ready for Linux, I think...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ready for Linux, I think...

So i recently ran an LLF on my hard drive and partitioned it out to 2 drives. My secondary is 5 gb's for Linux.

So i started downloading Gentoo, will this be ok to start out learning linux?

Will it install on the partition with windows XP home? The partition is not formatted yet.

Anything i should know before i start this?

- -

Re: ready for Linux, I think...

i have heard that gentoo is a slut to get configured....try ubuntu
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

thats what i have and its real easy and there is alot of litterature on it.,,
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

yeah i'm reading the docs on it right now. Though it does support my 64bit CPU. Ubuntu i read a bit about but it seems it doesn't have alot of support for hardware, so i gotta check up on that.

- -

Comment

yah im thinking imma wait until tactical OS before i do my complete switch to linux,.....just cuase i think the OS will have all we need
        -Vulcan

Comment

64bit support is a little spotty with linux. There are a handful of distros that do it well.

Now, as a starting point, Gentoo is like dropping into the deep end to learn to swim. Most people swear by it once they get it running. *shrugs*It's up to you how much pain you want to go through. You do learn a lot though.

Strictly speaking, linux, in the end, is linux. The kernel doesn't change other than some distro maintainers make modifications here and there. The GCC tool chain (the core compiler) is pretty much the same on every distro.

Where the differentiation occurs is in the user space. Server based distros pretty much forgo all the bling, and focus on stability. Desktop distros sometimes include alpha code in a trade off for cutting edge features.

Why am I saying all this? Well, there is an impression that Gentoo is something unique: faster, leeter, etc. BS! Any distro can be made faster by recompiling the code for your system (5 minutes in a text editor can alter the compiler to your machine). Most just compile for general use, which means less performance, but better overall usage for the world at large.

I'd look at PClinuxOS, Ubuntu, Mepis, and Vector Linux. All have slightly different directions, and are at the top of the usability vs. performance tradeoff in my mind. Not all of them have 64bit support, but they should run.

Comment

Ok good info, i'm not really bent on 64bit support atm. I'm looking mainly for a Linux distro that's going to be ok for me to learn (i'm a tech guy) so i can handle steep learning curves, i just need to know the right information.

I'll check out your other suggestions, but i don't care if it's Windows friendly, I know i have to learn a new type of system. I've used DOS and a little bit a linux, way back. What i really need right now is to know some expected issues i can run into with Windows on the same system. I read one guide on making a linux partition.

I have a partition created with Fdisk that isn't formatted yet. My primary is NTFS and i know that's a pain, according to some guides. Any tips or good guides for that mateo?

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
              I have a partition created with Fdisk that isn't formatted yet. My primary is NTFS and i know that's a pain, according to some guides. Any tips or good guides for that mateo?
              You don't really need one.

PClinuxOS is Mandriva based, and contains their partioning/formating tool Diskdrake. Very simple and easy to use, like Partition Magic.

Ubuntu does the formatting automatically on install, just don't point the installer at your NTFS partition and you will be ok.

Mepis and Kanotix have disk partitioners and formatters based off QTParted, which is an open source clone of Partition Magic. Nice and easy.

Vector has an old fashioned installer, since it is Slackware based. So long as you don't install on the NTFS partition, you will be ok.

Comment

For NTFS, google for "captive NTFS". It uses the Linux user-space filesystem code to run MS' NTFS DLL to actually process the data on the disk. The issue with NTFS is that MS won't offer reliable information on the format so that us "commie" open source people who don't want to pay a license fee can manipulate it.

Note that you wouldn't install to NTFS. You'd use it as a data partition. My system has two Linux ext3 boot partitions, an ext3 data partition, and my Win XP64 NTFS boot partition. The latter isn't yet visible to Linux as I haven't gotten around to setting up Captive NTFS.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

thanks for the info

Ok sounds good, i know to keep a fat32 based partition for sharing between the OS's. I think i'll go with Vector Linux for now, still reading up on them.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                    thanks for the info

Ok sounds good, i know to keep a fat32 based partition for sharing between the OS's. I think i'll go with Vector Linux for now, still reading up on them.
                    Excellent choice. Fast, stable, good community.

Comment

i might try to use vector linux too just to try....
                      -Vulcan

Comment

im posting this from linux...... i started reading a bit on it the other day when my parents pc became infested with p0rn dialers etc (explain that one dad?!?!) anyway, someone in a Civ3 newsgroup mentioned about Live CD's and DVD's, so ive tried some.

Im posting this with ubuntu Live CD, and i must admit its been a INSTANT hit... its REALLY nice, and clean.

Ive also used Knoppix Live DVD, which included LOOOOOOOADDDDDDDDDs of things since it was 3.7gig. It had everything including linux style lemmins etc.

Linux has come along way in the last few years both these installs detected everything straight away, my sound, nic, mouse everything detected fine and works. The only thing i seem to be missing is a CPU....... Only CPU0 seems to be active, im not sure what i need for CPU1 to work too (i have dual core system).

I will soon be installing Linux somewhere, and then i might try installing things like HL2 and Civ4..... I know people that are using HL2 and linux, but no one that has Civ4 running yet...

Anyway, Ubuntu is great for newbies, Ive heard Gentoo is good too.
                        From Adam Webb

Comment

I've got Vector Linux on now, you forgot to mention mateo that i should ext2 format since i have windows :P

Anyway i have a problem now. It kept skipping my swap partition and so it's not using it. It also didn't recognize my onboard network adapter nForce3 250.

any ideas?

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                            *snip*The only thing i seem to be missing is a CPU....... Only CPU0 seems to be active, im not sure what i need for CPU1 to work too (i have dual core system).*snip*
                            Dual core cpus are just like running 2 seperate cpus so you need an SMP(Symetrical Multi-Processing) enabled kernel to see and use both cores. I know nothing about Ubuntu but if it's on a cd rather than a dvd they might not have had room to include an SMP kernel.
                            --
                            Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

more likely the case... doesnt matter too much as cpu0 was sitting there doing nothing mostly anyway.....so having two wouldnt make a dif!
                              From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X