown
        Cyber DVD Player,Notepad/Wordpad,Trillian: equivalents available
        Y!: unknown
        TeamSpeak: Yes, native version (both client and server)

Depends on the hardware and the distro. Don't use "winmodems" and their network equivalents that do everything in software and require proprietary drivers.

Do bears **** in the woods? :D Lots of choices in shells, all making the Windows console look pretty limited.

Depends on how many weird Windows features a program uses, and what Windows bugs it depends upon. See WINE.

Note that most Id games run natively on Linux. So does Tribes 2, and the various games once offered by the now-defunct company Loki. Any game based on Garage Games' Torque Game Engine should run natively, as TGE has a Linux port. (TGE was derived from Tribes 2.)
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

What is this today? My linux senses are tingling! Another potential convert?

Originally posted by .143 Beth©
          Lets take this one at a time.

1) Is it free?
          Most linux distributions are free. Some charge for support (SUSE, Mepis), some charge for updates (Mandriva). The bulk of the 400+ distros are free, as in beer.:icon_bigg

There is a native server. Steam and CS:S run on Cedega, or with some hacking WINE .92. WINE is free, Cedega is not. Most linux gamers prefer hacking Wine, since there seems to be better resource utilization, but getting a game to run on it can be hellish.

Linux is far friendlier on the resources, once you set it up.

Most of those have native versions, or equivalents.

Like I said, Steam runs on WINE.

MSWord, Dreamweaver, and Flash work on Crossover Office, or WINE (again, with some hacking). You probably won't need them, since Open Office, GIMP, and Inkscape can handle most of that.

Depends on the distro. Most have autosetups, or wizards to handle that. Some make you configure it via command line.

Yep.

No. There are equivalents of almost every major windows program in open source. Some better than others. Some stuff you can run on WINE, or one of the commerical variants (Crossover Office, Cedega).

You probably won't find many apps that you will need once you have a linux desktop running.

Comment

Here's my question

Do any of the distro's have a system tray like feature?

- -

Comment

The system tray is a GUI feature, and Linux has several GUI's to choose from. I believe both Gnome and KDE offer something like that.

More importantly, what aspect of the tray are you looking for? The function is more important than the name, when trying to compare features.

(I don't use the GUI much, as I'm a server admin and almost everything I do is from the command line. I use Windows as a "terminal" to host GUI stuff like Firefox and OpenOffice, and many PuTTY windows to my servers.)

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well let's say my temp monitors from MBM and HDD temp. I like to have my temps visible in the tray.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                  Here's my question

Do any of the distro's have a system tray like feature?
                  Yep. KDE has a whole plug in/system tray type setup.

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...c1+screenshots

The center area of the taskbar highlights open windows/tasks.

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=510&slide=11

On the far right are a systray that can be modified on the fly: you can add more monitors as you need to.

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/sl...e=470&slide=36

There are also system trays on other desktops.

FVWM:

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/scott/fvwm_green.png

Enlightenment:

http://www.rasterman.com/e17/s001.jpg

And others.

Comment

The raw temperature monitoring is done by a package called lm_sensors. You have to run a setup program that autodetects what hardware you have before it starts reading the sensors. You then need a GUI piece that reads the output from lm_sensors.

As I said, Linux is modular, so non-GUI systems that want to monitor the sensors don't have to eat the memory and disk charge for a GUI component they'll never use. (For instance, my Linksys router runs Linux, and one could have it send its sensor readings to a nearby PC over the network. TiVo's run Linux, as well.)

Comment

well i was doing some photo editing and my windows just took a ****....i mean all three HD's just took a crap....i put my linux HD in and everything boots up.....i need everything off of those HDs....i can use linux right......sorry beth for high jacking your thread
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        well i was doing some photo editing and my windows just took a ****....i mean all three HD's just took a crap....i put my linux HD in and everything boots up.....i need everything off of those HDs....i can use linux right......sorry beth for high jacking your thread
                        Reattach the other HDs one by one, and reboot linux. Linux will find the HD, and you can move files over to the linux HD.

Comment

Well, I'll basically be off the comp for the weekend, see you guys the next time i get on, bye bye and thanks for the input

Comment

1) Is it free?

In most cases yes, for personal yes there is very little reason to pay for a distro. I prefer Ubuntu for desktop use.

Depends, if you get the standard desktop distros they will probably be faster than XP. I generally find Win2k to be faster than Fedora or Ubuntu which are the two Desktop Distros I have used. If you go with a lightweight GUI you will be faster but I don't think that is what you are going to do, I suspect you will be running GNOME.KDE, I am a Gnome guy myself.

4) Can it run steam, firefox, thunderbird, foldi[email protected], nero, google earth, ms word, Macromedia Dreamweaver+ Fireworks, Cyber DVD player, simple notepad, and word pad, trillian, Y!, Teamspeak?

Never had much luck with the WINE, OpenOffice/AbiWord are both decent implementations of word. (OpenOffice tries to implement Office except for Access) Are they perfect, well for simple documents yes. I tried to open an EDS corporate doc in both and they did not like it one bit. There are several notepad like utilities, instead of trillian they have GAIM.

As easy as Windows? Nope. Is it bad? Depends on your hardware, I find most ethernet drivers it can pick up, for wireless its a pain. Sometimes they integrate wth Windows fileshares and sometimes don't had it both ways. I jsut ended up throwing a Linux FTP server on my Ubuntu box so I wouldnt have to fool with it.

More than you want to learn! At least 3-4 major shells and then....who knows how many minor shells.

WINE can work but I wouldn't hold your breathe, personally I would use VMWARE or something like that to load Windows onto your Linux box, if you REALLY want to use linux and REALLY want to use windows apps.

Az - Windows power user and Linux aware.

Comment

For introductions to some of the Linux distros, check out:
                              http://distrowatch.com/

You can find reviews and news about a the Linux community. Make sure to checkout the major distributions page. This will show you the top distributions along with some pros and cons. I would suggest starting with one of these first since support is more widely available than some of the lesser known ones. After you cut your teeth on them, you can always switch to another one. Think about this as test driving a car until you find the one that fits you. Totally different from the Windows experience.
                              -33rd- BaneII
                              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...