A Question for Athlon 64 x2 users.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for Athlon 64 x2 users.

Has anyone been having trouble with the affinity settings in games? I've been hearing some horror stories. I'm having some severe second thoughts.

Re: A Question for Athlon 64 x2 users.

In a year from now all should be fine. I hear that in BF2 dual-core can lead to lag, but you can fix it with setting the affinity. Next xmas maybe it'll be a X2. Until then I am spending my money on periperals :-)

Comment

I would go with an Opteron over an X2. Cheaper, and tested to higher quality standards due to the fact that they are a server chip. Also dual-core.

Comment

But wouldn't an Opteron, being designed for servers and workstations, give you worse gaming performance than an X2? I don't think i'd get a dual core anyway because there are no games that will use it for a while.

---

Comment

Opertons and X2's are funtionally the same chip (minor differences). You will need to play with the affinity for certain apps and games but it's not that big of a deal and easy to do.

You will see a slight increase in some games with a X2 on nVidia hardware when running the 8X.XX drivers, not much but expect more in the future. But, as to how your games will run - same as a single core for now. Give it 2 years and most games will make use of a dual core CPU, but don't expect much before then gameing-wise.

Comment

i dont really have problem with affinity settings...... but the one game i have that dont like dual core i use a program called "runfirst" (google it, first link)

you put the runfirst file in the system32 dir, then rename your game shortcut

runfirst "C:\gamedir\Game.exe"

The game now will only see 1 CPU itself, while everything else works fine.
            From Adam Webb

Comment

BTW, if you're running Linux and need to set affinity, use the taskset command. I had to use this on my Tribes Vengeance server when running it on a dual-Xeon with Hyperthreading, and just added it to my startup script for my BF2 server. (No reports yet on whether it's an improvement for the latter. It did make a big difference for TV.)
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X