Cooling question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling question.

I'm building an Athlon 64 x2, GeForce 7800 GTX, and 160gb Western Digital Caviar Sata disk.

My case has three 80mm fans, two front and one back. Will this be adequate cooling, considering I will only run at stock speeds.

Re: Cooling question.

Plenty of cooling imo.

- -

Comment

With all the fans, it should be fine. I would be more concerned with overheating from overtaxing a stock power supply.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I think i would go with 2x120mm and 1x80mm but i guess those will do. C is right about the PSU though. Make shure you get a good one so you don't overload it.

---

Comment

I got an Antec Neopower 480 psu. It got uniformly awesome reviews, and I heard it could handle higher loads (Not that I want to test)

Comment

Good PS. Congrats. You are the first person i have seen here that knows not to get a crappy generic PS :).

---

Comment

Thanks!

Your username rocks in a similiar fashion.

Comment

LOL. I have noticed a maked increase in the amount of names involving penguins in the past month or so :).

---

Comment

I'm having serious concerns over the cooling.

The case is a kingwin KT424.
                  should I be as worried as I am?

Comment

If you think you might have any issue, go buy a thermometer. They run under $25 for decent one. This would give you piece of mind and an accurate gauge of how hot it is really getting.
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Just looked at a review on anandtech. Looks like you should be fine for cooling but if i were you i'd cut a blowhole just so you have as many fans blowing air out as you do pulling it in.

---

Comment

i think that's plenty of flow through the box! (plus, don't forget the psu has it's own fan too..) I think a big thing is making sure that the exhaust doesnt get recirculated to the intake fans.... and if you can filter the intake, that'll help too - dust makes for inefficient heatsinks.

Comment

^^^^^
                          BTW. You might want to get a high CFM fan for the back and two low or medium CFM fans for the front. Just to even out the airflow.

---

Comment

If your only running stock, that will be just fine.

You may want to look at a better heatsink for your CPU. Maybe one that is silent? Good call on the psu, antec is a good brand. I myself prefer PC Power and Cooling but they are a bit more pricey.

Also, look in to a new Opteron processor in place of that X2. They are cheaper and tested to higher standards (they are a server chip). Dual core too.

Good luck with the build

Comment

On the heatsink note i recconmend a Thermalright XP-90. I have one and it's a great cooler. The stock fan is whisper quiet too.

---

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X